LegacyGT.com

Volvo S40 T5 AWD vs Legacy GT limited

Yep, test drove the Volvo S40 & absolutely HATED the damn thing. Was extremely uncomfortable to ride and also the console looks rediculous. Definately go with the Subie, you won't regret it. You can always make mods to it to get it to where you want it to be ;O)

Good Luck!!

Did anybody consider this car before they bought the LGT? I'm considering a LGT limited and have been also looking at the S40 T5 AWD. Any thoughts?

We tested the Volvo S60 AWD turbo model just before visiting the Subaru dealer. While it drove comfortably and was capable, it just wasnt any fun.

"You might as well be driving a Buick" was what I thought.

We also drove the S60R for the heck of it. Sure it was fast but at 44K MSRP, who are they kidding? I never even considered the S40 as being in the same class so I didnt even sit in it.

2 words as well:

TEST DRIVE

Both and you will see the difference...

Now maaaaaybe if you were talking about the V70 R that would be a different $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$TORY....

S50 is just not a competitor for our cars after you drive them both....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Well i work for a Volvo/Subaru dealer and I drove the S40,S60 and S60r and the S40 with the T5 is nice but was a no go. The S60 was blah and the S60r was just very nice but even with the discount I get was still more than i wanted to pay since i was paying cash....

I love my Spec B....

tHe HoV

My grandma has one... no really, she does! She loves it. It's simple to drive, not alot to worry about, pretty smooth ride, and it's affordable in it's base form.

Now, to be a little more serious (but I really wasn't lying above, she has a base S40 1.9t though, not a T5), lets look at numbers and appeal:

To get a comparable T5 (which is kinda odd since it's really not THAT comparable of a model to the LGT) it would cost you $32,500 MSRP for a 2005. I got a 2005 $30,300 MSRP MT LGT Sedan (but paid $25,900 for it) that has everything the T5 has and SOME, as all would know when pricing out an '05 MT LGT Sedan. So price point advantage: Legacy.

As for looks, well... hmmm... to each their own. The S40 is definitely better then before, but the agressive look of the Legacy is outstanding in my honest opinion comparatively. Although with the S40 you can now have the good chance of someone mis-identifying your car as an upscale S60 since the taillights are now soooo much alike. Advantage: Legacy.

Pure Unaltered Power numbers: 218HP vs. 250HP... enough said. Advantage: Legacy.

Warranty: 4yr 50k Volvo, 3yr. 36k Subaru. Advantage: Volvo.

So to each their own, but I really think the Legacy is hands down a better all around car: for the price, for the appeal, for the mod-ablility, and for the FUN!

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I test drove a V50 T6 when shopping for my wagon. The 6-speed was nice but it utlimately came down to:

- V50 (and S40) become very expensive after options -- if I had to have a Volvo, I might have saved up some more and gotten a V70 or S60 with rebates

- Legacy GT had the power and handling advantage

- Legacy GT wagon has more room

- Although both were 1st year models, I was far more comfortable getting myself into a Subie

Ken

Tere was an issue of Car and Driver (pretty sure that's the one) that had this exact comparison test. Check about a year ago, maybe less.

I looked at the Volvo v50 t5 manual (wagon version of the 40). Wife was really into the free trip to Sweden to pick up the car through their overseas delivery program.

The Volvo has going for it:

-6 speed manual

-much better EPA estimates

-better fit and finish

The Legacy... is just much better. And better value too. More power, larger, probably more reliable (for big things), less intrusive turbo lag.

Thanks for the replies. My family has owned a Volvo for years, it had over 200k miles on it and it never gave us major problems, just small stuff here and there.

Everybody brings up good points, especially the price difference, but for some reason, here in the San Francisco bay area, the cars are similiary priced. I've been searching and most 5spd LGT limited are close to $28-30k, which is not that far off from a Volvo T5 AWD $29-31k.

I haven't test drove the Volvo yet, but I'm sure the LGT drives better. I'll have to get myself into a dealership and try it out.

If size matters (and we all know it does...),

The Volvo T5 is the same as the Protege (Mazda 3) and non-US Focus. The Legacy is more along the lines of the Mazda 6. In other words, it technically is a larger car. Frankly, I think the T5 looks kinda goofy from the rear, like they cut it off a little too short, but that is just my opinion...

They're both nice cars. But in the long run I think the Subie will be more reliable. Maybe not the engine and basic drivetrain stuff, but anything electrical/electronic is likely not to do well in the Volvo. Of course, if you only keep the car 3 or 4 years, just pick the one you like better.

I chose the LGT because I like it a lot better and like Ken I was worried about first year reliability in a Volvo. But you are likely to get very biased opinions on this board. :icon_bigg

Good Luck!

tom

tom :)

Came from a XC70 and was really considering the V70R when the '05 LGT was announced. V70R was/is a VERY nice car and was so much faster than my XC70 (but not as fast as the Subie). Came down to price. It just wasn't $16k nicer than the LGT.

Thank you Mr T, great point that had been overlooked by many. You cannot compare these cars side by side, because they are not in the same class. Like people have said, the volvo s40/v50 uses the NEW ford focus (non-US) & mazda3 platform. Those cars are almost 10" shorter than the Lebacy. Nonetheless, it is one of the best driving platforms on the market, period. When it comes to pure handling, the T5 and Mazda3 S is ahead of our GT (not sure about Spec B). On all other fronts, that platform is lacking.

The American market is the only place where these cars are priced comparably. Everywhere else, the Legacy is much more expensive. It should be compared to the S60, Mazda 6 etc.

My wife wanted the V50 T5... but she chose a smaller A3. To each his/her own.

Are you sure we are talking about the same car? The T5 got its clock waxed in the latest 5th gear challange. The reviewer couldent stop commenting on how much the V50 T5's handling sucked compared to the legacy's. It absolutely got anihallated both on feel and balance and on raw lap times. It wasent even a contest the legacy was 2.1 seconds ahead per lap and gaining. Meaning in a 25 lap race the V50 T5 would have gotten lapped.

I was considering a V70R. I grew up in a Volvo family and most of them have been trouble free. But the problem with any European car is when you take it in for service, start counting out the Benjamin Franklins. Volvo's service is also more frequent that other cars. 10,000 mile interval is about $200.

Volvo's are also a lot more advance than the Legacy. T5 has a computer controlled suspension that operates at 500 Hz. The S40/V50 T5 suspension is similar to the R suspension, but lack the advance mode. If you want to turn off the DRL, dealer downloads a patch from Volvo. All the technology does have a downside. When it breaks, $$$. Over on voca forum, one guy had an R at the dealer for over 180 days in one year. Another guy had his R go haywire.

Volvo's DID have one of the tightest turning radius with the rear wheel drive cars. The FWD got worse. AWD was the same. Then with the R it turn worse than a Suburban.

Volvo's do have one of the nicest seats in the industry. Volvo does listen to the customers. When people wanted iPod connection, they got it. It isn't cheap, but it became available with the 05 cars.

There's quite a bit of aftermarket stuff also. IPD been offering Volvo parts for a while now. Evolve has been making high performance stuff also.

http://www.evolvecars.com/albums/album17/05_VOL_SEMA_066.sized.jpg

My family has owned a Volvo for years, it had over 200k miles on it and it never gave us major problems, just small stuff here and there.

Keep in mind that you are most likely referring to a pre-Ford Volvo. The real thing, not a penny-pinched, watered-down, platform-sharing wannabe. This is NOT your father's Volvo!!

i have a lot of respect for top gear and their findings. but i am suspecting that the european 3.0 H4 has a different suspension setup from what we get there (or at least from my wagon); for sure must have better rubber than what we get - R050 maybe?

i have not yet seen the video. did the T5 AWD have a sport package? i drove the S40 T5 with a sport package fwd and it felt more composed in turns and had a much more direct steering. in my opinion it was stiffer than my wagon. it was not nearly as fast as my GT though (when it was stock). i also drove the new ford focus on my recent trip to holland - great driver's car.

but most of my experiences with the platform come from driving my brother in laws mazda3 hatch. that car handles so great, it mustered over 70mph in a slalom test performed by car and driver (was pretty close to a stock evo).

just my $0.02

Archived