LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy engine shudder at idle?

I am new to the Subaru world! I just bought a 2008 Legacy with 100k miles on it. I was told by a number of people its no big deal! It is all hwy miles. The only thing I have noticed that was weird was the idle. Once the car is warmed up there is a little shudder while in idle. I can see it and feel it in the engine with the hood open. However, the car runs fine and I cant really feel it inside the car. Is this a normal for the boxer engine? I have read mixed reviews. Some say they have a wiggle to the engine. Some say they run as smooth as a Honda/Nissan etc. Can you guys clear this up? Maybe it just needs new spark plugs, fuel filter, good gas and injector cleaner?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having the same issue on my '07, especially on cold starts. I swear it got worse after the ECU recall/reflash, but then again that's me being paranoid (maybe).

I can hear kind of a loudish rattle when I start it, but it goes away if I tap the gas (which also brings the RPMs down). Wonder if it's the same thing?

• 1 month later...
Hey all, i am having this exact same problem. My mechanic who is a close friend is having no luck at all. Replaced plugs, wires, fuel injector on cylinder one. also reflashed ecu before and and after with no luck. Compression was fine. At this point he's looking to replace th ignition coil but it's gonna cost about 200. anybody have any other possible solutions. I dont want to spend 200 on a coil and still have the problem. It seems electrical but we are in need of some help. He's confident he will fid a solution, but I have to pay him on shop hours to really start ripping things apart. Thanks!:confused:

Check for vacuum leaks.

Inspect and clean throttle body,idle air control valve and MAF. You'll need a can of CRC MAF cleaner or QD Electronic cleaner and an acid brush.

IACV is a second mini throttle valve. It is controlled by ECU while you're idle and controls the amount of air (just like the main throttle does). Just like the throttle body, it can get gunked up by blow-by gases. If this sticks, it can cause erratic idle.

Remove and clean IACV using MAF or QD Electronic cleaner. Clean MAF as well.

Don't touch the MAF with anything. Just "hose off" with the spray.

Hold the throttle valve open and clean front and back using the same product. Scrub with acid brush as needed. If the gunking is severe, you may need to use carburetor cleaner(aggressive and should never be used on MAF) .

Check for vacuum leaks.

Inspect and clean throttle body,idle air control valve and MAF. You'll need a can of CRC MAF cleaner or QD Electronic cleaner and an acid brush.

IACV is a second mini throttle valve. It is controlled by ECU while you're idle and controls the amount of air (just like the main throttle does). Just like the throttle body, it can get gunked up by blow-by gases. If this sticks, it can cause erratic idle.

Remove and clean IACV using MAF or QD Electronic cleaner. Clean MAF as well.

Don't touch the MAF with anything. Just "hose off" with the spray.

Hold the throttle valve open and clean front and back using the same product. Scrub with acid brush as needed. If the gunking is severe, you may need to use carburetor cleaner(aggressive and should never be used on MAF) .

Thanks I was wondering how to clean the throttle plate:)

thanks for the help. Ended up being a simple fix. Even though he tested the wires they must have not been operating properly. $40 for a new set of wires, ecu reflash and we were good to go!

You said in a previous post that they reflashed the ECU and installed a new set of wires with no improvement.

So, what did they do different the second time around?

Archived