LegacyGT.com

BLOWN VF-52's

• Mega Users
Well, I guess it was only a matter of time before this thread was started. And I feel that I qualify to start this thread since I've been dealing with this for close to 3 weeks now. I purchased a new VF-52, had it installed by a Subaru dealership, got my tune going, everything was gravy and BAM 900 miles later it blew up. I was in WV at the time, had it towed back to the dealership in VA by AAA and there it sits. They contacted me a leisurely couple of days later and told me that my turbo was blown(geniuses). I was given no cause of failure other than "defective turbo." The dealership isn't helping me w/ the warranty because the part is not OEM (even though they assured me it would be covered before the work was done). They will have an unpleasant day tomorrow since the shop manager is getting back from his vacation....hahahahaha. And SOA, well fat chance they'll even lift a finger (I've already been through them on the phone a few times). I did all of this to replace an already crappy VF-40 with an apparently crappier VF-52. If anyone else has a similar story/information/advice, post it on up.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users
The turbo was barely given time to be broken in. I got my base tune from Infamous 1 installed properly and seeing as how I didn't do fuel mods that was fine for the time being. It wasn't driven hard, it hardly saw boost, although i did test it after about 600-700 miles just to see what peak boost i was hitting (around 15psi). At the same time my laptop's hard drive conveniently became corrupted so that was out getting fixed while the car was running so I couldn't datalog it and continue with the tune. So all in all it's been a really great summer.

• Mega Users

Well, you're absolutely right. The lady i was talking to through SOA told me that the turbo failed because it wasn't "suited" for my car (whatever that means). She had a hard time actually describing the real physical cause of the failure. I've been told what car this turbo is suited for about 100 times. I've been left feeling that I know more about these cars than the idiots that work on them.

This is the actual quote of what the Subaru shop manager said:

Me: "Well, throughout this whole ordeal, nobody has actually given me a reason as to why the turbo failed."

Shop Manager: "Defective turbo. How about that?"

Now that I think about it, it seems like he said that just to shut me up. I'm driving there this afternoon to go knock some heads.

Well, you're absolutely right. The lady i was talking to through SOA told me that the turbo failed because it wasn't "suited" for my car (whatever that means). She had a hard time actually describing the real physical cause of the failure. I've been told what car this turbo is suited for about 100 times. I've been left feeling that I know more about these cars than the idiots that work on them.

This is the actual quote of what the Subaru shop manager said:

Me: "Well, throughout this whole ordeal, nobody has actually given me a reason as to why the turbo failed."

Shop Manager: "Defective turbo. How about that?"

Now that I think about it, it seems like he said that just to shut me up. I'm driving there this afternoon to go knock some heads.

Good luck.

To those bashing the dealership, I'm a bit confused. What do you expect them to do here? Dealership service centers don't provide warranties, they just do analysis and work which is then covered under SOA's warranty (or other if applicable). If there were some sort of warranty on the VF52 (which there's nothing like that I've ever heard of), all they would be doing is submitting the findings and the cost of parts/labor back to SOA.

When you put an aftermarket part on a car, SOA doesn't warranty it. If it breaks, that sucks, because you get to replace it. The dealership service center MIGHT be kind enough to replace the thing for you since they were the ones who installed it, but if it's truly just a defective part, I doubt they'll lift a finger.

You could try to get in touch with IHI over the ordeal, since they are responsible for manufacturing a faulty turbo. Not much to be said past that though.

Shouldnt the turbo itself have its own warranty? You shouldnt have to get it covered by the vehicle warranty.

Call the BBB and let them take some heat.

Worse comes to worse, get the thing rebuilt by deadbolt and then take it to a real shop for install..

good luck man

If it's a defective turbo, get it in writing ASAP.

Parts are covered by their own warranty when supplied by the OEM. If the shop manager or whomever wants to say defective turbo, then get it in writing and ask for a replacement part for free.

Then get the hell away from that dealership and get someone else to install the new one and make sure to flush your system properly, prime the turbo, and check the banjo bolt (in case the turbo did more than just crap out).

Joe

If it's a defective turbo, get it in writing ASAP.

Parts are covered by their own warranty when supplied by the OEM. If the shop manager or whomever wants to say defective turbo, then get it in writing and ask for a replacement part for free.

Then get the hell away from that dealership and get someone else to install the new one and make sure to flush your system properly, prime the turbo, and check the banjo bolt (in case the turbo did more than just crap out).

Joe

See this is what my understanding was. An OEM replacement turbo or any OEM turbo would have some form of part warranty (even if it was something like 3 months/3000 miles) I can't imagine there is no warranty whatsoever on an OEM part.

• Mega Users
If there were some sort of warranty on the VF52 (which there's nothing like that I've ever heard of)

I'm sure you don't know a lot of things so I'll excuse your comment there. This thread is for people that have experienced this or people interested in a VF-52, not naysayers.

My main beef with them is that they assured me that the work that they did would be covered. Any kind of work done on a car has some sort of period of coverage from the shop that did the work. The actual VF-52 has a warranty from the factory, that should be redeemable in any situation, especially when it is a defective part. It is a Genuine Subaru Part, installed by a Subaru dealer, on a Subaru car. I know SOA actually does the coverage but I know the dealer isn't trying to help me. They contacted SOA, they were told that the part number for the turbo didn't match the car, and it was case closed for them. I want them to want to help me because all parties involved knew it was not an OEM part before it was installed. I'm just not in the business of being lied to so that is why I'm holding the dealership responsible. If they had told me that it would be like this, I never would've had it installed. It's their fault and only their fault. If I make their lives miserable enough, they might feel like trying to get it covered. They could say "Oh, well we told this person the part and work would be covered so as not to sully our reputation, we really need to get this done to help out our loyal customers." Something like that would work.

• Mega Users
See this is what my understanding was. An OEM replacement turbo or any OEM turbo would have some form of part warranty (even if it was something like 3 months/3000 miles) I can't imagine there is no warranty whatsoever on an OEM part.

It comes with a 1 YEAR UNLIMITED MILES WARRANTY. I'm slightly below that limit.

• Mega Users
No more speculation is needed. The facts are there and that's that. I'm thinking of bringing my laptop with me and showing them this thread. Just so they know that I'm just button presses away from smearing their name all over the internet. I'll join NASIOC and whatever else I can just to make them sweat.

Did you get them to put any of this implied warranty that they told you would be honored in writing? The VF52 from SOA would have a 1 year warranty when installed on a car that comes with one OEM, but definitely not on a car that came with a different turbo.

I don't fault you for holding the service center responsible for lying to you. But that should be the part you're trying to push, not the others, since I have a feeling they have documents that explain those points to the opposite.

Don't do that, yet. My .02.

First off, you can't trust a word they say (Nor should you have, as you should have their promises in writing). So I'll assume for this post that it's not in writing somewhere.

Get documentation of the parts warranty

Get documentation of their warranty on labor

Get documentation that the service manager said it was a defective turbo.

Present the dealership with their requirements, in writing, that the part is defective and is covered under subaru's parts warranty, that the labor should be covered under their labor warranty (maybe that's posted in the shop somewhere)?

Those things are OUTSIDE of the vehicle warranty and it should not matter that the part isn't matched to the car. They supplied the part and installed it. If it's a defective part supplied by them, and they put that in writing, then the onus is on the dealership to provide a new working part and the labor necessary to un-install the defective one and re-install the new one.

If they balk at that, then you can go ape shit.

Until then, it just sounds like they tried to get your vehicle warranty to cover it, which it shouldn't cover.

Joe

Did you get them to put any of this implied warranty that they told you would be honored in writing? The VF52 from SOA would have a 1 year warranty when installed on a car that comes with one OEM, but definitely not on a car that came with a different turbo.

I don't fault you for holding the service center responsible for lying to you. But that should be the part you're trying to push, not the others, since I have a feeling they have documents that explain those points to the opposite.

I agree with this, but what I'd say is that he needs to get the "defective turbo" part in writing ASAP.

He can nail them with that. If instead they write down "Turbo not suited for car and only installed by customer's request" then he's screwed.

But if they commit that the part was defective, he's probably covered at the end of the day.

Joe

turbo isn't meant for the car. They will use that against you.

Also, you're not running stock EM but an aftermarket tune. They can point out that the tune may have caused an issue that may have resulted in the failure (maybe an overboost).

I'd ask them for the turbo back. If you can prove oil starvation and they installed it you may have a leg to stand on with the dealership, not SoA.

Pretty sure there are warranties attached to the VF52 if you buy it through the stealership, as I'm understanding you did, so it should be replaced...or else they are being d bags.

I bash the dealerships because either A: You can go in and they will understand you spent money there, etc and help you out through the process or B: They can fight literally everything possible because they don't care if you ever by a car again or not, as long as they save a bit of money on replacing a turbo.

I've been to both types, but as far as Subaru ownership, I've run into a lot more dealerships that give you more shit then they really need to, I've found a few that actually care about you as the customer and do whatever they can to help ya out.

No more speculation is needed. The facts are there and that's that. I'm thinking of bringing my laptop with me and showing them this thread. Just so they know that I'm just button presses away from smearing their name all over the internet. I'll join NASIOC and whatever else I can just to make them sweat.

And they can sue you for defamation of character. Best bet, get the turbo warrantied from whoever you bought it from and go from there.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Archived