LegacyGT.com

Need help with 05 OBXT sleeper build

So i been lurking for awhile and decided to finally make a thread for my 05 OBXT build, last January i blew a rod bearing and swapped in a used longblock, but this January lost compression in cylinder #4 (pretty sure burnt valve) anyways i have a ej255 short block i have completely stripped down and ready to go to hot tank/machine shop. But what im looking for help with is what parts i should go with for the build, would like to be making a steady 350hp... am i crazy? maybe but id like to put together a parts list... now im not going to say what parts/brands i have in mind yet because i would like to get your opinion on what i should be using in the build, everything from internals forged rods/pistons stock crank?, exhaust, inter-cooler (FMIC OR TMIC) any other upgrades i should or have to make? I want this to be a somewhat reliable build (as reliable as you get with a subaru) Thanks in advance for all the help, and let this be a interesting and fun build that in the end will put out decent numbers on the dyno :icon_lol::icon_bigg:cool:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am assuming you want a true reading 350hp to the wheels. This is what I "want" to do to my car, but never will (probably)

Built engine - Forged Pistons / King bearings

Dom1.5xtr

KillerB holy header

ETS FMIC / some BPV

downpipe

EBCs

Clutch that can support it

Fuel injectors

Fuel pump

KillerB pan/pick-up/baffle

Infamous Performance and Tuning / Delicious tuning E85 flexfuel kit (this will probably up the power 80-100 over the above set-up)

Random other parts

LegacyGT brakes / decent pads (needs stop to match your go)

Transmission

STI / SPEC B 6spd for when your 5spd brakes.

I know I am missing a lot, but there are a lot of little parts to think about here.

Yeah ive got a decent idea, but im still new to the subaru game, heres what ive been thinking as far as parts so far:

Brand new stock crank from Subaru

Mahle 4032 piston

Manley H beam forged rods

Full acl race bearings

Arp head studs

Aftermarket crank pulley

v3 AP

Fuel:

DW25 fuel pump

Injector dynamics 1000 injectors

Turbo:

Now im leaning towards a tomioka 20g turbo because i know where i can get one fairly cheep brand new

I was originally thinking of going with a AVO TMIC but now im leaning towards a FMIC due to bigger turbo needing more cooling.

So thats what i am thinking for a parts list so far but im looking for more input on what else i should be adding/changing

• Moderators

If you stick with a TMIC, go with either a process west (hard to find) or a grimmspeed. If you want to go FMIC, look at the one that SBT is selling on the forum here!

OB2.5XT has a fairly complete starting list. Build components for the motor probably aren't as important as who is actually building it.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

And LGT brakes, struts, rear upper control arms and bump stops are also in the future as i want it lower but still functional, but right now im trying to focus on drivetrain, ive thought about the 6spd swap but that an expensive and big decision i havnt decided on yet

Sounds like you're on the right track.....on e85 you'll be able to hold 350 all day. Maybe racer-x FMIC if it fits "it should" as I'm running the same thing. The only thing I see missing is an intake....it's not necessary for your build but, it'll make running the IC piping a lot easier. You'll also be needing a high flow cat.... I would also suggest a tuner local to your area if possible....e-tunes work but personal tunes by a good tuner are better.

Im actually not looking to run E85... probably just because of lack of knowledge of it (really need to educate myself more on E85) but yeah i also have to decide on an intake, any ideas? but im probably going to be running a High flow Catted DP and full cat back system. Also i live in CT so theres a few good choices for Subaru tuning shops like, EFI logics, ECS, and TheshopCT

Yes i absolutely love that build, thats inspiration for sure for my build, even though mi y build will not be as amazing as his

350 wheel horsepower is a lot. Just be ready to spend.

I suggest you define how much you are willing to spend and start your build from there.

The other question is - do you know what 350 wheel HP feels like, why did you pick that number, etc, etc.

Im looking at around 5k towards this build in the first place, which i know isnt a whole lot towards a build with this amount of HP, want to go second hand on some parts to save some money. And i also have a 67 GTO numbers matching with 360hp stock so id like to make my daily a bit more fun and have a sleeper wagon. Also need to pick up another truck so ill be using that as a DD possibly. My father also has a Germany import Brabus 500sel benz and a done up 240z hes building. I like the platform of these subarus and im far from rich but my car is my pride and joy, so why not make it my own. And the thought of having a great sleeper wagon and keeping my insurance rates down (minus more speeding tickets) i am fond of.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere on these forums that if u want anymore than 350 at the wheels; even an aftermarket tmic will be your limiting factor. If it were me and that was my specific goal I'd probably grab a fmic for a little breathing room. Good luck with your parts list, I just had to do the same thing. (Burnt valve, bad ring land) Mr. Tris and Max Capacity's build threads were a lot of help. Just FYI

My build on my 05 OBXT

100mm Weisco Pistons

ACL Race Bearings

New STi Crank

Kelford r-199 b camshafts

Supertech valves/springs/retainers

Mild head porting

Arp head bolts

Kstech 73mm cai (for fitting fmic)

SAMCO 2.4 turbo inlet

Dom 1.5xt-r turbo

Racer x fmic

Turbosmart kompact bpv

Grimmspeed 8mm spacers

Grimmspeed ebcs

Tgv deletes

ID 1000cc topfeed injectors

ID topfeed conversion rails

Agency power parallel fuel line kit

Aeromotive fpr

Dw 65c fp

Dw hardwire fp kit

STi fpcm w/ upgraded wiring

Killer B holy headers/up pipe

Invidia carted dp

Nameless performance catback w/ 5in mufflers

CM FX350 clutch w/ 08 Wrx SMFW and TOB kit

On a conservative tune (my stock 5mt in mind) made 317/317 on awdTuning's mustang dyno.

Other misc. to control the above mentioned chaos:

Killer b pickup/baffle/pan

SAMCO hose suites

Group n engine/trans/pitch stop

Whiteline bushings everything available plus bump steer kit and rear control arms

Whiteline swaybars and endlinks

Dba slotted rotors

Legacy gt calipers

Hawk hps pads

Ss brake lines

All new gaskets and fluids.

Off the top of my head, just to give you an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I remembered reading somewhere on these forums that if u want anymore than 350 at the wheels; even an aftermarket tmic will be your limiting factor. If it were me and that was my specific goal I'd probably grab a fmic for a little breathing room. Good luck with your parts list, I just had to do the same thing. (Burnt valve, bad ring land) Mr. Tris and Max Capacity's build threads were a lot of help. Just FYI

Grimmspeed / Process West TMIC should be able to handle it. Would be a easier with a FMIC though.

@ benjamin - I had no idea your car was so built. That must be a blast to drive.

Im actually not looking to run E85... probably just because of lack of knowledge of it (really need to educate myself more on E85) but yeah i also have to decide on an intake, any ideas? but im probably going to be running a High flow Catted DP and full cat back system. Also i live in CT so theres a few good choices for Subaru tuning shops like, EFI logics, ECS, and TheshopCT

Not sure where I got e85 from, must have corn of the brain. I can tell you from experience, if you want a TRUE sleeper....you don't need cat back. Headers, up/down pipes and possible a little custom work depending on down pipe and high flow cat. Don't get me wrong, you're leaving some power on the table. You should be able to obtain your goals following that and it'll be quiet as stock. I'm running K&N typhoon, it does the job. Oh ya, while your building you'll do your self a BiG favor with TGV deletes at a minimum take out the flaps.

Grimmspeed / Process West TMIC should be able to handle it. Would be a easier with a FMIC though.

@ benjamin - I had no idea your car was so built. That must be a blast to drive.

While I enjoy it, passengers aren't quite as keen to it. It is a loud, vibrating, rattling, highway droning machine. This is my first "built" car so I'm living out my lust for loud and crass. The nameless catback certainly negates most of the sleeper aspect.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/24/69a840085de41a42fa6c6cf5da1991b1.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/24/802218e194698d63ba4a962d8da7fffe.jpg

Sorry to thread jack and a dirty car. More go, less show.

While I enjoy it, passengers aren't quite as keen to it. It is a loud, vibrating, rattling, highway droning machine. This is my first "built" car so I'm living out my lust for loud and crass. The nameless catback certainly negates most of the sleeper aspect.

Sorry to thread jack and a dirty car. More go, less show.

Any dyno graphs with of your set-up?

Benjamin M i really admire that build on your XT, i like how clean it is and i really like the stance too. And ive actually got another set of TGV's sitting around so ill probably do the TGV delete on them, im curious to if someone took out the flaps, and the divider, and then still ran the rod, and maybe shaved it down a bit, i wonder if you can still see the power but not have to worry about that CEL you'll typically see, i however also wonder if leaving the rod will effect the air flow much. What are other options to get rid of the CEL? i know a tune can take care of it, just curious if theres other options.

And as far as exhaust, i do want some sound... which im not really set on what to run, i do alot of highway driving and want something that wont be TOO loud at a lower rpm like on the highway, but still would like good flow.

I've got the Borla resonated catback on my wagon and have driven 2x 13 hour trips and I didn't notice a drone at all. I haven't extended the tips either yet. The one thing you would need though with the outback is to either change the tips to turndowns or acquire the JDM outback rear bumper with cutouts for exhaust or do the cutouts yourself.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Archived