LegacyGT.com

Considering getting an 09 Legacy. Need advice.

Hey everyone.

I have a 96 Galant that has been nothing but trouble from day one.

I got it used and as a salvage title when i was finishing highschool in 04.

It was my baby. It was only 2,500, but i think we have put maybe triple that into keeping it running.

Finally i have had enough.

It's going to take 900 just to get it to pass inspection, so at this point it's not even money being spent to make it drive well, just good enough...

Anyhow, i didn't know what to get.

I was looking all around town, and couldn't really find anything i liked.

I was at the Subaru dealer here in town, and they have a used 09 Legacy 2.5i Special Edition.

I wanted the car so badly.

It just looks awesome.

It's got under 45k miles, but unfortunately the dealer is asking almost 17k for it, and i've only got around 14 to work with, so i still have some left over to pay for taxes and getting new plates, all that mess.

Anyhow, i found a similar one in St. Louis with around the same mileage (sadly not in black, and no spoiler. Or leather...but i figure i can live without leather seats, and a spoiler can be purchased if i simply can't live without the looks.)

I wish i had the money for a GT because they just look better, and i'm sure drive even better. (Something about the GT hood scoop gets me.)

Anyhow, now that i've rambled i just wanted to know if you all are completely happy with the Legacy you drive.

I have heard nothing but good things about Subaru.

My friend who's been working on cars for the past 30-40 years was bragging about his Subaru that he's just taken over 300,000 miles, and he says it's still running like a champ.

I know the 2.5i isn't going to be GT type driving, but it looks sporty enough.

I'm wanting something that is still functional, but will be fun to drive, and work on.

Since this is a hefty purchase for me, it's going to have to count. Because i'm going to be driving this car until one of us dies.

I was also wondering if the 09 2.5i Special Edition has an Aux-port for hooking up mp3 players.

It's not the end of the world if it doesn't, but it would definitely be a huge plus in it's favor.

Overall, just tell me what you think of your Legacy.

I've gathered from what i have found that they are pretty amazing cars, especially for the price range.

So, any things to look out for, things you love, anything you think someone contemplating getting one should know.

Thanks for your time guys.

Hopefully i can join the ranks of proud Legacy owners soon.

aww, no one?

:edit:

I answered my own question about the aux-in port.

One thing i was wondering, how much do you all think it would run if i were to install Fog lights myself?

Or i guess more importantly, do you feel that fog lights actually help that much?

Thanks for the reply.

Where did you get yours?

Is that the sort of item that's better to get through the manufacturer?

Also, while i'm on the topic, i've always wondered how people match new parts to their cars.

If you get say, a bumper, or spoiler, how do you match the paint to your car?

Do companies often sell small batches of car colors?

Anyhow, thanks for the reply Meshanks07.

A couple of quick answers.

1) Do the fog lights help much?

No, they're pretty worthless. Most people recommend re-aiming them and upgrading the bulbs if you actually want to use them. In their stock form, they're a cosmetic item. Also, many people recommended altering the wiring so that the fog lights are independentally controlled (in stock form, they can only be turned on when the headlights are on). These mods are cheap and easy, so they can be made functional, but don't expect much from stock fogs.

2) One good way to get a spoiler is to swap trunk lids with another legacy owner who wants a wingless trunk. Many people prefer the look of a trunk lip to the OEM spoiler. You should look at several threads on here for pictures.

Also, have you considered a 2008 Legacy? The cost would be a little lower, and there are only minor changes. For differences between models and other questions about features http://www.cars101.com is an excellent Subaru focused site.

To answer some of your questions and concerns:

1) Forget the fog lamps. They don't do anything. They are pointed low and you won't ever use them.

2) Concerning the aux port--I got a 07 but mines is the Limited edition--it has that feature. I believe it was part of the Limited Edtion with the CD changer. In 08 and 09 I am not sure what they did with that but I thought it was for the Limited edition with the fancier cd changer.

3) Lastly, as far as the car itself goes...It runs great. It has usually no problems. One minor wheel bearing issue I ran into, but that was documented with the 05-07 version of the car, and covered under warranty so no problem there. My car now has 53,000k

4) In terms of buying the car, what you need to do is to ask yourself what you want out of your car.

If you are looking for a performance car, the non-turbo is not the one for you. You got 175hp engine -- but since it is all wheel drive, only about ~135hp make it to the wheels - so performance? Forget about it. But the car still has enough power for daily driving and passing. It is just not a race-car.

If you are looking for a car that you can upgrade, the non-turbo is not the one. Pretty much all the performance mods and possibilities that are explored are for the turbo version only. If you want downpipes, bigger turbo, fancy exhaust systems, air intakes -- if you are into that kind of stuff -- you need the turbo version.

If you are into that you need more $ and a LGT

NOW, on the other side:

1) A car that does have a turbo is usually not going to last as long as a car without it. There are plenty documented cases on this website of 200,000- 300,000+ Subaru Legacys and still running great but most of those longest running cars are the non-turbo version.

2) Also, you get higher insurance rates with the Turbo version.

I know some of this stuff because I was in a similar situation when I was buying my car. I went with the 2.5i, but I got the limited edition with leather seats, heated seats, 6 disk in-dash cd changer, spoiler...ect. It is not too bad.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now as an alternative, if you are looking for a decent car that is not going to cost as much as the legacy LGT but still has some performance to it, I recommend that you check out the Mazda 6 V6 version. You can get one of those with about 225 hp, and it is going to cost you less than a Subaru would. That is an alternative if you cannot do without the power but are low on $, and still need a good used car.

Please bear in mind that Subarus run to 300k when well maintained. More importantly, no car is maintenance free.

If you are cost conscious, then it would be better for you to consider a $10k car with 4k to put toward maintenance (brakes, tires, suspension, emergency repairs etc.) over the next 2+ years, rather than a 14k car with nothing left over to maintain it.

My last car, a Nissan, was "exactly" what I could afford ... but the several unexpected $1000+ repairs put quite a dent in the budget.

Hey guys.

Sorry i haven't responded in a while.

My internet was down for some time (The ISP would later discover a dog had dug up the cable and mangled it to hell).

Anyhow, i grabbed a nice 09 Legacy 2.5i from a St. Louis dealership.

I got it for 13,500 when all was said and done, (although i do feel bad for the guy selling it at the dealership, he didn't look into my car enough to see it was a Salvage title, so they took the loss on my trade in 96 Galant).

Anyhow, i'm really happy with it.

It's got about 37,000 miles on it, the power train is still under warranty, and it drives like a dream.

Thanks for all of the replies guys!

I know some of this stuff because I was in a similar situation when I was buying my car. I went with the 2.5i, but I got the limited edition with leather seats, heated seats, 6 disk in-dash cd changer, spoiler...ect. It is not too bad.

I think i would have liked the spoiler and leather seats...although i don't know for sure.

My Galant had leather seats, and they killed me in the summer.

Although Heated seats in winter just sounds too damn comfortable.

Maybe i will add a spoiler to my car some day down the road.

I do want to white out the headlights, and get a new mesh grill.

Also, for some reason i can't stop thinking a hood scoop would look awesome, even though it would be completely useless with no turbo.

Hey I also am considering the same thing and have pretty much the exact same concerns as the ones you have listed. I really want a car that will be fun to drive not necessarily fast but one that I will want to drive and enjoy barreling around corners. How is the pick up in your opinion?

I am looking at a 2009 2.5se for about 17 and really just want to make sure that I am going to like driving and commuting in this car despite its lack of outright horsepower.

Thanks a bunch

I do 60 miles a day in mine and still enjoy my commute. It has enough power get you on the highway and pass the crazies. In third gear on the highway it does pull fairly well. It's been a great car over the last 3 years. The 2.5i handles pretty well when new. Mine is almost 100k and is now loose as a goose. Good news is almost all the LGT suspension mods will fit the 2.5i. I'm at the point where its time to rebuild most of the suspension. Everything will to upgraded to LGT/Rallitek parts.

All my issues in a nutshell:

Cats melted due to a computer error (new cats, o2's and computer upgrade free under recall)

Bearing in transmission went ($100 under extended warranty)

Leaking valve cover gaskets ($80 in gaskets, did them my self)

Bad rear wheel bearing (free under recall until 100k, will probably do it my self)

I did put 100 watt bulb in my fogs (55 stock) that helped them work a little better. I only use them "off road" as the package directed me too, lol. They have not melted yet either.

Good luck.

Archived