LegacyGT.com

Any not replace spark plugs at 60k?

Just had the 60k service done on my 2005 LGT wagon. I had it done at a reputable local import shop (Hoshi Motors in Boulder, CO if anyone is interested). They pulled a plug.. told me that it was an iridium plug.. and that I won't need to replace them till 100k. The car runs fine.. no issues at all. Just curious what to make of this as the spark plug maintenance interval in the manual clearly says replace at 60k.

Thanks.

In Boulder, if you have a Subaru. and need general work done. You got to Super Rupair. They are the largest independent Subaru shop in the nation.

If Hoshi had to pull the plug to tell you it was Iridium... Every suby guy knows the stock plugs are Iridium on the turbos.

And yes, you should replace them regaurdless of what they look like.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

In Boulder, if you have a Subaru. and need general work done. You got to Super Rupair. They are the largest independent Subaru shop in the nation.

If Hoshi had to pull the plug to tell you it was Iridium... Every suby guy knows the stock plugs are Iridium on the turbos.

Excellent! Thank you for the advice. I will check out Super Rupair and have them replace the plugs. I don't understand Hoshi motors.. they come so highly recommended.. but they don't seem too keen on newer cars. I guess if I had a '89 Civic that needed a brake job.. I'd take it there.

You got that right! I changed my plugs last weekend with Autolite double platinums ($9.00 after rebate) and it took me all of 40 minutes. Did have to remove the air cleaner which took about 10. Hardest part is pulling those dam boots off. FWIW car is running as good as before.

• 3 weeks later...

Well.. not the guy I just spoke with at Super Rupair. I called to get a price quote for the plugs + installation. He first said the plugs are $2.50 each. I said Uhhhhhhh.. until he asked "wait.. it's a turbo?" And I repeated "Yes.. 2005 Legacy GT". Then he said "XT?" and I said "no.. GT". Then he insisted that they are platinum plugs that go for $14.50. I kinda felt like I was part of a comedy routine at this point.. so I thanked him for his time and hung up. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and doing the plugs myself despite the complexity.

The plugs are not that hard to do, and they are easier on the '05 then '06 and up because the don't have the pump on the front driver's side of the engine. You might have to pull the airbox and/or the battery, but if you are even semi mechanically inclined it shouldn't take much more then an hour.

Archived