LegacyGT.com

Any LGTs running 245/40/17s on 17x8 +48 Ultraleggeras?

hassa

Like the title states, any 05-09 LGTs running 245/40/17s on 17x8 +48 Ultraleggeras? If so, with what tires and did you have to do anything to make them fit??? I'll probably just get 235s instead to keep it safe but figured what the hell and try to go as wide as possible.

Like the title states, any 05-09 LGTs running 245/40/17s on 17x8 +48 Ultraleggeras? If so, with what tires and did you have to do anything to make them fit??? I'll probably just get 235s instead to keep it safe but figured what the hell and try to go as wide as possible.

im running this exactly. 245/40/17s on 17x8 +48 Ultraleggeras. im on kumho ecsta XS. you may need a slight fender roll depending on how low you are.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my comparo of 235's vs. 245's:

1) A bit cheaper

2) A bit lighter

3) Slightly lower polar moment of inertia

4) Slightly lower gearing resulting in faster acceleration; also affected by 3)

5) More wheel well clearance

6) Lower ride height (con?)

1) Wider footprint

2) More tire choices

3) Slightly higher gearing resulting in better gas mileage

4) Higher ride height (con?)

1) A bit cheaper -not always. depends on the tire.

2) A bit lighter -also depends on the tire, yes if the exact same model but 10mm or rubber will not affect the weight enough to feel on the street. the increase or decrease in contact patch will be more noticeable in terms of grip.

3) Slightly lower polar moment of inertia -such a small difference, its a non-issue

4) Slightly lower gearing resulting in faster acceleration; also affected by 3) - you never listed sidewall ratio. if its a 235/40/17 vs a 245/40/17 then yes, but most here run a 45 sidewall if they get a 235 wide tire so in that case it will be higher gearing, not lower.

5) More wheel well clearance -this has alot to do with the rim offset and width as well as tire brand. there are some 235 wide tires that actually run wide compared to some other 245 wide tires that run narrow. the section with of a tire is not absolute for the tread with measurement. different model and brand 245 wide tires can vary up to 1" in section width.

6) Lower ride height (con?) - also depends on the sidewall ratio 235/45/17 will be taller and ride higher than a 245/40/17

1) Wider footprint -not always see my response to 5)

2) More tire choices -depends on the sidewall measurement

3) Slightly higher gearing resulting in better gas mileage -not always see my response to 5) and 6)

4) Higher ride height (con?)-not always see my response to 5) and 6)

I should have indicated that I was comparing the same make and model 235/40-17's to 245/40-17's, the two most appropriate sizes for a 17x8 wheel. I guess you could go with a 225/45-17, but you wouldn't need 17x8's. 235/45-17 is almost 3% larger than stock and is not, IMO, a good choice. Based on these constraints I stand by my comparo.

1) A bit cheaper

2) A bit lighter

3) Slightly lower polar moment of inertia

4) Slightly lower gearing resulting in faster acceleration; also affected by 3)

5) More wheel well clearance

6) Lower ride height (con?)

1) Wider footprint

2) More tire choices

3) Slightly higher gearing resulting in better gas mileage

4) Higher ride height (con?)

Archived