LegacyGT.com

Cylinder misfires or bad injectors, please post here.

what

My check engine light is on but everything seems to be running just fine, Same as the day I bought it.

I am poping a P0171 code and not sure what to attack, Shows

-Faulty MAF sencor

-Lg Vac Leak

-Low Fuel Pressure

-Plugged injector or cylinder misfire

Any idea, I am clueless!

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm joining this oficial thread!!

Since 1 year I was having trouble with this code. We exchange the coilpack between #2 and #4 and the code still was on the #4. It disappear, I was running like almost 3k miles and suddenly it came back! I got 2 fuel injector cleaner (Chevron Techron Pro Guard) and it work very well but about 300 miles it came back again!:nono:Any ways, I read about this freaking code and like almost every forum (Subaru of course!!) says that if there is no problems with the Coilpack, change the Fuel Injector cause the Yellow top injector (on almost all Legacy and Forester) have a kind of factory defects that can cause a cylinder miss-fire!!.

Rockauto have a great deal for yellow top injectors and it could cost almost $150.00 with shiping for a set of 4 or if you want to try just with one you can do it too. I'm waiting for mine so I'll update with you all.:coffee:

PR rulz!!

My check engine light is on but everything seems to be running just fine, Same as the day I bought it.

I am poping a P0171 code and not sure what to attack, Shows

-Faulty MAF sencor

-Lg Vac Leak

-Low Fuel Pressure

-Plugged injector or cylinder misfire

Any idea, I am clueless!

Check for solutions on google.... you will have a lot of answer!

• 2 months later...
It turns out there was a bad valve, so they are replacing the valve and the cylinder under the powertrain warranty. However I still need to pay 230 for the fuel injector cleaning they did and the initial diagnostics.

I thought these boxer engines were supposed to run forever, I'm shocked that I am having this problem on a car that is only 3 years old. It is making me think twice about buying another subaru.

Well, I have another bad valve on Cylinder 1. We were looking at getting rid of it anyway in favor of a bigger car, but I needed to do it a little quicker now that the valve is bad and it idles like crap. I ended up trading in the POS for an SUV. Two valves gone in under 80K miles? I will NEVER buy a Subaru again. I can't say that the Legacy GT wasn't fun to drive, IT WAS! But I wasn't going to stick another couple grand in it. This seems to be a pretty common problem with the 2.5 boxer. Glad I was able to get rid of it before I stuck any more money into it.

• 1 month later...

Well I hav the same problem too. On 1 & 3. I went thru all the motions with it. Coil, MAF, Plugs, and wires. The I pulled the the wires and checked for spark. And YEP. I had spark.

So I changed the oil and filter hopin it was that. It wasn't. But I need it too. Putterin bad. So I know I was drivin on 2 cylinders.

So I plugged the injector connector to see if it would show signs. Yeap, just what I figured. Both 1 & 3 injectors not firing.

My question is. Why does it seem to happen on one side? Thats what crazy too me. I see it alot. Is there a fuse for the injectors?

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased my Legacy in February. March had the O2 sensor replaced. Had it to the dealer on the 11th of this month for the P0302 code with CEL. They replaced all 4 plugs and inspected wires, wires looked fine. 3 days later code came up again with CEL. Took it back on the 18th, they swapped 2 and 4 coil paks. Next day same code with CEL. Called dealer, they suggested to bring it in to have injectors swapped at $330.

Car runs great, no obvious misses. Every now and then when stopped it will idle rough, but not constantly during same stop,then next time I stop you can barely feel the car running. I only notice a slight hesitation when accelerating, mostly up hill. But even then its barely noticable.

I should mention that since Saturday the light has gone out 3 times but returned after about 4 or so start ups from running errands.

Tues put injector cleaner in a full tank, light went out last night, drove about 80 miles and light just came on, havent checked the code, but can bet its #2. Ordered an injector to be here on Tues. Hopefully can get it in right away since we are to leave for Outer Banks on the 2nd.

Any advice?

Jen:confused::confused::confused:

This past Saturday we swapped the no.2 and no.4 injectors, cleaned alot of other things and filled it with 94 octane. So far so good! No intermittent rough idle, and not noticing the pulsing hesitation. Went on a road trip Sat night, about 200 miles and still looking and feeling good. Actually runs smoother then the day we bought it. Drove home today from Delaware to Pa, bout 65 miles, and got 26.2 mpg. I am stoked! But still not getting my hopes up.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I had the turbo replaced and the engine started to misfire. Why is this happening? could it be the waste gate valve needs to be changed or could it be something else. The check engine light comes on for a while than goes off for a while. seems to come back on when the car idles for awhile. I need help. :confused:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest PeteAWD
The good old trusty cylinder #3 misfire seems to be back (141k). Fortunately, my tech replaced the coil pack and injector in April 2010, so I'm still in the one year warranty, if that in fact is the issue. Every time this comes up, I can notice the engine start to miss at idle. In any event, I purchased a Craftsman OBD II reader from Sears for $89. It's a good investment if you plan on keeping this vehicle since the Subaru engineers had to ensure our cruise control was disabled with the CEL. Checked the code and reset the light in less than 5 mins, hasn't been on for a day or so. In any event, I have my cruise until I can have my tech check it out.

Bought the wife's '05 LGT wagon from a member here and loved it until last month. First oil starvation led to turbo failure, now cylinder misfire in numbers 4 and two. Its so bad that its running on three cylinders and sometimes on two. Its at the dealer getting a compression and leakdown test so i fear worst. It sounds like several memeber s have had either burned valves or bad piston ringlands. I am going to have words with SOA if thats the case with ours. Can anyone say defective motor from the factory?

05 LGT wagon, missfire cyl one, did plugs, swapped coils, cleared code. Came back.

swapped cyl 1 & 3 injector, cleared code.

cyl 3 missfire, replaced injector (from kitchener subaru, $200 later, not bad considering the class of car)

no codes.

<=== happy camper.

• 2 weeks later...
Started with a rough idle then about 1000 miles of that it started throwing cylinder 1 misfire code about every 300 miles. Did that for awhile then started throwing them every 100 miles. Took out the MAF sensor and it was really dirty. Cleaned it and now it idles like its brand new and hasn't thrown a code for over 500 miles. Hoping for the best.

I add my car to your list

miss fire cyl #4 up to 4500 5000 RPM only, idle RPM cut a litle bit at cold , ok when is hot

Have a brand new short block

change injector ,spark plug ans coil pack

the trouble are alredy there.

I clean the MAF,... ok for 15 minutes ...

alredy the cyl 4 possible a bad valve ?

depending on the diagnosis from the dealer, call SOA, they covered my burnt 4th cyl exhaust valve at 90k.

That's good to hear. I am having #4 misfire issues as well. Injector replaced -- but now low compression (50 PSI). The tech suspects burned piston or rings in #4. They are taking head off 2 and 4 today to inspect the pistons. Bummer.

SOA had already agreed to at least 1/2 reimbursement for injector replacement -- hopefully they will give us goodwill on this powertrain issue -- as we are only 500 miles out of powertrain coverage. :mad: