LegacyGT.com

New CA Smog OBDII Info Thread

Diavolo

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm bumping this thread because it's been a year.

I am due for smog now. :/

Wondering if all the changes went into effect at the end of last year as mentioned;

Anyone have the OBDII port scan and visual inspection only?

Also if anyone needs 2.2k resistors for your EGT sensor I will provide them for free (actually the cost of two stamps) if you follow these instructions:

1. PM me.

2. I will give you my mailing address.

3. Mail me a self addressed stamped envelope.

I will drop a resistor in the envelope and send it back to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Did my smog, it was the regular test that's non-star certified.

Passed with my 18g stage 3 setup + a CA91 tune. Almost failed at first but the reran after getting the cat nice and hot.

Did my smog, it was the regular test that's non-star certified.

Passed with my 18g stage 3 setup + a CA91 tune. Almost failed at first but the reran after getting the cat nice and hot.

*confused* factory downpipe or no?

What county do you live in?

I'm certain he swapped to the factory DP, as we're in NorCal, Santa Clara County.

I figured as much, but he said "stage 3"

Wasn't clear if he flashed his map back to stock, or kept the same tune, and swapped parts.

So they didn't really do a visual then. That's lucky.

Give us more info please.

You were running a stage 3 tune(?), headers(?), and cobb downpipe.

What up pipe? Do you have a EGT sensor?

Wondering if I should keep my stage 2 custom tune, and just swap my downpipe? Or if I need to also flash back to stock, and use a resistor to cover for the missing EGT sensor?

Last time I smogged I still had an EGT sensor, and I just swapped my downpipe and used a cobb stage 1 map.

So they didn't really do a visual then. That's lucky.

Give us more info please.

You were running a stage 3 tune(?), headers(?), and cobb downpipe.

What up pipe? Do you have a EGT sensor?

Stage 3 tune for CA91

Crucial ported headers

Cobb catted DP for 5eat

Crucial UP

No EGT sensors

Wondering if I should keep my stage 2 custom tune, and just swap my downpipe? Or if I need to also flash back to stock, and use a resistor to cover for the missing EGT sensor?

Last time I smogged I still had an EGT sensor, and I just swapped my downpipe and used a cobb stage 1 map.

I passed with a custom tune (basically stage 2 though) and OEM DP. You don't need to flash, just don't hoon it. Obviously, if they didn't care about the visual, you could pass with no changes.

Remember the test for AWD cars is really ******* easy. If you have a half functioning cat and aren't burning quarts of oil, you will pass the sniffer.

So yeah... I just was smoged a month or so ago...

Sniffer is going away. How much of the tables they are comparing is so far unknown. Be nice to keep each other in the loop WTF is going to happen.

I was lucky. Had my mostly stock setup in play. The new EGT had failed recently. Tuner helped me out with a EGT delete map. But I din't have it in play during the test, thought I did. At any point I could have thrown a CEL but didn't during the RMP tests.

It passed with a mild tune stock UP *gutted*/Down and 16G in the NOS compressor housing.

I'd like t think placing the resistor mod in play and keep the EGT there as a pho sensor would pass visual.

My concern is in fact how deep are they looking at variables? EGT should vary. Not just lock in a static 1250 degree reading.

I was carful about talking to the tech about it. They are in no position to discuss unless they know you personally. Allowing modified cars theourh their shop is a huge finacial liability and not many are going to stick their necks out. For all they know I'm a cop. I'm good for another 2 years. Close to stock anyhow so not much of a concern.

My deal is this.

It's in my best interest to keep the car running in top shape. If the PPM of BS comming out of the tail pipe is within design specs of this model the leave me alone.

The new test seems to be more about checking for CEL and if they go so far to check if a tune is on the ECU, thats taking it too far. It stops being about keeping emmissions in check and more about telling me how to get there. Not freedom IMO, isn't this supposed to be a free country?

Edited by kzr750r1

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, have to keep this in mind for next year.

Last year when I got smogged (05 MT) I had a catted Cob DP into a upgraded Y with stock mufflers and Cobb AP stage II stock map. Stock UP.

Sweated bullets on the visual, especially when I saw him pull out the mirror! I still don't know how I passed the visual. Sniffer was no problem.

I barely drive the car now (wife doesn't drive stick) so I'm thinking I might just donate/sell to someone willing to put the DP back in for the smog.

Hmmm, have to keep this in mind for next year.

Last year when I got smogged (05 MT) I had a catted Cob DP into a upgraded Y with stock mufflers and Cobb AP stage II stock map. Stock UP.

Sweated bullets on the visual, especially when I saw him pull out the mirror! I still don't know how I passed the visual. Sniffer was no problem.

I barely drive the car now (wife doesn't drive stick) so I'm thinking I might just donate/sell to someone willing to put the DP back in for the smog.

Sell the DP, or sell the car? :lol:

since i wanted to have the least problems and get an upgraded turbo i did the unthinkable and talked to a CHP and a smog shop. you can run a stock for the engine (not car) intake, up pipe, down pipe, turbo, TMIC and basically any other part. so if you get a subi up pipe you should pass the visual even if the sensor is gone so long as it does not throw a CEL and the ECU reads ready.

i was warned that silicone tubes, BOV, and inter coolers were going to be an auto fail. the main gist of it was that if there is anything that will vent to air it was a no go even on consumables like hoses/tubes that are not meant to last the life of the car.