LegacyGT.com

Picking up JDM parts in Japan?

My son and his friend went to Japan to buy parts. They paid for their whole trip with stuff they brought back. Search posts by palmerx141 about Japan trip on NASIOC. They bought a kevlar SIMS(?) spoiler, packed it in a box and told the airline it was a snowboard so they wouldn't have to pay for any excess baggage. Don't know if you'd be able to pull that off with a bumper.

or just use UPS/FEDEX to ship the bumper back, but stuff the box with other smaller items like lip spoiler or whatever and sell those items to pay for the shipping and the bumper.

+1

It's not as easy as many people think it out to be. If you want OEM Subaru parts, you need to be staying for at least a week and order the parts you want at the beginning of the trip so you can pick them up before you go home. Most dealerships except for Tachikawa are really small and don't stock any parts. You can always go to Super Autobacs but they probably wont have everything you are looking for, and they also have high prices. As for used parts, scope out UPgarage in the area you are staying and make sure you get some good directions from the locals. If you can't speak Japanese, it's quite difficult but definitely feasible as the people there are most always helpful. If you are staying at a hotel, try to utilize the concierge as much as possible. Bringing back large parts is also dependent on what class you are flying on. I went to Hong Kong not too long ago and brought back 6 pt. strut bars (the box was 60"x36"x12") for my FD3S on the plane without any problems, but I was riding in Business Class. I am going to Japan again this summer and I am researching as much as possible to make finding parts easy. Like rs6er said, there are many helpful posts on NASIOC on people's trip to Japan.

Thanks for the tips. Luckily I will have an "interpreter" with me. However, I do not have much time to prepare/research in advance.

Any suggestions on what I could pick up? Some neat little JDM Legacy stuff?

I am looking for JDM wiring diagram for wiring up the JDM fog lights to work like they were intended, the cornering light comes on when you use the turn signal. I have been warned they only come in Japanese though.

Archived