LegacyGT.com

Windshields.....

aldog1330

How many of you guys have had to have yours replaced? I had to in February due to a crack that came out of nowhere and lengthed across half the windshield. Now, this morning on my way in to work a car a few ahead of me kicked up a giant stone which slammed into the bottom right corner of the replacement windshield. That scared the crap out of me, and now there is a nice mark in the corner that is slowly starting to spiderweb. Who knows what it will look like by the time I get out of work. Anyone else have as many issues as this, or is my luck just that bad?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it repairable? Call Safelite... The repair is probably covered under your insurance.

Don't know if the Legacy is better or worse than any other car. Nearly every car I've owned, nine of them, has had windshield damage repair at some point.

It is really bad here in NorCal where he have several gravel mines. The trucks pull on the highway and leave a trail of "bullets" on the road behind them.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Just had mine replaced about a month ago....

Damn rockhaulers.....with our state being a NO FAULT state good luck with getting it paid by them.

All rock haulers in our state have the sticker reading "we are not responsible for damage caused by falling debis"

Suggested following distance 200 yards........

try that in FL:rolleyes:

The rock that hit my windshield was about 1" in diameter. The truck was 3 lanes over & at least a 8th mile ahead. Hit just infront & above the steering wheel causing a crack of about 2". By the end of the 2nd day the crack went the entire length of the windshield.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I go through one windshield every two years. Already had to replace mine.

Anytime you get a chip near the edge, it's going to crack. The corners of the windshield are the worst. If you ever need to break a windshield, that where you hit.

It's getting replaced tomorrow through my insurance company, fully covered - thank god for full glass coverage. I mean, this is one way to keep a nice clean windshield, but damnit it is not the ideal way! They had just repaved the highway I was traveling on, so I'm sure it was some debris from the work being done. Sucks, but such is life.

Hmmm. I've got two chips. First was a round impact near the lower pass-side corner and the second is a tiny tiny crack near the middle. Neither has gotten bigger in the last 2 months, even though it's been COLD here recently (26 right now.) The round impact mark I think could be repaired effectively, but I keep expecting the tiny crack to start getting bigger, fast. Wish me luck.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I got a big rock ding in mine a week after I got the car (got the car a month ago). My insurance company covered it and now I have a new very clear windshield. Just be sure the replacement job is done by a good outfit that doesn't cut corners since the windshield is now an important structural part of the car.

I had mine crack 3 months after getting it. Let the crack grow over the winter (nearly all the way across) then replaced it. Had it chip last spring but caught it before it spread with the good 'ol NOVUS.

Thought about doing insurance on the replacement but the deductible wouldn't have been met so bought the glass with Subaru bucks and paid out of pocket for the installation as the dealership doesn't do windshield installs.

Yes, cracked windshields seem pretty common here in NW too.

Cheers!

-Ian

• 3 months later...
Had mine replaced a couple weeks ago. Only had my car 6 days got a rock right under my drivers side wiper. It spread all the way across. pretty cheap to replace though

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

Funny this was resurrected again as I was just sprayed again by a rockhauler 3 lanes over from me:(:(

This will be the 3rd windshield in less than 2 years........

Damn dood, I4 I take it?

Last night I noticed a nice chunk of paint taken out of my bumper and a paint chip in my hood from travelling on I4. :rolleyes:

WOW...where did you get that price...I'll have to search the previous posts...

Local body shop. No heating element of course. But they told me that things are different when youre paying outta pocket vs. and insurance company. Wish everything worked liked that.

They also quoted me $330 to repair my bumper vs. the two $640 estimates I had recieved before. Decent people and they do good work.

Best price here on a new one installed is about 500

I find it hard to believe that your windshields would be that much different from mine. Other than the wiper de-icers. And my new glass is PPG, so its the same glass company. Im assuming Subaru hasnt changed their glass vendor.

Here is a pic I took seconds after the second stone hit the car. The first crack is in the upper right hand corner of the windshield:(:(:(

The second pic is of one hard core Miata owner........note the temp:eek: BTW my oil pressure guage is not hooked up;)

975249899_stonechip.jpg.80dfae81090db12a963c1f4df6eb5d67.jpg

miata.jpg.5aa9982b0e5bea3a9193ad39b977a38c.jpg

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Archived