LegacyGT.com

Engine swap

Cam belt guide plate. Auto motor doesn't have it. If you roll the car backwards in gear with the engine not running you can pop the belt off the crank sprocket. Bad juju. Guide plate is cheap and easy to fit.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

You'll need two of those, one for each side.

Hey, why on earth would you roll the car backwards in gear without the engine running...how do you do that...think about it.

The engine would have to have very little compression or your pushing the car with a big truck...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I swapped in a sti motor that came off my brothers sti and it didnt have this. The belt jumped slipped timing and bent a valve in my head.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

I swapped in a sti motor that came off my brothers sti and it didnt have this. The belt jumped slipped timing and bent a valve in my head.

That blows

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

That's the right part but the sheet metal OEM does the job for much less money.

AT models don't have those either? If not, add them.

Hey, why on earth would you roll the car backwards in gear without the engine running...how do you do that...think about it

People park on hills with the car in gear all the time. It only takes a bit of bad luck. You're 60 and have never once had a brainfart and hit the starter or released the handbrake without checking you were in neutral? :notworthy: Maybe I'm careless but I've done both more than once. Sure no slobs like me might borrow your car? Okay, go ahead and enjoy the $5 you saved not buying these. I know someone who did this and boy was he sorry he skimped.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

That's the right part but the sheet metal OEM does the job for much less money.

AT models don't have those either? If not, add them.

People park on hills with the car in gear all the time. It only takes a bit of bad luck. You're 60 and have never once had a brainfart and hit the starter or released the handbrake without checking you were in neutral? :notworthy: Maybe I'm careless but I've done both more than once. Sure no slobs like me might borrow your car? Okay, go ahead and enjoy the $5 you saved not buying these. I know someone who did this and boy was he sorry he skimped.

Thanks for the explanation. ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thanks for the explanation. ;)

No offense intended Max.

I don't know how common it is to mess up the spacing on those guides, but gates has a tsb out on the spacing. I figure it couldn't hurt to throw this link out there.

https://www.gates.com/~/media/files/gates/automotive/resources/tech-tips-and-tsbs/subaru-spacer-tool.pdf

I had it happen. Started my car and then ran inside the house to grab something and when I came back outside my car wasn't running. I thought it was odd. I tried to start it but it cranked slowly and sounded like a dead battery. 2 nights of wtf happened laying outside in my driveway during a WI January when I decided to pull the timing cover and sure enough the gears didn't line up. There was some rubber build up on the timing belt guide and some wear on the back of the belt. Reset the belt and lucky me it fired up no problem. This was months after dumping a bunch of $ on parts and a tune.

It's just two bolt holes and it doesn't look adjustable, but it's critical not to have it too close.

kmoleg05-Line up a buyer for the old engine yet?

I have some guys on WI Legacy's that have some interest... I am bringing it to the shop Saturday, if the damage is anything further then rings the long block will be for sale. If its a valve or head-gasket i will be fixing it. I can keep you posted if you want it... also did you purchase the tool for the guide spacing??? Or just keep in mind to allow clearance when tightening the bolts down?

Hey, why on earth would you roll the car backwards in gear without the engine running...how do you do that...think about it.

The engine would have to have very little compression or your pushing the car with a big truck...

plus the one on the crank, which really is the most important of the 3 (crank pulley is the smallest, if it's gonna skip, it's gonna skip there). I'm 90% certain the autos already have the guides over the intake cam pulleys. . .it's the crank pulley belt guide that is not used on slushboxes.

http://parts.bestbuysubaru.com/p/Subaru_2005_Legacy25L-TURBO-5MT-4WDGT-Limited-Wagon/GUIDE-TIMING-BELT/49225067/13145AA021.html

And to clarify, the condition this helps to mitigate is timing belt skipping as a result of rolling the car backwards while in a forward gear (or vice-versa) and dumping the clutch. . or the above scenario of being pulled/pushed/dragged while in gear.

Point is it attempts to prevent slack in the belt from allowing the belt to skip when rotating the crank in the opposite direction it normally spins.

The Gates TCK comes with a plastic gage used to set the clearance of those guides. I probably have half a dozen of them in my toolbox. . .

• 2 weeks later...

OK QUICK?

So the motor that i was going to get was a 05 lgt with an auto trans.. well i guess the engine lift failed when removing it damaging the motor. Now the company would like to send me a motor from a 2011 wrx with 44k, they said the only difference is the air injection ports in the back of the heads. They are installing block off plates to compensate. Does this all sound legit?? Will any issues rise up will tunning this motor? I know people do STI swaps and this engine should be closer to oem then an STI i would think..

Any Input??!!

tanks!

PM Brian at TA, he may know the answer. http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/tuning-alliance-121.html

I know this is done and the block off plates work. I haven't had to go down that path, but it can/has been done.

I think BMB may know more too.

I'm not sure about how much of the engine they are sending, but here's some thoughts:

- Our TGV will bolt directly to the head.

- D25 head will raise compression by...an amount. Some people say negligible, others say well into 9.x range. Tuning Alliance happens to be tuning my 257/D25/vf52 combo currently with stock injectors. It can be done.

- See if you can get a build date for the donor car. The D25 oil feeds on the passenger changed at some point. It may not be compatible with your current hard oil feed lines. If you study the part diagrams between 2010 to 2014 WRX, you can see what I mean. It's not a terrible thing to fix, you may just need to buy some new oil lines.

- Valvetrain, cams, cam gears, timing...all interchangeable between B25 and D25 heads.

- If you are buying a Subaru engine gasket set, buy it for the year heads you are using.

I don't think I encountered anything significant in using later WRX heads.

Archived