LegacyGT.com

1998 legacy L. is it a interference or non inter motor.

phase one is a non-interference, phase two is an interference motor. You have a phase two 2.2, but it got a little bit of a face lift from phase one; I don't know specifics for it though. Anyone care to lend a hand?

I'm pretty sure it is; as newer engines strive for better emissions, efficiency, and other parameters, more and more is added to the engine, making space more limited. But it's moreso for the piston to travel farther in the cylinder to achieve a higher compression ratio, and for valves to open and close farther. What you'll end up seeing though (my $0.02, take it for what it's worth), is with variable valve timing, valve lift, and cam phasing all becoming commonplace, that the term interference and non-interference engine will have to change or become obsolete in the coming years. An engine with variable valve lift can be an interference engine at some times, and a non-intereference engine at others. And what we'll end up seeing later on is a sensor for the timing belt/chain that will sense if it slips a tooth or breaks, and will relay it to the computer to adjust the valve lift to become a non-interference engine before damage is done to the valves. Phew. That was awesome :)

But I think the 2.5 is an interference engine. There should be some kind of tech. specs for it online somewhere...I'll take a look later.

Archived