LegacyGT.com

Tranny kicks out of gear

I'm not proud of this, although it seems like a really cool and potentially engine saving feature on my car. Whenever the engine gets to its redline, the transmission kicks itself out of gear. Is this normal for our cars? I have never had this happen in any other car I have owned, although the only 5 speed was a 90's Civic hatch.

PS I don't redline intentionally, when I first got the car it redlined at 4500rpm, and until I get the ecu sorted out it redlines right at the beginning of the redline area on the tach.

• I Donated

Your transmission isn't suppose to "kick out of gear" at redline.

Your transmission is on its way out. Thats damaged syncros my friend. So yeah, its not a "cool feature"

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Your transmission isn't suppose to "kick out of gear" at redline.

Your transmission is on its way out. Thats damaged syncros my friend. So yeah, its not a "cool feature"

Probably not a damaged synchro.

The older boxes had an issue with the rear-most nut on the mainshaft coming loose and letting everything slide backwards.

Tighten that nut to the 180ft-lbs, or whatever that torque value is, and everything should go back to normal.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The older boxes had an issue with the rear-most nut on the mainshaft coming loose and letting everything slide backwards.

Tighten that nut to the 180ft-lbs, or whatever that torque value is, and everything should go back to normal.

If its not what he said it sounds like a worn blocker ring.

what is the rear most nut? pictures?

The nut on the back of the main shaft inside the case.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived