LegacyGT.com

Cannot get the OEM throttle body hose to stay on

Driving down to TN a few weeks ago my throttle body to tmic hose popped off. Since then I have not been able to get it to stay on. I went and bought a brand new one from the dealer and used the provided clamps and it wouldn't stay on. I then removed the donut gaskets and used t bolt clamps and hairspray on the inside of the rubber and tightened it down. Still popped off.

There is a pink dot on the hose, and I have read in multiple places that it goes facing up on throttle body side, but I have tried that, flipped it, and rotated it 20 different ways and still cannot manage to get it to stay on.

Can anyone provide me with some tips on how to properly orient it? Or any tricks to getting it in properly?

• Moderators

Is it popping of the manifold or the intercooler?

If intercooler, tighten the shit out of it and you should be good. If that's really not working, might want to make the switch to an avo silicon TB hose--should stay on better.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Have you replaced the clamp with a new one ? If your stock it should not be popping off the tmic. Once it's together with good clamps, you should have no issues.

I also believe the dot is not at 12o'clock either.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

There must be something your not telling us.

Have you ever removed the TB hose for any reason ?

It should not just pop off by itself. I believe this is the first time it just popped off after the factory installed it. I've never heard of this happening with a stock set up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• I Donated
They are new t bolt clamps and it's poppin off the throttle body not the tmic.

If they are wide T-bolt clamps, they may not be providing enough pressure. Try thinner ones or worm-drive clamps.

It should not just pop off by itself. I believe this is the first time it just popped off after the factory installed it. I've never heard of this happening with a stock set up.

He's Stage 2. This happens all the time at higher boost levels.

Oh I now see that.

He may want to remove the rubber bladder looking piece on the end of the hose. My old TB hose had one of the ends removed.

My new oem TB hose has both end caps on and "knock on wood" it hasn't come off yet.

Oh I now see that.

He may want to remove the rubber bladder looking piece on the end of the hose. My old TB hose had one of the ends removed.

My new oem TB hose has both end caps on and "knock on wood" it hasn't come off yet.

And pop. There it goes. HAHA. No seriously though. Just get creative with duct tape. That fixes everything. LOL. Don't actually do that. I would go with the thinner clamps though. You will get more pressure on the point that way.

Thinner clamps? I will. I heard NAPA has a good clamp selection. Autozone and home depot don't have anything. I've gone through too many worm hose clamps because they bend, snap, or chew through the slits when I tighten them

I also heard the flat spot on the hose should be on the bottom, is that correct?

Thinner clamps? I will. I heard NAPA has a good clamp selection. Autozone and home depot don't have anything. I've gone through too many worm hose clamps because they bend, snap, or chew through the slits when I tighten them

I also heard the flat spot on the hose should be on the bottom, is that correct?

Tip. Don't go to home depot for car parts unless your looking for mesh for your front end. But end then they have much nicer mesh online.

best thing to do is to remove the TMIC, orient then tb hose on the tb and tighten it down hard. then install the tmic by first putting the tb hose on, clamping that hard as well and as far up the tmic as possible. then bolt it to the turbo. if you install the tmic on the turbo first. you will always have tb hose issues.

My install has always gone like you said. Clamp to tb, then put the tmic on looosely, threading only a short portion of the bolts into the turbo, slide the hose on as far up as it can and clamp it tight. Bolt up to the turbo and then the 3 bolt bracket on the driver side. Drive for 10 miles, cool. Third gear pull, pop.

• Moderators
Before bolting to the turbo at all, use the free moving intercooler to kind of twist it onto the TB hose. Use a small amount of vaseline rubbed on the inside of the hose and it will go on very easily. Once you twist the IC onto the hose, that bolt everything else down.

My install has always gone like you said. Clamp to tb, then put the tmic on looosely, threading only a short portion of the bolts into the turbo, slide the hose on as far up as it can and clamp it tight. Bolt up to the turbo and then the 3 bolt bracket on the driver side. Drive for 10 miles, cool. Third gear pull, pop.

best thing to do is to remove the TMIC, orient then tb hose on the tb and tighten it down hard. then install the tmic by first putting the tb hose on, clamping that hard as well and as far up the tmic as possible. then bolt it to the turbo. if you install the tmic on the turbo first. you will always have tb hose issues.

Like he said, hose in the tmic tighten it good and tight then install the tmic on the turbo.

this is your problem. you need to tighten both ends on the tb hose fully and extremly tight before attempting to line the tmic up with the turbo. the hose will flex enough to allow you to line it up to the turbo.

• Moderators
Disagree on the Vaseline.

I won't really "argue" with you on this one, except that it has worked for me. My TB hose blew off during a 3rd gear pull after going stage 2. I used a tiny bit of vaseline on the inside of the hose when re-seating it after that. It went on extremely well, I clamped it down, and it has stayed on since with no issues through the rest of my tuning process and now just driving around.

Obviously YMMV. Should be noted also that my TB hose still has the rubber boot things on the inside, i didn't remove them.

So I put it back on. This time it all lined up better than it has before and everything came together very tight.

The problem persists. While this was most definitely the problem a few weeks ago or the first few times I'm doubting it's the problem now. I recently did my up pipe install. I have a feeling that the manifold is loose or where it meets the turbo may be loose.

So here are the symptoms. My IAM is at .325 or something. I have -11.6, -11.5, and -3.6 in only the first column of the data, the rest are all zeroes. And I have a -6 in the first cell of stored airflow ranges.

How the car feels:

It is a pain to get going from a start. I have to give it a lot of gas and it will stutter and stumble on its way up the rpm band. Once I get going and seemingly begin to spool the turbo, things are a bit smoother but I can't get past 10-12 psi. Getting to begin spooling is very stumbly. Seems like I have no pressure and it just holds back.

I feel like if exhaust is escaping pre turbo then it won't spoil air correctly and will show many signs at idle to getting going from idle, but will escape as it begins to spool

Archived