LegacyGT.com

New Hog-zawst System!!! The sound of power! *with patented washer technology*

I figured it would compress... thats why I was asking about using 2 gaskets. I'm better at breaking stuff then making stuff when it comes to welding. Now Soldering I can pull. I have some 10-2 or 12-2 back at the farm so I'll grab that and give it a try.

-Lazy Ryan

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, I never meant to imply I was going to solder them together. I was just whining about how I should jokingly solder them instead. I completley agree with you, in fact I wouldn't trust plumbing solder let alone my solder here at work.

I'm actually planning on picking up some scrap sheet stock and starting up the drill press to drill out a pair of partial gaskets.

I know everyone keeps saying that the fuel tank is too far away but I remember the HUGE recall of RX8s for just radiant heat from exhausts effecting the fuel tank.

By the time the exhaust gets to the mufflers there will never be the 360+ degrees F. even the softest solders need to melt. Further, even without any solder the assembly as shown is mechanically stable and will remain an effective gasket without coming apart. The copper will deform to fill the upper gap and the steel washers will remain captive.

However, this was chosen because it was quick and easy. Perhaps a more ideal method would be sheet stock cut to gasket-like dimensions with the side eliminated to create a horn shaped slot aperature, like rpm6500 proposes. Made of a select few thicknesses sound could be individually adjusted with ease.

If you recall, or if you look under the rear of the car, you'll notice that the resultant exhaust gas vector is to the rear along the muffler. No hot gasses hit the car, and especially are no where near gasoline.

Like I said, it has no downside, it's not an exhaust leak it is an exhaust sound tuning port. Whip up some of those gaskets. My washer/wire gaskets are made in minutes. Remember that the flange junction is subject to a lot of flex therefore materials should be chosen to remain stable despite a missing support face.

It is such an interesting sound I like having a reason to start the engine in different places, and to go through the gears different ways. Since this end of the power system will be the last to be modified with aftermarket pieces this will satisfy until then.

if people were confused with my setup (so many PM's of How'd you do this? What? Huh? What size washers? Stainless or not? How thick? etc etc) NO ONE will figure your invention out.

KISS!!

Keep It Simple Stupid!

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Actually I like the idea of keeping the seal on top. Anyone know where to score some extra muffler gaskets? I guess you could just the piece of wire and forget the gasket altogether.
My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

OK, simple it is.

One 11 inch piece of (in this case, YMMV) 12/2 copper wire sourced from that 12/2 Romex.

Wind two turns around a gasket hole sized object, a Sharpie marker is perfect.

Using the pliars you have been using gently crush the two turns flat.

You now have two flat "washers" with a 4 1/2 length of wire between them. Bend to fit flange gasket, bolt it up tight.

Done.

nice...very elegant. I give you credit for thinking...

but to me? na...too much work. I've had it on for 4 months now, and nothing even has any carbon on it.

In addition, it may effect the magical "smoke still comes out tailpipes" effect. Dunno why, but it does.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

Seeya - How does this compare to the other muffler mod you had done previously?

OK, simple it is.

One 11 inch piece of (in this case, YMMV) 12/2 copper wire sourced from that 12/2 Romex.

Wind two turns around a gasket hole sized object, a Sharpie marker is perfect.

Using the pliars you have been using gently crush the two turns flat.

You now have two flat "washers" with a 4 1/2 length of wire between them. Bend to fit flange gasket, bolt it up tight.

Done.

When everyone else did this mod to the pipes, did anyone have trouble getting past the rust on the bolts?. I got one side done, but i still want to do the other side, but now the very last bolt is so rusted, its stripped now. :icon_mad: Please Help

Not sure if this has been posted on the thread or not (too lazy to read through all 27 pages), but be careful if you're taking the washers out. I accidentaly dropped 3 into my Y-Pipe. My friends and I tried everything to get them out, magnets, vacuums, etc. I finally just revved the car a little and they blew out.

im probably gonna have to have the last bolt cut off or somthing, its stripped to the point of round-ness

you ARE trying to take the nut loose aren't you, NOT the bolt head. Spray some penetrating lube on the bolt and nut and Hold that nasty bolt head with some mother vice grip and (using a 14mm box end wrench) take the nut off.

you can do it

Seeya - How does this compare to the other muffler mod you had done previously?

Apples and Oranges.

Modifying the internal baffles was largely to increase flow. The sound changed under full power, but not a lot under 'normal' driving.

This hogmeat variation of mine reunites audible components to the exhaust note that is otherwise missing, and is noticeable from idle on up. Flow, just guessing, is little changed.

I too dropped a washer into the Y pipe. After trying (with no luck) to get it out with a screwdriver I reved it up and blew it out. Because of time constraints I only did one side. I'm happy with the noise level so I'll probably keep it this way. 48 cents (four washers), not bad.

Thanks hogmeat!!! I just finished and I think you just saved me $800 on a CBE!! With the Perrin DP it sounds awesome!!! I used 2 washers (from walmart, love it!) on each bolt...

Woot. Another convert. Who would have thought a simple idea could have everyone riding around with partially disconnected mufflers... :icon_conf:confused::icon_conf

P.S. if you drop a washer in the pipe, just use a shop vac at one end and seal it with your hand over the spout. Use your other hand to block the other end of the y, then shake your exhaust and it will be magically sucked up...