LegacyGT.com

brake pedal lost all resistance for split second while bedding in brakes

nusnek

My 06 LGT needed new brake pads in the rear and the steering wheel was vibrating when braking so I installed project mu ns pads for the rear wheels and got my front rotors resurfaced. Then it was time to bed in my brakes. I did 2 rounds of 10 0mph->60mph->5mph runs with a 30 minute brake between the rounds. Everything went normally except for run #6 in round 2. I hit 60mph, i braked, and the pedal felt fine until my speed was dropping passed 20-10mph, it felt like my pedal broke as it lost all resistance, it felt like i made the pedal break through something :confused:my pedal then immediately regained resistance and held up fine for the rest of the runs. Has anyone ever encountered this before? My friend says its brake fluid boiling from the intense bedding in process causing the fluid to evaporate into gas (air), which is what i stepped through to give me that breaking through something sensation. Would switching up to dot 4 do the trick?

Is it possible that it was the ABS?

I've had my ABS kick in a few times and it is pretty aggressive, to the point that I'd rather have locked up the brakes.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Have you ever flushed the brakes on it? I'll bet it was either the ABS kicking in, or as your friend said you boiled the water in the fluid (especially after 4 years of being in there) out of the system. You should be flushing your brakes 1x every 2 years.

-mike

sounds to me like brake fade. when i lost all the resistance in the brake pedal it never recovered because i busted a technafit line

No resistance = fluid fade (or busted line, etc), not pad fade.

If you have pad fade, the pedal will be solid, but the car wont want to stop... :eek:

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

You managed to boil the brake fluid. Bedding-in pads generates extreme heat, way beyond normal service specs.

However in an emergency maneuver you might get to that boiling point. You should NOT be boiling your fluid during pad bedding. If you are it's time to flush your brakes (Should be done every 2 years at a minimum).

-mike

Archived