LegacyGT.com

What clutch to use? (Not brand)

ResidentRedneck

So, right now I have a 2.5i with the ej253 and 5mt and im going big. Ill have an

Ej255 in my shed this weekend. Big build coming :D

Only thing I'm stuck on is the clutch. Basically I don't know if all 5MTs are the same. If they are, then I'd imagine I could just use any clutch from a WRX or a LGT. But like I said I don't know all 5mts ate the same. So are they?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

You should talk with Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com before you spend any more money.

Do you really know what your in for when putting the EJ255 in the 2.5i chassis ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yup. Nothing at all. The 253 heads bolt on to the 255 block, as does the intake manifold. I've done my research. The only thing I can't use is the clutch.

Are you planning on keeping it Normally Aspirated ?

Tuned 2.5 ecu. Trust me, I've done enough research to cover anything and everything. Like I said, all that's left is the clutch.

And before anyone says anything, go take a look in the NA section. Plenty off boosted 2.5s. Also, in not the first person to build a 253/255 hybrid.

Just let us know how it goes. I am curious as to what it will take to make an NA ecu control a turbo engine.

As far as the clutch goes - I think that some 5 speeds are "pull" type clutch engagements and some are "push" type engagements (clutch fork engagement) I would determine if it is the same as a WRX. If it is, I would think that the 06 on WRX clutch/flywheel fitment would work fine.

Just let us know how it goes. I am curious as to what it will take to make an NA ecu control a turbo engine.

As far as the clutch goes - I think that some 5 speeds are "pull" type clutch engagements and some are "push" type engagements (clutch fork engagement) I would determine if it is the same as a WRX. If it is, I would think that the 06 on WRX clutch/flywheel fitment would work fine.

Who said anything about a turbo? ;D

But I have a push type 5mt, so I guess I'll

Just get a rex clutch. Thanks a lot man!

Are you planning on keeping it Normally Aspirated ?

Not at all.

I asked you if you were keeping it "normally aspirated", you said "not at all". If it is NOT normally aspirated it is either turbocharged or Supercharged. :spin: Anyway, good luck with the project.

So, right now I have a 2.5i with the ej253 and 5mt and im going big. Ill have an

Ej255 in my shed this weekend. Big build coming :D

Only thing I'm stuck on is the clutch. Basically I don't know if all 5MTs are the same. If they are, then I'd imagine I could just use any clutch from a WRX or a LGT. But like I said I don't know all 5mts ate the same. So are they?

No you cant order any clutch due to the differences in clutch disc size btwn 2.5i and Turbo (All H4 models) There are 2.5i specific upgraded kits but you should probably size your clutch on your future power output goals to be safe and avoid dropping the gearbox excessively.

A good tune with whatever boost apparatus he plans could be very rewarding. THink about it, us 2.5i are forced to bolt turbo on EJ253 and run low boost while that isnt a bad thing the ceiling is low so then we have to build the bottom end to essentially a EJ255.

I think what he is doing is skipping the EJ253 step and going right to the final config for his boosting idea.

Otto I think you might be confused. I'm gonna have a 255 block, so shouldn't I be able to use a WRX clutch?

06-09 5MT Legacys all have the same FW the difference is the clutch pack and fork. No matter what EJ block you are using or EZ for that matter youll need to ensure you have the right fork to support the clutch pack. 2.5i fork is slightly different than LGT (06-09) due to larger disc and different TOB and snout. No big issue just use the LGT fork/parts along with LGT specific clutch pack if you go that route.

If you are going for big power (relative to stock 2.5i) just go ahead with the LGT specific parts and you want need to worry about however you could go with a stage 1 kit from Exedy made for the 2.5i (really made for all N/A 5MT H4's 02-09). Just figure out power goals then go from there. Dont want a toasted clutch 100 miles post build

If your plans are 450hp, your discussion should center around a 6-speed transmission not an N/A 5-speed.

True a 07 STi 6MT grearbox would be a great DD solution. Built 5MT would be better for track.

I'm shooting for about 450hp, so I doubt the stage 1 will work. But damn, thanks man! Glad I figured this out now lol

450 to the wheels :eek: youll need several thousands of dollars worth of engine stuff :lol: meth, fueling, turbo or SC, tuning, cooling, induction, exhaust, oiling, porting, polishing, diffs, axles, brakes, mounts, telemetry then youll need a beefy clutch pack something that will handle 550-600hp from the crank.

Whatever you have planned with those numbers in mind it going to be big.

Archived