LegacyGT.com

A month away from getting another 2nd Gen Legacy.

My wife & I share a 1997 Subaru Legacy L. While I love the car to death, it is a Phase 1 2.2 automatic & the options of what can be done to it to increase it's performance are severely limited (to those who are receiving the harsh blow of the current economy level) .

I have already experienced an ECU failure as a result of my friend & I tampering with it. We got more performance out of the car, but it only lasted for a short while.

I'm not going to put too much more money into this car except front bumper (Outback replacement since it looks badass), a higher flow exhaust, replacement shocks, & a paint job to it's original full green color.

I want a toy that I can enjoy tinkering with so I would like to ask for some advice or guidance as to which of the 2nd Gen Legacies are the best to choose from. (I wish I COULD get an older turbo Legacy but that's like finding a 3mm needle in a 30 yard haystack.)

Preferably a manual transmission ;)

I recently got a 1998 GT Limited...granted its got a slushbox but for something stock, there's alot of performance play in it. I'm planning to do alot of things custom because i love the car to death and love working on it (it's my first car :D)

but if you wanted something classy with the stick, there's some 1999 GT Limiteds w/five speeds out there. really, you can't go wrong with a GT...good luck!

One of my first cars was a 96 Legacy L with a 5 speed. Same slow 2.2, but with a manual it was a ton of fun. I always did dream of having a 99 GT back when I had that car. I like the style of those cars as much as I like my 4th gen.

Good luck and post pics of whatever you get.

Archived