LegacyGT.com

Flat towing?

I saw on an RV website that you can flat tow the manual if it is in neutral...

Is this right?

If so, I may flat tow my LGT down to Virginia International Raceway next month (in case I toast the brakes, or waste the cluch, I'll still be able to get home). My tow vehicle is a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. It doesn't have close to the tow rating to pull the Subaru and a trailer. If I had something that could tow more, I'd borrow a friends trailer...

What do you guys think?

You would have better luck towing the Wrangler with the Legacy. Your Wrangler has enough power to tow, but is too light and with inadequate brakes for any serious towing.

But to answer your original question, most manual transmission cars can be flat towed no problem. Just make sure the steering is unlocked.

You would have better luck towing the Wrangler with the Legacy. Your Wrangler has enough power to tow, but is too light and with inadequate brakes for any serious towing.

I've got the wrangler unlimited. It's the 4 door. It's 4500 pounds...that's not too light to tow with. It is rated to tow 3500 pounds and has a class 2 hitch...

I think you're referring to the 2 door that is only rated for 2000 lbs. The short wheelbase gets pushed around.

Don't know about manual cars but I have seen many automatics fail from being flat towed in neutral. All the plastic thrust washers melt!

The RV site I saw said Subaru could install an Neutral Tow System for automatics...I know a bit about cars and I've never heard of such a thing.

Mine is a manual though

Shouldn't be a big deal. It's just a normal differential in the center, so no oil pumps or other gadgets that can fail.

But on the other hand - a braked trailer would be the thing in case you get a failure that doesn't allow you to tow.

453747.png

Archived