LegacyGT.com

When to replace tires?

computersoc

I have 42,000 miles on my tires and they're at 6/32nd's. I notice the road noise is getting a little louder, doesn't feel AS smooth over bumps (still ok), takes a little longer to brake in bad slush/snow, and doesn't have the same "I can do 80 mph in two feet of snow" type of feel that it did when it was new. Most of my driving is highway miles. The car/tires have never let me down.

When is it time to replace them? Can I hold out until next November?

I need good winter performance all season tires and think I can make it another month on what I have now. What all season tire should I go with then and where should I buy it? Does the Subaru dealer ever have deals?

I want something that gives it a smooth and quiet ride. I don't care about sport (it's a family sedan and I treat it as such). I just want comfort and good performance in snow to get me to where I have to go.

I think I have the Bridgestone Turanza 205 60R 16 right now. How many miles do most people go on these?

I think getting a dedicated set of wheels and tires that are only used in the winter is a waste of money. Anyone else agree? I see with the TPMS on tirerack, it's about $940 for wheels, snow tires, TPMS, and associated hardware. Not sure if there would be an issue switching from one set of wheels with the TPMS to another set of wheels with a different TPMS. Is $36 per TPMS a good deal from tire rack? Not that any of this will probably matter, since I will likely just buy all seasons.

I totally disagree that getting a dedicated set of winter tires is a waste of money, and I'm surprised that someone from upstate NY would say that.

I bought the DWSs for my LGT 2 years ago and have less than 10k miles on them. Quite frankly they suck in the snow. After this winter I will never be without winter tires again. If you've never driven on winter tires in the snow, it's hard to comprehend how useful they are.

Used wheels can be picked up for relatively cheap in the classified section here or on craigslist.

I say it's a waste because I've never had issues on all seasons in the snow. I'm in Rochester so not in the tug hill, but we still get more than enough snow. I'm at the lake so I get some additional lake effect too. I concede that I've never driven this car with snow tires, so I don't know what it's like.

What are good all seasons?

What are good snow tires?

buy a pair of All weather tires. they are expensive but they are the only tires i would both summer and winter drive. i personally own a set of goodyear ultragrip ice's they are a pretty decent winter tire. i was forced to run them year round tho for the first year. not the greatest in summer. but a all weather would be your best bet.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=195115&group=1.01&name=Nokian+WRG3

People say the DWS is a good in the snow. I beg to differ.

My wife's rwd ATS with Blizzaks feels more competent in the snow than my LGT.

Glad someone else thought they sucked in the snow, thought I was the only one with all the chatter glorifying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

uh....you do realize that you're comparing the "dws" = all seasons..

to the "blizzacks" which i'm pretty sure, are a dedicated winter tire..

soo, maybe compare them to the conti extreme winter tires ...think you'll find much diff results ..just saying

uh....you do realize that you're comparing the "dws" = all seasons..

to the "blizzacks" which i'm pretty sure, are a dedicated winter tire..

soo, maybe compare them to the conti extreme winter tires ...think you'll find much diff results ..just saying

Just saying they're undeserving of the hype. I was incredibly unimpressed on wet pavement, let alone a snow covered road. They are no match to a winter tire and shouldn't be compared to such. I'm in favor of renaming them the "continental d". Winter tires are certainly worth it!

Just saying they're undeserving of the hype. I was incredibly unimpressed on wet pavement, let alone a snow covered road. They are no match to a winter tire and shouldn't be compared to such. I'm in favor of renaming them the "continental d". Winter tires are certainly worth it!

This is exactly what I'm saying. They should not have "snow" in their name at all.

They are the most over hyped tire in recent memory.

alternatively, you could get a set of all severe winter service all seasons like Nokian WRG2/WRG3 tires and be done with it if you're unwilling to get two sets.

I went to RIT and was really glad I had a set of winter tires and the significantly increased stopping ability on the packed snow for the 5 years i was there.

alternatively, you could get a set of all severe winter service all seasons like Nokian WRG2/WRG3 tires and be done with it if you're unwilling to get two sets.

I went to RIT and was really glad I had a set of winter tires and the significantly increased stopping ability on the packed snow for the 5 years i was there.

A friend of mine has some Nokians for sale actually! Talk to wicknetzel.

A few things:

DWS got poor snow traction from Consumer Reports. You guys are not alone!

Winter tires do have snow wear bars. They are usually at 6/32nd.

TireRack and CR claim that 4/32 is time to buy new tires unless one lives on the desert, then 2/32.

Just my opinions.

Krzyś

I finally made the switch to a dedicated winter tires this year and I am glad I did. I also live in rochester and have been going through this odd winter. I used to think I didn't need winter tires but after driving my car and my fiances car back to back in a snow storm I won't go back to all seasons.

dedicated snows in the winter. dedicated summers the rest of the time. no compromises. pass everyone in the winter. pass everyone in summer.

Have all seasons now (so wife doesn't see racecar). Forgotten how much they suck. Not very good in deep or slushy snow, not very good is pouring rain, not very good on dry roads.

I ran Blizzaks on cheap rims (<$80) in winter and SuperSports on nice rims ($250) in summer.

• 7 months later...

53k miles and I'm just shy of 4/32nd's so it's time to get some new tires soon. I don't like road noise in an all season tire and I want something that is smooth like a Mercedes-Benz.

How is this decision for snow tire:

Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT $312 after mail in rebate from Tirerack (plus $61.20 shipping) $373.20 total

How is this decision for all season tire:

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus ($404 plus $61.20 shipping) $465.20 total

OR

Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology ($384 plus $61.20 shipping) $445.20

OR

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus ($464 plus $61.20 shipping) $525.20 total

Are the Subaru dealers running any deals now?

The valve stem (is that where I put the air?) seems to be of a higher quality on my Subaru than any other vehicle I've ever owned. I do not need this replaced, correct?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived