LegacyGT.com

best car around this range?

wow.. tough question.

well first off -- the reason i bought the car is becuase ther is no other car that can match up the legacy across the entire spectrum.

thier are cars that look better than it for the same cost (.. mazda6 / g35 / acura tsx -- all pretty subjective though)

thier are cars that perform better than it for the same cost or less (EVO / STi / mustang / SRT4)

Thier are cars with more space than it (dodge magnum... various suv's)

however i couldnt think of any car that can do as well as it does in every category.

the closest i can come to answering your question is by giving the list of other cars i compared against the legacy.. such as the TSX, Mazda6, and G35... none of the cars could really match up the legacy though.

Yep - odds are good that if there was another car in this price range that did all these things better than the LGT, we'd be driving it.

More important to me though is a car's potential, not just what it is stock. I'll mod any car, and while I'm doing that it might as well make a difference!

not sure about performance and overall value, but a camry "matches" the look of a legacy for sure. :lol:

Yeah, one of my profs has a camry. He'll see the legacy and probably think its a real nice looking camry with a weird hoodscoop.

the base model of 05 G35 which will cost you around 29K.

The 04 325i for aroudn 29K.

The 04/05 IS300

etc..

(btw, finally saw a white Legacy on 57 this afternoon... actually the back doesn't really look like camry...)

http://www.infiniti.com/m/cma/i/veh/veh_gal_g35sed_wall_9.jpg

The Honda Accord V6 Coupe/Sedan:

+ Nice VTEC V6, can catch an off guard 5EAT off the line, and that's about it, but you will still reel it in

+ Better Amenities, Auto Down/Up driver/passenger, steering wheel controls

+ Better resale value

+ Cheaper parts and maintenance

- Wrong Wheel Drive

- Smaller brakes

- Bland styling

- As common as rice

- It's a Honda

or

05 Infiniti G35x

+ Silky smooth and powerful V6

+ An Infiniti

+ Mucho better amenities

+ Good styling

+ Very good resale value

+ Reliable

- Unknown AWD history

- For 40+ year olds

- Handling more for comfort

I keed I keeed

I'm going to be very interested to see the new MazdaSpeed6. It is to have the balance of the Mazda 6, just shy of 275-hp, AWD and the incredible style and packaging of the Mazda 6 with upgraded materials.

The drawbacks are that Mazda is pricing this model shy of $30K in a very limited production run. Plus with the recent quality issues with the 2003 Mazda 6 in mind I'm hesitant to trust a turbo engine sourced from Ford and re-engineered and built by Mazda.

The saving grace of the MazdaSpeed6 is that it will be built in Japan and imported to the United States assuring full quality of the Hiroshima factory.

I'm going to be very interested to see the new MazdaSpeed6. It is to have the balance of the Mazda 6, just shy of 275-hp, AWD and the incredible style and packaging of the Mazda 6 with upgraded materials.

The drawbacks are that Mazda is pricing this model shy of $30K in a very limited production run. Plus with the recent quality issues with the 2003 Mazda 6 in mind I'm hesitant to trust a turbo engine sourced from Ford and re-engineered and built by Mazda.

The saving grace of the MazdaSpeed6 is that it will be built in Japan and imported to the United States assuring full quality of the Hiroshima factory.

Too bad it's not full time AWD, and Mazda's resale value is not up to par.

Also, if you check Consumer Reports, not a single new Mazda is one of their "recommended" vehicles. Not one. I found this out when researching the Mazda 3 for coworker. The Mazdaspeed 6 still looks to be badass, if pricey.

Mazda = Ford, and I think the Mazda 6's v6 is the same as Taurus. Enuff said. :lol:

I agree Mazda quality has slipped. Not with engineering or build quality but with supplier items like brake rotors and oxygen sensors. The warranty has covered every item thus far so no serious complaints. I also own a Mazda 6.

[edit to add:] The JDM/Euro Mazda's do not seem to suffer from the same quality problems as the North American models.

One correction I'd make is that the Mazda6 V6 engine is a Ford. It is largely similar as it is sourced from the Ford Duratec engine but it does have some noticeable differences with 24-valves and variable valve timing (sorta) being the most obvious. It breathes better, offers more power and torque and also revs much more freely in the Mazda application. Plus, it just sounds cooler in the Mazda.

The Honda Accord V6 Coupe/Sedan:

+ Nice VTEC V6, can catch an off guard 5EAT off the line, and that's about it, but you will still reel it in

+ Better Amenities, Auto Down/Up driver/passenger, steering wheel controls

+ Better resale value

+ Cheaper parts and maintenance

- Wrong Wheel Drive

- Smaller brakes

- Bland styling

- As common as rice

- It's a Honda

Actually a couple with a V6 and 6-speed will run mid 14's

I'm suprised there was only one mention of the Volvo. The S40 T5 can be had with AWD and its got something like 220hp from a turbo motor. Unfortunately, the awd has a front wheel bias, but it seems like a pretty good system. Another really nice car that hasn't been noted is the Saab 9-3 Aero. I know MSRP is around 33k, but I bet with the state Saab is in you could get one a good bit cheaper. It also has a turbo four and it is the best looking of all the cars in that range IMHO. Huge drawback: Front Wheel Drive. If the car had AWD I would probably have gotten it over the Legacy.

according to a 2004 ADAC survey (german auto association) mazda has edged subaru and toyota in germany in reliability over the past 5 years. mazda is #1 (average of 7.7 issues per 1000 cars), subaru and toyota are tied for #2 (8.1 issues per 1000 cars). pretty impressive for mazda (and subaru!). honda was #5 (8.4/1000, after daihatsu 8.2/1000!) :eek: audi was #8 with 11.3 problems per 1000 cars.

as to volvo s40/v50 t5 AWD they are much smaller than the L-GT. they are based on a new focus/mazda 3 platform. but are still great cars with superb handling! not nearly as powerful as the legacy though... i shopped for one for my wife - but she liked the new Audi A3 the most :p

Archived