LegacyGT.com

Snow Tires!!! I haven't found great info here yet

I have a 2005 Legacy GT limited i recently got. iv been trying to find good info on snow tires and haunt yet. I live in Western, MA and in the past week have gotten about 12 inches of snow. i don't even know if i have all weather tires. the fred seems to mimic more of a performance tire, so i am getting really crappy tacking in the snow and especially while breaking in the snow. In everyones opinion should i go with a straight full winter tire or can I do with something like a snow sport. I do need to drive about 20 miles a day run trip to work, but also enjoy ripping around in the snow and having a good time with the all wheel drive. i also drive up to VT a lot to snowboard. Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated. This is my first all wheel drive car so if any of these are stupid questions, my bad. Thanks guys…and girls.

I just bought some Toyo Observes studless snow tires. Awesome traction in the snow and slush. They're a little loud on the freeway but that's normal for a snow tire. Great looking tread too, from a distance they look just like the Blizzaks.

I wouldn't buy a studded tire unless the area you live in has packed snow on the roads in the winter. I'd go with a good winter tire and you should have plenty of traction with AWD and stopping power. I had great luck with Goodyear WRT Ice tires on a few different cars. Good bang for the buck and great overall performance. Cheaper then most other highly rated winters.

I have a 2005 Legacy GT limited i recently got. iv been trying to find good info on snow tires and haunt yet. I live in Western, MA and in the past week have gotten about 12 inches of snow. i don't even know if i have all weather tires. the fred seems to mimic more of a performance tire, so i am getting really crappy tacking in the snow and especially while breaking in the snow. In everyones opinion should i go with a straight full winter tire or can I do with something like a snow sport. I do need to drive about 20 miles a day run trip to work, but also enjoy ripping around in the snow and having a good time with the all wheel drive. i also drive up to VT a lot to snowboard. Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated. This is my first all wheel drive car so if any of these are stupid questions, my bad. Thanks guys…and girls.

B.t.w. look at this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215426

453747.png

buy a full fledged snow tire with studs if it's legal. Otherwise, tirerack has good options for studless snow tires.

Except you've reduced traction in everything but ice covered roads. Upsides don't ever offset this fact. 99% of driving won't be on ice for public roads.

I have a set of these and rather like them - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+Arctic

Except you've reduced traction in everything but ice covered roads. Upsides don't ever offset this fact. 99% of driving won't be on ice for public roads.

I have a set of these and rather like them - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+Arctic

I would second these. I have a set on right now and they are great - and cheap!

Thanks for all the help and yea I think it's a little over kill for me to go with a studded tire. I was looking at the Goodyear WRT Ice on tire rack but when I went to see what shipping would be it said product unavailable. Also here my stupid question of the day with and all wheel drive car I should buy all 4 and not just 2 snow tires correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would second these. I have a set on right now and they are great - and cheap!

Wow $109 each, not bad.

My Audi buddy has them on his S4.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

To all, good luck finding snow tires on TireRack right now. They pulled all but two brands off the website in 205/50/17. Similar result with 215/45/17. Must have been a huge demand this year. I'm guessing since they actually removed the tires, instead of just listing quanity of zero, that it will be a while before back in stock.

Hakkapeliitta's were the go-to growing up in Maine.

Damn good tires. I've had RSis on my 05 since 2006 with no complaints except for the price. I think this will be their last season, and I'll probably go with Continentals after that, based on price and great experiences with Contis years ago when they were the only game in town for a true snow/ice tire.

Ya I like those but I thought I'm supposed to put 215/45/17 on the 05lgt and they don't make them in that tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you can find them in 215/60-17 that will be fine, the mph will be a bit off but the tires will be fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived