LegacyGT.com

Ride is to Rough!!

Fastball

Okay, mind you I live in PA where the roads would probably be smoother if they did them in cobblestone, but I am sick of the harsh ride of my '08 Legacy!

This is my third Legacy, my 5th Subie, plus my wife drives an Outback sedan and my step-son has a 2000 Legacy. Of all these Subies, my '08 is the worst for ride comfort!!

I have replaced the front struts last year with the OE replacements from Rock Auto, (KYB's), and this thing still rides horrible! I commute 40 miles one way to Baltimore area and it's gotten old...... LONG AGO!!!

Not worried about track day handling, this is my daily driver and I want a better ride for comfort. Any suggestions???

Thanks for any/all input!

Check your LCA bushings on the front and back. When these wear out your ride gets crappy, plus they can make some annoying clunking noises. The upside is your ride quality improves along with the handling, the downside is, unless you have a press, it's not a DIY project.

My mechanic is rather thorough and he knows the miles I drive and how I am with the upkeep of my vehicles. I bought it from a dealer in MD and I live in PA. It had to pass the MD inspection at the dealer and then the PA inspection when I transferred everything.

I'm running Conti DWS's and they were brand new when I bought the car and it's rode rough ever since. In comparison

This Legacy rides as rough as my '91 Taurus SHO that was set up with Eibach springs and Tokico struts. It rode a bit stiff, but she handled like it was on rails!

My Subie doesn't handle ANYWHERE as well as the SHO, but she sure rides as rough/stiff.

My car passed MD inspection 20k miles ago, and im in need of new LCA bushings already. They are cheap to purchase but expect to pay on the install. Luckily my buddy has the proper tool to do them for me!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

• 3 weeks later...

What LGT gets 30mpg?

CTS awe should suit your bill.

State Inspections may be rigorous on paper but rarely do they do more than look for brake pads and OBDII scans.

DWS should be soft enough, what TP do you run?

Also why change only front struts?

There are a whole host of things that could result in a poor riding car, so I would suggest having a local subie shop check it out for you and let you know if there are any actual issues.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Side note my Touareg TDI is AWD, gets 30mpg and easily will fit a larger person.

:)

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

When I bought the car the front left strut was blown, so I rplaced both front instead of just one that was leaking.

I have a 2.5 Limited, not an LGT.

Had the LCA bushings checked last week and they look practically new, so that is not the problem.

20+ years ago I was a huge JEEP guy, but then I bought an '87 XT Turbo GL10 that was loaded. First time I drove it in the snow,...well I have never owned another JEEP and have always had a Subie for the winter months. This '08 Legacy is my 5th and as I have said, rides hellish rough compared to ANY Subie I have ever owned.

I'm starting to believe it's the low profile tires and the fact they are the Conti DWS, (I have run factory psi AND have tried running at 40psi; still rough), my father had a set of low profile Conti's on his Volvo and he noticed it rode rough as well with those tires.

I'm ordering a new set of the Pirreli P7's from Tire Rack for my Subie and my wife's Outback sedan. Will let you know if this helps.

Appreciate the input, but I won't own a German made car. Too many friends/family members have had nothing but headaches with theirs and one of them is a VW mechanic at Autohaus in Lancaster. He drives a WRX now, btw.

For some reason I thought you had a LGT...

I've owned about 10+ Subies and we work on them daily so their snow capabilities are well known.

The DWS actually has a very soft sidewall so I'm not sure the tires themselves are the issue.

I don't mind the German cars, just buy the BtoB warranty for it and dump it before that is up... Have to say so far in 11 months I've put 32,000 miles on my Touareg and just turned 31 mpg @ 80mph on a trip upstate NY.

-Mike Paisan

Archived