LegacyGT.com

ST Shifting problem.

REX2LGT

I have the factory installed so called sts installed on my GT... First off getting it to go into reverse the first time is a pain in my arse. Secondly during spirited driving switching gears from 3rd to 4th is also a hassle as it does not want to get into gear... I mean I'm trying to lay the smack down on it and when I try to put it into forth gear it just wont go in... I have to wait for the rpm's to drop then change it.... this also happens from 5th to 4th when traveling at an excessive rate of speed... anyone know why this is happening...??? should I take it back to the dealer?

I also have the factory sts, and I can't go into second with any speed at all. It is extremely notchy, and isn't smooth into any of the gears.

I asked the service dept about it on my first service, they gave me some phony excuse about second gear having "balk rings" instead of syncr-rings. I'm very disappointed in the shifting action, and would like to know from anyone if the other shifters are better.

Had that problem on my WRX after I installed my kartboy bushings. I had tigtened the bracket that holds the bushing on too much. What I needed to do was take it off, put on locktite, and re-tighten hand tight plus a 1/4 turn. Hope that helps.

- Jon

I had the STS installed and have had none of the issues you all have raised. In fact, I was surprised that it was not "notchier" after reading reviews of it. Shifts are easier for me now and while I had some problems with the stock shifter getting into reverse (and sometimes other gears as well), I have not had ONE problem like that yet with the STS. In fact, I have been very surprised at how easy it has been to get in to reverse when first starting the car (this has always been difficult before with the LGT - though not as bad as it was with the WRX).

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I have a stock shifter. Other than the occational tough time getting it into reverse (usually solved by double clutching), i haven't had any problems with any other gears. Certainly none of the problems people seem to be talking about.

...in the morning, 1st and 2nd gear is a pain in the arse!!! 1st gear is almost impossible to engage...2nd is not so bad!!! 3rd, 4th and 5th no problem!!! But after 5-10 minutes when the engine and tranny is warmed up ... EVERYTHING is fine!!!

CRAZY KEN

I hate riding on 2nd gear!!!

I had the STS installed after having the car for a week and a half. Reverse was tough before and after the install, I sometimes have to put the shifter in any of the other gear positions then it will go into reverse with no issues. I have had no other negative issues and I am quite pleased with the STS.

You guys with the factory short throw shifter...how many miles do you have? I also have the sts and my shifter was very notchy and uncooperative when I got the car, but it slowly loosened up over time and wasn't fully broken in until about 5000+ miles or so.

So if your car is brand new, my suggestion is to give it some time. Now at 13k miles the shifter is fantastic. Reverse is still difficult at times, though.

-Nick

Under normal driving conditions the gear shifting is fine.... now doing about 90mph droping from 5th to 4th when trying to loose my buddy in his VR6 is when it happens.... I'm driving and see him coming up on me in my rear view mirror take it from 5th and BAM! its like hitting a wall... it just doesnt go into 4th I forced it in once in a fit of rage and it ground the gear.... I was so disappointed.... this will often happen when going from 3rd to 4th... Keep in mind we're almost at redline when I'm attempting to shift.... to answer the previous question... i have about 5800 miles on the car..

It doesnt go into reverse about 85% of the time on the first try... I'll have to pull forward a tad then put it into reverse... I'll try what the other guy said and put it into any other gear first to see if that helps... I hope this clutch breaks in soon or I'm going to end up breaking it...

Off the subject... getting my windows tinted up today 35% platinum (nice & reflective) so people cant see me mouthing 4 letter words when I cant change gears...

getting my windows tinted up today 35% platinum (nice & reflective) so people cant see me mouthing 4 letter words when I cant change gears...

:lol: hahahah

just be patient with it, im sure with a new car, you need to break it in just like everything else on the car

but for problems going into reverse, read the owners manual

in a few cars, they suggest pressing in the clutch, shift it into 1st then 2nd, and then to reverse

:lol: in a few cars, they suggest pressing in the clutch, shift it into 1st then 2nd, and then to reverse

This is standard procedure for every MT that I've ever owned (a lot) or driven (tons more). Put the car into first gear and then just shift into reverse. Works first time everytime. Also, whenever I park the car, I always leave it in reverse because my first driving action is usually backing up and it's already to go. Don't have to worry about cold clutch, tranny, etc... and the the transition from reverse to first is an easy one, even with a cold car.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

uh-huh... well, I have the same problem with the sts - really notchy shifting, fails to downshift just like REX2LGT's. I had a Subaru master tech take it out ( I wasn't with him) and the dealer ended up saying there was nothing wrong. And to top it off, I also have the stinky clutch problem. Miles??? over 6,000 so tranny, clutch and shifter are broken in.

My kids friend ended up in arbitration over his WRX. It got so nasty, Subaru gave him a STI straight on trade...he had a lemon.

Anyway, back to the sts problem. Has anyone with this problem asked the dealer to replace the shifter? BTW - even under warranty, we are only allowed two, maybe it's one, free 'adjustment' on the vehicle. Another , uh-huh ....

FWIW, if you want the trans to shift better when cold, try redline synthetic transmission lube for the Trans and shifter. Lighter, slicker oil will improve the action.

For those who'd like a short shifter but haven't yet bought one, you could do what Miata (and other) car owners have done, and that's to cut the shift lever down and rethread it using a tap & die kit.

After doing that, top the shifter lever with a LOWER fitting shift knob.

This will allow you to retain the stock shift mechanism while shortening the throw.

LET ME STATE THIS CLEARLY: I don't know whether Subaru used a solid shift lever or a hollow one. If it's a hollow lever you'd be wise not to cut it. Miatas have solid shifters, so cutting is a definite option for those cars.

I don't know how long the shifter is, but I'd suggest exercising caution and cutting only an inch or so at first, followed by quarter-inch increments if necessary. Cut too much and you could have fitment problems (bumping against other interior parts) or cause the shift action to stiffen.

Now, if the REAL problem is the stock shift mechanism, and not the available aftermarket short shifters, you'd be better off leaving things as they are, with a drain and refill using better tranny & shifter lube.

Of course, you can always do as others have suggested: Put up with it for now and hope it improves over time. Most shifters and linkage loosen up with use.

FWIW, if you want the trans to shift better when cold, try redline synthetic transmission lube for the Trans and shifter. Lighter, slicker oil will improve the action.

For those who'd like a short shifter but haven't yet bought one, you could do what Miata (and other) car owners have done, and that's to cut the shift lever down and rethread it using a tap & die kit.

After doing that, top the shifter lever with a LOWER fitting shift knob.

This will allow you to retain the stock shift mechanism while shortening the throw.

LET ME STATE THIS CLEARLY: I don't know whether Subaru used a solid shift lever or a hollow one. If it's a hollow lever you'd be wise not to cut it. Miatas have solid shifters, so cutting is a definite option for those cars.

I don't know how long the shifter is, but I'd suggest exercising caution and cutting only an inch or so at first, followed by quarter-inch increments if necessary. Cut too much and you could have fitment problems (bumping against other interior parts) or cause the shift action to stiffen.

Now, if the REAL problem is the stock shift mechanism, and not the available aftermarket short shifters, you'd be better off leaving things as they are, with a drain and refill using better tranny & shifter lube.

Of course, you can always do as others have suggested: Put up with it for now and hope it improves over time. Most shifters and linkage loosen up with use.

You can cut down subaru shifters removing about 2 inches, after that the metal goes inside a rubber filled piece of metal to remove vibrations. The hard part is finding the correct tap and die, I had to order mine from some super shaddy site online. And it didnt shorten the throw that much at all.

- Jon

Why shorten the stick itself? It just means you need to move your hand more to get on the steering wheel. Get a proper short stroke kit. However there are no transmission related adjustments on the shifter, none of this will do anything to solve the original poster's problems.

I have a tough time getting into reverse fairly regularly, but the inch-forward then put it in reverse thing works every time. The tougher one is first gear which can be a real PITA when it's cold... Once warmed up, it's a non-issue though. I'm thinking of asking the dealer about it next service, but I'm not sure there's a lot they can (or should) do about it... Last thing I want to do is have them mess up something else...

If the proper short stroke kit retains the stock lever height, it must have the fulcrum placed differently to obtain the shorter stroke. This usually requires greater effort to shift. With a notchy or sticky shift mechanism, a change in fulcrum would probably only exacerbate the negative.

However, I haven't tried any of the short shifter kits on Subarus, being new to the Subaru community in general. Perhaps the available kits work well.

Regarding moving one's hand a little more North/South in relation to East/West, one gets USED to the shifter placement, doesn't one? It's the stroke between gears (that ol' East/West thing) that you'd like to quicken.

Take a broom handle, hold it at the top, and move it like a shifter. See how long the stroke is? Now drop a few inches and move it again. It's a shorter stroke.

Ths SHORTEST stroke, although not the easiest because it will definitely require more driver effort, would be the short shifter with the changed fulcrum. Snick snack quick, but it takes a heavy hand. What's more important to you?

I'll recommend Red Line shifter/turret/trans oil again. It can help, particularly in cold weather.

As to allowing the dealer to "Fix" something that probably isn't broken, I agree with foerster. Why tempt fate?

Archived