LegacyGT.com

You they serious?? <RANT>

The driver side low beam bulb in my '11 OB LTD 3.6 popped sometime in the last few days. For the record, the car was registered in August of 2010, so it's really about 18 months old - still a ridiculously short bulb life.

Anyway, I picked up a bulb at Advance last night and took a peek at the headlamp housing. Hmm, not alot of room in there behind the battery. Looks like two bolts release the housing and you can replace the bulb after pulling the housing forward. I remove the two bolts, but the housing stayed put. Out comes the owners manual.

Huh? "Step 1 - Remove fender liner, see page XX for instructions on fender liner removal."

WTF????

The entire process of changing single headlamp bulb took me an hour, involved removing the battery, working blind with fingertips, and turned my right forearm in to chopped meat by reaching through the fender to the headlamp housing. :mad: Fail.

FWIW, after you rotate and remove a locking pin on my '05 Silverado, the entire headlamp/marker assembly comes out with enough wire on the harness to do the replacement in your lap.

Love my Outback, but sometimes I think Subaru goes to extremes to demonstrate stupidity.

• 2 weeks later...
I am surprised that there are A small few of us ... I was beginning to think this was A re call problem, I'm dissappointed it isnt because its unfair to have to rip apart your entire front end every few months when I traded in for my former Caddy, two yrs nd not once ... WTF ... Subaru needs to mend this B.S. or this will be the first nd last one ... HELP !!!

• 3 weeks later...

That reminds me of my coworker who just bought a Prius. She wanted help with replacing her headlight, which had burned out. I was about to offer to do it for her, until I learned that you have to REMOVE THE FRONT BUMPER...

...seriously, what in the hell?! Can you imagine if everything was made that way? "To replace the filter in your coffee machine, begin by unscrewing the three bolts holding the heater plate assembly..."

Yeah it really is ridiculous. I have a 2010 Outback with 25,000 miles- already replaced the passenger side. Didn't want to drive 40 minutes to the dealer but they reimbursed me for the cost of the headlight.

I was thinking of possibly cutting a little hatch in the wheel well to access these lights over the next decade. Or since that's probably just a fantasy, maybe go with the HIDs.

At least they made the gas cap accessible!

• 4 weeks later...
HID lights are not meant for halogen projectors. The light is released in an arc on HIDs and will cause a wired pattern that may blind on coming drivers when used in a halogen projector lens.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived