LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay Issue now a recall campaign

Opie

if my fan is not running then all i need is the relay i understand that but what if they replace just the relay and six months down the road the fans start running on their own is Subaru then still going to replace ECU then? bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if my fan is not running then all i need is the relay i understand that but what if they replace just the relay and six months down the road the fans start running on their own is Subaru then still going to replace ECU then? bosco

If you replace the relay than the ecu won't fail because you have the old relay in place ;)

Your safest bet is to take it to the dealer.

Hmm, I just scheduled my appointment at the dealer and they want the car for 3 hours so it can cool down completely to test it prior to swapping the relay and possibly the ECU.

I don't think my ECU is toast, the fans come on after start up, but then shut-off shortly there after.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

I don't think my ECU is toast, the fans come on after start up, but then shut-off shortly there after.

according to the TSB posted, if the fans come on before the engine is at operating temp, your ECU is borked.

ignore him, he'll go away.

according to the TSB posted, if the fans come on before the engine is at operating temp, your ECU is borked.

Sweetness, well in it goes Thursday. I'll just have to remember to bring all the keys no? Aren't the chipped keys tied to the ECU?

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

I dropped by a local dealership today to see if I could get mine scheduled. They took the VIN and checked the system to see if there were any active recalls on it and there were none! The VIN fits the range of the affected vehicles... I dunno :(

If I'm reading correctly the relay gets replaced and then the fan is checked to see if it is running. Mine is running constantly now. Could the ecu be alright even with the fan running all the time? Thanks. Al

If I'm reading correctly the relay gets replaced and then the fan is checked to see if it is running. Mine is running constantly now. Could the ecu be alright even with the fan running all the time? Thanks. Al

No. If the fans are running, it means the ECU has been damaged.

No. If the fans are running, it means the ECU has been damaged.

Correct. The relay gets replaced regardless... hence the recall. As Vimmy said, if the fans are a runnin, then the ECU gets replaced as well.

ignore him, he'll go away.

3) Start vehicle. Verify the radiator cooling fan does not turn on and stay on.

My turned on, then turned off about 2 seconds later... Self-test?

My ECU was fine, relay replaced, got the car back in 2.5 hours all washed up and vacuumed. The time to replace and test was 12 minutes!

I'm glad I didn't wait for the recall notice and just pushed my way in.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

My dealer cold called me this past Monday to inform me of the recall that was about to be sent to me, and asked if I wanted to schedule ahead of the recall? I said sure, why not. I got this done today and needed both the relay and the ECM.

Pretty sharp dealer, I thought! But one tip ... bring all your car keys because if the ECM is needed, they need to program the keys to the new ECM. My guy didn't mention this at the time of scheduling, so of course I didn't bring all my keys.

just got my car back and it turns out that the ecu is fried, but stupid subaru sent them the wrong ecu, so my car has to go back monday.

Did Subaru send them the wrong ECU or did they order the wrong one, and blame it on Subaru :icon_conf

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT