LegacyGT.com

Single License Plate Bill Introduced in Virginia Legislature

mattmattyxcore

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa_2013VA1&g=SEMAGA

Virginia legislation (S.B. 771) prefiled in the legislature for 2013 proposes to reduce the number of license plates furnished by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to registered motor vehicles. Under the bill, favored by state hobbyists, the DMV would issue only one license plate (rather than two) and require the single plate to be attached to the rear of the vehicle.

We Urge You to Contact Members of the Senate Transportation Committee (Contact Info Below) Immediately to Request Support for S.B. 771

S.B. 771 would apply to every registered motor vehicle, semitrailer or trailer, including hobby cars such as antique, reconstructed and replica vehicles.

S.B. 771 would protect the aesthetic contours of collector cars and relieve vehicle owners of the burden of having to create mounting holes on fabricated bumpers, etc.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Virginia Senate Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to request their support for S.B. 771.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

Virginia Senate Transportation Committee

To e-mail all Committee members, copy and paste the email address block below:

district23@senate.virginia.gov; district05@senate.virginia.gov; district16@senate.virginia.gov; district10@senate.virginia.gov; district38@senate.virginia.gov; district07@senate.virginia.gov; district14@senate.virginia.gov; district25@senate.virginia.gov; district04@senate.virginia.gov; district19@senate.virginia.gov; district37@senate.virginia.gov; district08@senate.virginia.gov; district29@senate.virginia.gov; district40@senate.virginia.gov; district31@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Stephen Newman (Chair)

Phone: 804-698-7523

Email: district23@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Yvonne B. Miller

Phone: 804-698-7505

Email: district05@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Henry L. Marsh III

Phone: 804-698-7516

Email: district16@senate.virginia.gov

Senator John Watkins

Phone: 804-698-7510

Email: district10@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Phillip Puckett

Phone: 804-698-7538

Email: district38@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Frank Wagner

Phone: 804-698-7507

Email: district07@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Harry Blevins

Phone: 804-698-7514

Email: district14@senate.virginia.gov

Senator R. Creigh Deeds

Phone: 804-698-7525

Email: district25@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Ryan McDougle

Phone: 804-698-7504

Email: district04@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Ralph Smith

Phone: 804-698-7519

Email: district19@senate.virginia.gov

Senator David Marsden

Phone: 804-698-7537

Email: district37@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Jeffry McWaters

Phone: 804-698-7508

Email: district08@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Charles Colgan

Phone: 804-698-7529

Email: district29@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Charles Carrico Sr.

Phone: 804-698-7540

Email: district40@senate.virginia.gov

Senator Barbara Favola

Phone: 804-698-7531

Email: district31@senate.virginia.gov

That's great. But let's teach officers from other States to honor VA single plate laws. I'd hate to get tickets in MD, DC, PA, etc. for only having a single plate when driving through their States.

only need 1 plate in PA :p

you wont get a ticket for driving through their states if your car is registered in a single plate state

You are not supposed to, because you are protected by the federal interstate act. However, for some reason, majority of police officers do not know this, or assume that such citations are easy money for their county. If you want to fight the ticket and you are obviously an out of towner, you have to show up to court.

Google "received ticket for no front plate" and check all the discussions on this topic in the Leo forums. It angers me to no end. They treat window tint the same way. Say I am driving through a state like VA and my car is registered in Florida where I have darker tints. Cop says, "Well you are in my jurisdiction now and have to abide by my laws."

Archived