LegacyGT.com

A/C not working ??

PhilT

It finally got warm enough this week for the A/C to come on........but nothing happened, not even slightly cool air :confused:

Basic checks show that the compressor is not clutching in, all the fuses seem OK, but the clutch in the drive pulley doesn't seem to lock up to drive the compressor.

Anyone else have a similar problem, or have an idea where I should start looking ?

Thanks.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the more common reasons for this is a hole in the condensor. It only takes a pinhole to do it. If you look at the front of the car, everything you see that looks like a radiator is really a combined condensor/radiator. Whole thing needs to be replaced if that is the issue. This is not covered under warrenty, it's wear and tear, like a busted windsheild. I learned all this the hard way.

One of the more common reasons for this is a hole in the condensor. It only takes a pinhole to do it. If you look at the front of the car, everything you see that looks like a radiator is really a combined condensor/radiator. Whole thing needs to be replaced if that is the issue. This is not covered under warrenty, it's wear and tear, like a busted windsheild. I learned all this the hard way.

my a/c isn't working either...i dont hear the clutch kick on. I havent checked the fuse which should probably be my first step but I have a feeling its what your saying.

by any chance do u know the part #? or where I can find it? i think this is my problem...whats the best way of finding out if it needs to be replaced? do i have to fill it and see or hear if there is a leak?

thanks

I have to say something...

Both PhilT and bluechipbmw, when you turn on the AC, is air blown out or literally nothing happen? My OB has similar problem and left the car at the dealer. The whole AC system is gone... My problem is that even fan doesn't work...

From Desert to Rocky to SLC !!!

most refrigerant leaks you cannot see or hear....which is why we charge an arm and a leg to fix them

If the refrigerant level is low, the compressor will not turn on to protect itself. The refrigerant is what cools and lubricates the compressor.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Could be that there is no freon in your system or the coolant level is low. In another car of mine, my mechanic said that the compressor won't come on if there is no enough freon in the system.

In my friend's car, the a/c wasn't working b/c the coolant level was very low.

that was my first impression until someone else told me.....if ur low or dont have any freon than u have a leak. is this true? can freon get consumed after awhile that you do need to get refilled? sorry for the dumb question...but I have no clue about a/c systems

most refrigerant leaks you cannot see or hear....which is why we charge an arm and a leg to fix them

If the refrigerant level is low, the compressor will not turn on to protect itself. The refrigerant is what cools and lubricates the compressor.

Freon leaks are easily detected, in the old days we just used to use a propane torch and vacuum tube, now there are electronic detectors.

On cars, the most common way to find the leak is to add fluorescent dye in with the gas, then use a UV light to find it.

It's not the refrigerant gas that lubricates, it's the oil that is carried around the system with the gas that does it.

I guess they teach you differently these days :rolleyes:

When I turn on my A/C air does blow out....but it's warm and you don't hear the compressor kicking on.

Mine is the same, the clutch doesn't engage. The ECU automatically raises the rpm by a few hundred when the AC gets the signal to start, but the signal never gets sent. Most likely it's what people are saying, a total loss of gas causing the low pressure cut out to operate.

• 2 weeks later...

Found out today my A/C blows warm as well :( Popped the hood on the side of a major highway and made sure my A/C Compressor clutch engages.. and sure enough, it does...

So on Saturday I'll take my car to work and hook the A/C Machine up to it, see if i have any refrigerant, if not.. then I'll add the dye, if I do.. then I'll go from there :lol:

Oh yeah.. just to inform everyone, it's possible for a component to leak other than the condensor (to bluechipbmw).. also, whenever you open the A/C system (replace a component), you should always replace your receiver/dryer as well, due to the moisture in the atomosphere can saturate the dessicant :) I'll keep you guys updated..

....if ur low or dont have any freon than u have a leak. is this true? can freon get consumed after awhile that you do need to get refilled? sorry for the dumb question...but I have no clue about a/c systems

To put it simply... No, if there's no refrigerant in the system, then that means there's a leak somewhere..

Found out today my A/C blows warm as well :( Popped the hood on the side of a major highway and made sure my A/C Compressor clutch engages.. and sure enough, it does...

So on Saturday I'll take my car to work and hook the A/C Machine up to it, see if i have any refrigerant, if not.. then I'll add the dye, if I do.. then I'll go from there :lol:

Oh yeah.. just to inform everyone, it's possible for a component to leak other than the condensor (to bluechipbmw).. also, whenever you open the A/C system (replace a component), you should always replace your receiver/dryer as well, due to the moisture in the atomosphere can saturate the dessicant :) I'll keep you guys updated..

That stinks..so I guess I shouldn't order one until I find where the leak is coming from. Keep me posted on your situation.

That stinks..so I guess I shouldn't order one until I find where the leak is coming from. Keep me posted on your situation.

However, i just spoke to my friend who's a technician for Subaru, and he said to check the condenser for a small hole as well, as it's pretty common. :spin:

Okay, so I'm still at work and decided to hook up the A/C machine to it, evacuated the system, added dye, and recharged with 1.0 lbs of R134a (requires 13-15 oz), and when i was all done, pulling the high side line off, saw the refrigerant was leaking out of the schrader valve. Just to give you guys a heads up, I'll be going to Subaru for the schrader valve when i get a chance. :):spin:

Oh, I took a picture of the dye puking out of the high side schrader valve, when I get home, I'll post up.

Sorry for the crappy camera phone pic, but i injected the dye through the low-side line.. and here it is, coming out of the high side :redface:

670446560_ACLeak.jpg.f26c3d18187bc972c5cccf80cb93d332.jpg