LegacyGT.com

how to change brake light bulb '05 L wagon

• 1 year later...

1. Open the rear hatch

2. Unscrew and remove the two Pop rivets holding the black plastic that rests against the tail lights

3. Remove cover

4. Remove bolts that hold tail light onto body

5. Pull tail light towards the rear of the car.

6. Unscrew Bulb socket, replace bulb.

That's what I was afraid of... I knew enough to remove the two pop rivets but wasn't sure how to accomplish step #3 without breaking anything.

Pull out/up the black plastic cover that the pop rivets were holding?

Pry the lens itself away in some manner? slide it? Will sex wax help any?

Say fugetaboudit and head over to Subieland and let them do it and be responsible for any breakage?

Guess I'll have to put a little 'umphh' into getting the cover itself off.

That's what I was afraid of... I knew enough to remove the two pop rivets but wasn't sure how to accomplish step #3 without breaking anything.

Guess I'll have to put a little 'umphh' into getting the cover itself off.

That's the main thing I was wondering ... I removed the rivets but wasn't sure about this cover either. Is there any clips in the back? Anyone got a photo of the cover removed? Photo would explain everything. TIA!

What I do is slide a thin plastic trim remover (a screwdriver would work too but be careful) between the cover and the taillight and pry the cover away from the light.

Once you have them sufficiently separated, just wiggle it out by hand.

It may take some force, and make sure to not break the top part that goes near the hatch struts as it tends to snag a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried it... chickened out when I couldn't get it do come out easily and took Blubaru into the local dealer. The service manager came out and HE couldn't get it out. (that made me feel not quite like an idiot.) Then one of the mechanics comes out, takes my data driver (small screwdirver and in about 4 seconds has the trim piece completely separated from the car (cue idiotic feeling again.)

Turns out that there are two tiny plastic tabs, one located at the portion of the arc/curve that sticks out most from the car, and one at the point where the trim piece does a little dip. Both places are obvious when looking at said piece. After that it was a veritable piece of cake to replace the bulb.

• 2 years later...
I just wanted to thank technicalgarage for his clear and concise posts on this subject. I followed your directions and had the brake light bulb replaced in under 10 minutes. Just how to remove that black plastic cover without breaking something had me in a quandary. I read your comments, took another look at the car, grabbed a thin bladed screwdriver, and had the piece off in just a couple of minutes. Isn't the internet GREAT!

It looks a little scary just staring at the space where you know you should be digging around in, but in all reality, changing the lights out of the 05 wagon rear housing is as straightforward as changing a tire. Or setting up a new radio station on the deck.

Archived