LegacyGT.com

Are LGT's problem prone?

I currently own a 05 Legacy 2.5i but am looking to get a different car. Of course LGTs are on the list of possibilities but after looking around the internet at reviews and things it seems like they have alot of problems. I absolutely love the LGTs and would love to own one but with college I can't really afford something that won't be reliable. Am I way off base? Thanks guys!

A lot of it is how it was cared for. You may be better off looking for a used outback XT. Those owners tend to have more money, tend to care for there cars better, tend not to be mechanical so they tend to have all the required maintenance done by a shop. They tend to use their cars to get from point a to b and care about getting there first.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I never had a problem with mine. Just couldn't keep my foot off the pedal. If it's any insight I'd buy ten more if I had the funding. Actually I can't go past one for sale without stopping to see it. They are such a fun car that's practical. You'll look forward to winter too. Just get one and a bov. You will be happy forever.

Honestly stick with 07+ if your concerned about all the blown turbo followed by blown engine talk.

:lol: I think bmx045 would disagree.

I currently own a 05 Legacy 2.5i but am looking to get a different car. Of course LGTs are on the list of possibilities but after looking around the internet at reviews and things it seems like they have alot of problems. I absolutely love the LGTs and would love to own one but with college I can't really afford something that won't be reliable. Am I way off base? Thanks guys!

IIRC 05-06 have the stronger motor, but weaker turbo ( do to oil level get to low &/or oil & filter quality don't match the OCI the owner runs. Witch will clog the banjo filter bolts in the tubro oil supply line & the AVCS.), 07-09 have weak motor ( bad crank bearing, like to spin for no reason. IIRC Subaru, I think change bearing late 08 to early 09), but better turbo ( no filters in the banjo bolts I believe).

My 05 as over 192k on the original motor & turbo, StageII @ 18.5 psi of boost.

My problems;

Low beam head lights,like to burn out 9-12mos. Disable DRL will prolong bulb life.

Front wheel bearings, on set #4. After the original set lasted 94k, I'm only avg. 30k-40k out of the front wheel bearing.

Rear wheel bearing, on set #2. Replace original under warranty @ 94k.

Replace alternator @ 169k

Replace OEM CBE at 174k when I went stageII, because it as cracks in the mid pipe & the muffler mounting flange to "Y" pipe was very thin.

In the end it's up to you to do a lot of research.

Good luck, Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

07-09 have weak motor ( bad crank bearing, like to spin for no reason. IIRC Subaru, I think change bearing late 08 to early 09), but better turbo ( no filters in the banjo bolts I believe).

There was a bad batch of rod bearings from the factory, so there is a reason. I would imagine that the bad parts have probably already exploded, but you can always find the VIN range for the original Stop-Sale order.

I thought that was obvious. :lol:

to some:) to others its like, well... i did this and now my car isnt working, or i didnt want to spend money on a tune so i used a manual boost controller and my engine blew up:lol:

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

There was a bad batch of rod bearings from the factory, so there is a reason. I would imagine that the bad parts have probably already exploded, but you can always find the VIN range for the original Stop-Sale order.

Thanks fore the correction.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

In some ways, enthusiast forums are the worst place to find out about reliability, because people only post when their car has an issue. Nobody posts when their car has no issues.

I think it happened once in a 'my turbo didnt blow up poll':lol:

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

A bone stock 05 LGT 5mt driven by wife 90%, extremely reliably at 128k. The one expensive item was a throw out bearing which lead to $850 including new clutch for good measure. Also forgot alternator and starter failure(both $800) this past year. An expensive 2011 for our LGT.

My 09 has no issues, it only has 38,000 miles on it.

My 05 runs great other then a few small issues...

2 wheel bearings left side, I recall hitting a pot hole years back, big enough pothole to pop the hood latch

Drivers window power switch

fan relays and ECU back when that was a recall issue

a few tranny bearings, and broken gears

OEM tmic leaked, must have been the 19psi.

a rear diff

changed turbo before it blew at 142,000 miles

left front axle replaced, boot tore.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yeah my 05 needed wheel bearings and the TOB let go at 100k miles. Ecu recall and fan sensors at the same time. And my speedometer stopped working abruptly but that was because I didn't have tpms etc. Easy fix. I'm running a AP stage 2 with basically stock everything and i haven't had any big issues. It starts every time and gets me from a to b. Quickly. I go through brakes a lot though but that's because some ass put 900 traffic lights on my ride home...

Agree, stick is tons better then slushbox tranny.

It's about driving the car, not just going along for the ride.

Archived