LegacyGT.com

2005 legacy to sti intake, intercooler, turbo swap

As we all know 2005 was a bad year for the legacy with a turbo. It seems that it's not if, but when you will blow a turbo. What are people's opinion's for swapping out the intake manifold, intercooler and turbo from a similar model year sti? Would this be beneficial? Will it solve the turbo problem? How hard would it be? :confused: :confused: I have found plenty of OEM parts on eBay to make it happen.

Thanks in advance for any input!

FYI... I have searched this topic. So flame on if it pump's your web mechanic ego...

I was just trying to respectfully get some options if this would make the engine more reliable in not blowing a turbo. There are many schools of though of why this happens eg. banjo filter, up pipe failure, etc.

I understand the swap is possible...... the engines are almost exctly the same with the exception of better performance parts on the sti. I am just asking if people think this would be a good fix.

05 lgt here all stock with vf40 turbo and still running and pulling like new at 90k. I'm not worried about anything. People go 2-300,000 miles on a stock turbo. I'm gonna try to get there too, just need to drive a lot more.

As we all know 2005 was a bad year for the legacy with a turbo.

You sir, are an idiot.

It seems it's not if but when you will blow a turbo...Would this be beneficial? Who it solve the turbo problem?

In english next time. Turbo problem? STOP READING THE INTERNET. You are like a tool that sees a spot on their foot, goes to webmd and starts telling everyone you have cancer. If you want to improve longevity buy:

catless up

Infamous Performance full oil line kit

killer b oil pickup

edit: do all maintenance, check oil level at each fill up

Better yet, just sell your car, its tragically flawed from the factory and is likely to self destruct. Dont forget the glass tranny, crap tob, finicky tuning, inadequate brakes, dangerously underswayed, open diff, etc. Man these cars really suck.

You sir, are an idiot.

In english next time. Turbo problem? STOP READING THE INTERNET. You are like a tool that sees a spot on their foot, goes to webmd and starts telling everyone you have cancer. If you want to improve longevity buy:

catless up

Infamous Performance full oil line kit

killer b oil pickup

edit: do all maintenance, check oil level at each fill up

Better yet, just sell your car, its tragically flawed from the factory and is likely to self destruct. Dont forget the glass tranny, crap tob, finicky tuning, inadequate brakes, dangerously underswayed, open diff, etc. Man these cars really suck.

Thanks for the kind words... It seems you spend a little more time than me on the net with over 4000 posts. ;)

I'm speaking from personal experience. I just blew my turbo at 70k on my 2005 outback xt. My brother blew his turbo on his Baja and then his outback xt both were 2005's with around 60k. I am up on checking/changing my oil and other required maint. A simple "in my opinion don't waste your time with the sti parts swap and do these mods" would have sufficed.

Simonorcal,

Good luck W/ your search & I hope you receive some Valid Responses. In the meantime, ignore the a**holes on this forum.

-Tyler

lol good for you sir, you are still a noob and haven't been on this forum long enough, you defend noobs that says they searched but in fact didn't. we all know there have been threads asking this saaaaame question.

^I don't care how long Anyone has been on the forum. It's a forum, you are going to get Questions asked multiple Times. You are not obligated to respond to the OP's question regardless of how many times it's been ask. If you are going to respond to it than why bother W/ a response like you posted?

-Tyler

Cheaper to just do this VVV, but not need.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/get-your-oil-filtration-down-2-microns-81741.html

I have over 184k on my ORIGINAL motor & VF-40 turbo running like new. Boosting 18.5psi & no shaft play, when check at 174k. Running Asmoil 0w-30 SSO & Ea oil filters at 15k OCI.

Want your turbo to last as long as your motor. In short, check you oil level often & top as needed. Use oil & filter that will protect for the OCI your running. OA's is the only way you know that your oil & filter is up for the challenge. After that IMO no OA's are needed.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Pathetic^ & I was not referring to posts by me. I asked YOU why YOU respond to questions like the OP's W/ a response like YOU did.

I do not consider myself a "noob" on this forum. I stick to the "Interior/Audio" section of this forum because that is my critique. I may be "new" here, but I'm definately a lot more knowledgeable in that area than a good # of members on this forum including you:) So you are also a Noob:)

Sorry for the slight Hi-Jack, I'm off this.

Good luck OP

-Tyler

^I don't care how long Anyone has been on the forum. It's a forum, you are going to get Questions asked multiple Times. You are not obligated to respond to the OP's question regardless of how many times it's been ask. If you are going to respond to it than why bother W/ a response like you posted?

Ty, put a diaper on that weeping sister. One of the forum rules, as important as being polite, is not starting useless threads and spending some time researching. Following that rule is a good way NOT to get singled out. A simple browse of the FAQ sections and stickies would have informed OP more than the rest of us were likely to. When the willfully ignorant say wildliy stupid things its almost as hard to suffer as their defenders.

Anyhow, OP opened the thread insulting all 05 owners and he thinks he is going to make friends? Let me explain whats pathetic to you...

DEFENDING THIS THREAD.

/unsub

Ty, put a diaper on that weeping sister. One of the forum rules, as important as being polite, is not starting useless threads and spending some time researching. Following that rule is a good way NOT to get singled out. A simple browse of the FAQ sections and stickies would have informed OP more than the rest of us were likely to. When the willfully ignorant say wildliy stupid things its almost as hard to suffer as their defenders.

Anyhow, OP opened the thread insulting all 05 owners and he thinks he is going to make friends? Let me explain whats pathetic to you...

DEFENDING THIS THREAD.

/unsub

thanks!

Simonorcal,

Good luck W/ your search & I hope you receive some Valid Responses. In the meantime, ignore the a**holes on this forum.

-Tyler

agreee. i have had my 05 for not only two years, and the turbo has gone twice, and i dont drive like an idiot. wish i could help you come up with a good idea but i havent tried to solve the problem myself.

agreee. i have had my 05 for not only two years, and the turbo has gone twice, and i dont drive like an idiot. wish i could help you come up with a good idea but i havent tried to solve the problem myself.

Not flaming, But driving like a idiot has very little to do with turbo failure. How you or the shop\dealer maintains it does. As I will state this again.

Want your turbo to last as long as your motor. In short, check you oil level often & top as needed. Use whatever oil & filter that will protect for the OCI's your running. OA's is the only way you know that your oil & filter is up for the challenge. After that IMO no OA's are needed.

My question to you is.

Have you done OA's to see if your oil & filter is up for the challenge of the OCI's your running?

How did your turbos fail? When turbo's was replaced. Did you do a engine flush & clean out the turbo oil feed lines or replace with new ones? Did you chance the oil & filter again after a few hundred mile? How did your banjo filter bolts look? Did they get replace with new ones or leave them out?

Ever run your oil low? Like not touching the bottom of the dipstick. Under high G's. This could lead to oil starvation.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived