LegacyGT.com

Push type vs Pull type clutch

ChefRacer

Hey guys,

I just heard that there were different types of clutches depending on when the car was made in the 05 model year, and I'm not really clear on what this really means. I have an 05 LGT wagon and I'm planning on having a custom clutch made for it soon, so I really need to know what I'm looking for.

I've been seeking out a 2.5L WRX SMFW to replace my DMFW, but now I'm not even sure if that is the right flywheel for me.

How do I know if my clutch is a push type or pull type, and what kind of setup would I need for either.

Thanks again for your help guys.

1) Why in the world would you need a custom clutch? That sounds like an absolutely terrible idea.

2) Just look. If the clutch slave is mounted behind the fork, you have a pull-type. If it's mounted in front of the fork, you have a push-type. Another way to tell is to look around the fork. If there is a cap with a spot for an allen wrench, it's a pull-type. Otherwise, it's a push type.

3) I am almost 100% certain that no LegacyGT ever had a pull-type clutch. The chances are VERY good that you have a push-type.

You need the SMFW from an 06+ WRX, or an 08+LGT

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

There is a clutch company by my house that makes custom clutches, they have been in business for over 40 years and have been recommended to me by quite a few mechanics. They have been making WRX clutches since it came to the states, and they are alot alot cheaper than other options. Plus I've bought clutches from them in the past as well.

Yea. It sounds like a stupid idea to buy a "custom clutch". But it's your money.

Dan, take a pic and I'll tell you.

In general, If the slave pushes towards the firewall, it's a push type. If it pushes away, it's a pull type.

Some companies, like Tilton, make hydraulic TOB's that are push-type but don't use a fork. They work AWESOME, but cost a lot. If you are drag racing a newer Subaru, however, they are required if you want to launch aggressively. The pivot setup Subaru uses in the push-type cars can pop the fork off the ball on a hard launch with a stiff pressure plate.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

There are at least 300 and as many as 3000 or more early 2005 (2004 build) LGT's out there with 2.5RS clutches. Push type. We have seen 2 in the last year at our shop and assisted customers and other shops with at least 3 more.

Subaru says it did not happen. But their Master Mechanics admit it did and they too have seen the cars. Subaru had a replacement fork that allowed users to just convert the fork. Alas, it has been discontinued. Only way now is a complete retrofit or buy the same clutch that same in the car.

When we sell a clutch to an early 05, we try to always verify the slave cylinder position to make sure it is a pull. Subaru can not verify by vin, we have tried.

There are at least 300 and as many as 3000 or more early 2005 (2004 build) LGT's out there with 2.5RS clutches. Push type. We have seen 2 in the last year at our shop and assisted customers and other shops with at least 3 more.

Subaru says it did not happen. But their Master Mechanics admit it did and they too have seen the cars. Subaru had a replacement fork that allowed users to just convert the fork. Alas, it has been discontinued. Only way now is a complete retrofit or buy the same clutch that same in the car.

When we sell a clutch to an early 05, we try to always verify the slave cylinder position to make sure it is a pull. Subaru can not verify by vin, we have tried.

That doesn't make sense. The old 2.5RS was a push type.

And there was never an LGT gearset in a pull-type case. So those early 05's must have had some bastardized gearset to be in a pull-type case.

And you cannot convert to a pull type from a push type, the push transmissions do not have provisions for the pivot pin required to be a pull type.

You can convert. Subaru made a fork with the 1/2 inch bend in it required. Also, there are at least two companies I know of that make a conversion kit. You turn the slave cylinder backwards and use bracketry. The pivot pin is just that, a pivot. You add a adapter bracket a slave cylinder spacer and a fulcrum adapter. Comp Clutch makes one. All Comp 02-07 WRX clutches are a conversion now.

Yes, it is a bastardized clutch. We refer to them as the red headed step children of Subaru. They are out there. I would not warn you, if we had not seen them, and had to find a solution around them for customers and other shops too.

If you have a 04 build date the only way to tell is to look at your slave cylinder. We turned down a clutch sale last week because the owner could not verify for us (9/04 build date) and Subaru could not verify by Vin. Even FBP could not assist.

Is there any way to see the slave cylinder with the tmic on, or is it underneath? I just gave a brief inspection after finding that my build date is 6/04. Would this setup be a SMFW or is it a diff DMFW? Is there a reason that I would need to convert the setup, or if I got a custom clutch is there a way to make it work without the conversion?

If it's a pull-type, I'd be willing to bet you could use an 02-05 WRX clutch.

You can stand at the drivers side and look under the TMIC. If it's a pull-type, it's apparent where the slave would be mounted on the trans.

Mike, post a picture of this conversion kit.

I want to know what case they used, then. In all my years, I've never seen this. Granted, I spent the majority of my shop time working with WRX's and STi's, and not LGT's, so I've seen far fewer 04-build LGT's than you probably have. I have definitely never encountered an LGT with a pull-type.

Is there any way to see the slave cylinder with the tmic on, or is it underneath? I just gave a brief inspection after finding that my build date is 6/04. Would this setup be a SMFW or is it a diff DMFW? Is there a reason that I would need to convert the setup, or if I got a custom clutch is there a way to make it work without the conversion?

If you are getting a custom clutch, aren't they going to make whatever you have?

• 6 months later...
  • I Donated
In general, If the slave pushes towards the firewall, it's a push type. If it pushes away, it's a pull type.

Wait, so if the slave is mounted behind the fork (closer to the firewall) and pushes forward (towards the engine), it's a pull-type clutch?

This is very interesting. If it's true, it means I have a pull-type setup, yet am using a push-type clutch (I was using a stock clutch with a SMFW, and now am using an FX300 with a SMFW).

Thoughts?

10/2004 build date, BTW.

I will try to take a picture of the fork and slave cylinder when I get home tonight. My build date is 02/2005.

Can you take picture of your slave cylinder/fork setup by any chance ?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

So here is the picture of my clutch slave cylinder sitting in front of the fork and pushing towards the firewall. By explanation here it is a push type clutch.

thefultonhow says he used two different setups with SMFW. Was it the same SMFW or did you use complete CM FX300 kit with CM LW SMFW ?

IMG_20120913_185807_WEB1.jpg.a2f9d4371f200b9df347c6f3733574f7.jpg

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• I Donated
So here is the picture of my clutch slave cylinder sitting in front of the fork and pushing towards the firewall. By explanation here it is a push type clutch.

thefultonhow says he used two different setups with SMFW. Was it the same SMFW or did you use complete CM FX300 kit with CM LW SMFW ?

Same SMFW (the stock one). I got it resurfaced before I installed the FX300.

I forgot to check on my setup last night. The car is parked out on the street, since I'm driving the Spec.B, and out of sight, out of mind.

Wait, so if the slave is mounted behind the fork (closer to the firewall) and pushes forward (towards the engine), it's a pull-type clutch?

This is very interesting. If it's true, it means I have a pull-type setup, yet am using a push-type clutch (I was using a stock clutch with a SMFW, and now am using an FX300 with a SMFW).

Thoughts?

10/2004 build date, BTW.

Take a look. You cannot use a push-type clutch with a pull type.

Mike never posted a part number or photo of this "Subaru conversion kit" he talked about.

Whitetiger is ALMOST correct. The 04/05 FXT used a pull-type clutch, just like the 02-05 EJ20 WRX. The 04/05 Baja Turbo did, as well.

TFH - grab the trans code off of your car, if you can.

Archived