LegacyGT.com

Headgasket VS Blockseal

So here were I'm at. I was giving a 98 LGT 2.5 by a neighbor. He said that it had a bad transmission. After converting a cable style trans to a hydraulic style and installing it. I find that the car has a bad headgasket. White smoke out the tailpipe and a bubble or two from the radiator every 30 seconds or so.

O.K. So has anyone had any luck with Blockseal or bars leak. Or bite the bullet and go with a head gasket kit. If I go with the headgasket kit is there one brand better than the other.

NEVER and I mean NEVER use any miracle in a bottle crap. Not only do they don't really work but that crap will clog everything else in your cooling system especially your heater core and radiator. It's will cost you more money in the long run. None of that head gasket sealer or seal conditioner stuff works no matter what the bottle says even when they say "double your money back" in the end its just not worth the $30.

So I started to looking head gasket kits and realized that I need to do the timing belt and tensioner since I'm ripping that all out is there any one that sells a all in one kit? One more question do I need to replace the head bolts. I see they recommend it.

i would not buy a complete gasket kit. i would buy head gaskets from am online dealer, gaskets only and maybe the seals for the front of the engine. and a timing kit off Ebay, replace everything.

and the rest i would get from ANY parts seller, either local or online.

some things need to be ''subaru'' and some do not.

and lastly, what ever happened to the trans you were working on. what was the solution?

we love follow up and how things got fixed.

your post count today is 17, and you have started 9 threads. you are great at asking questions, how about filling us in on your solutions .

what happened with the trans?

I would just buy the head gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets and all of the cam seals from the dealer. OEM Subaru parts are far better quality. The timing belt kit stick with a Gates brand and get the kit its cheaper plus its best to replace everything while your in there. Don't forget the waterpump and don't buy a remanufactured one. Get a NEW one from Napa. I've had the best luck with Napa's New waterpumps. Most other auto parts stores waterpumps are junk.

Archived