LegacyGT.com

Datalogging to SD card with Tactrix? What am I missing!?

Akasa

Finding information on the openecu & romraider forums is like pulling teeth.

I can't seem to get the whole concept of datalogging down, in fact, i'm having difficulties in general understanding exactly how to datalog to my SD card.

For the record I have a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon - 5 Speed Manual Transmission.

So far i've been doing what I though was right,

• My SD card is formatted to fat32. It's an 8GB.
  • Installed EcuFlash
  • Navigated to the C:\Program Files\OpenECU\EcuFlash\samples\logging directory
  • Copied text file to the microSD inside of the Tactrix unit (I used K-line, not sure if this is correct.)
  • Renamed the file to logcfg (text file.)

After doing this I can't seem to get the tactrix to log, even when I press the defroster.

Can someone please tell me what i'm missing?

There were some really nice online tools to generate the logcfg file automatically for what you wanted to log, along with the triggers. They all seem to be MIA at this point.

I'm not sure if you can just copy/paste the sample text file right to the microSD. The signal addresses and whatnot are ECU specific and I don't know where ECUFlash gets their numbers. Also look at the triggers section to make sure they haven't been commented out.

I would also be very interested in what others have to say since I haven't gotten this to work correctly either.

K line is correct since your vehicle is pre-CAN. For the simplest starting point, take subaru k-line.txt, rename it to logcfg.txt, and drop it on the SD card. If that works, then add a trigger to see if there is something in that next step causing a problem. If nothing works, can you tell us what other files end up on the SD card after you try to log? Do you get a blank output file or no file being generated at all?

K line is correct since your vehicle is pre-CAN. For the simplest starting point, take subaru k-line.txt, rename it to logcfg.txt, and drop it on the SD card. If that works, then add a trigger to see if there is something in that next step causing a problem. If nothing works, can you tell us what other files end up on the SD card after you try to log? Do you get a blank output file or no file being generated at all?

http://pastebin.com/eL5jEWwP

Attached is what my logcfg.txt file is. When I plug the device in no files are generated. Toggling defrost doesn't work to start logging either. The lights just make the standby rainbow effect instead of read and write lights. :confused:

I've used k-line.txt as a sample, even renaming that and dropping it on the SD card. No dice with either RPM dependent or Defogger buttons.

Edit: Using ECUID A2WC500N because IIRC that is the ID for 2005 USDM MT.

Guys... you'd think after working in IT for a few years i'd remember the thing that always trips us up... Check the simple things first...

I forgot to format the card to FAT32. It was NTFS for some reason, even though I SWEAR that I formatted it to FAT32, I guess I was mistaken... I'll take the car out now to see if it logs correctly.

EDIT: It works.. I had the wrong format. I feel like an idiot.

Though I did learn a lot today, thank you all for your help!

One more issue that I seem to be having...

My current ECUID is A2WC522N. I'm running the updated version from 521N.

I can't seem to get IAM, IAM (4-Byte), or Knock Sum working correctly.

Attached is what i'm seeing after a few 3rd gear pulls. The data is consistent. - That being said, I figure my params aren't correct? Can anyone give me insight on this?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

paramname = IAM

paramid = 0x0000F9

databits = 8

scalingrpn = x,16,/

paramname = IAM_(4-byte)*

paramid = 0xFF267C

databits = 32

scalingrpn = x

paramname = Knock_Sum*

paramid = 0xFF5CFC

databits = 8

scalingrpn = x

knockknock.PNG.79ffbd76f96e9d66d320909603a01743.PNG

It looks to be correct. Maybe pull a learning view to make sure you have the correct ECUID. Also try just logging one of the parameters;just try the first one. For SD logging, the 4 byte parameters slow down your logging rate. Use 2 byte and 1 byte parameters and the "Sampgroup" option for parameters that don't change often(ie. IAM, IAT, Water temp, etc)

Edit: Try this one. Its the one I use, IAM 1 byte.

paramname = IAM

paramid = 0xFF5355

databits = 8

scalingrpn = x,.0625,*

I'm having some trouble opening the logs but there is a sticky at the top of the tuning section as well as a FAQ by cryotune(?) that should help. Also, post more about your car. Is it stock? Also, the romraider forums have good info including how-to's by NSFW(an open source tuning guru).

For general logs, I like to log:

Wideband O2, timing, IAM/DAM, FBKC, FLKC, WGDC, throttle, RPM, load, MAF volts, intake temp, boost, commanded fuel(optional)

I plan on getting a tune by Cryo shortly, but I just want to make sure that I don't have an issue first. My car is stock other than a disabled OL/CL delay map and a catless up pipe. Otherwise it's stock.

I've done a lot of research on my vehicle, but it's kind of a lot of information at once.

I appreciate your feedback too, thanks a bunch.

I think this is what you are looking for, I could be mistaken since my car is an 08 but I use a tactrix as well. This website will allow you to generate the logcfg.txt that you need to place on your micro sd card that goes inside the tactrix unit.

http://subaru.hunterjm.com/

Just an FYI, the RomRaider profile you need for this website should be your profile.xml in your RomRaider folder within Program Files on your computer. To generate this, go out to your car and connect your usb cable from the tactrix (plugged into the car of course) to your laptop. Open up RomRaider Logger, you should be connected to your car at this point I believe (sorry if I miss anything). Set the parameters you would like to log using the checkbox. Then navigate up to File > Save Profile. If you want to rename this you can select Save Profile As.

I think you want to use logg_STD_EN_v247 which is what I used since I'm in the US. They say you can find the ECU ID from within RomRaider Logger I actually didn't look there I found it in LearningView up at the top left, if its in RR Logger great, if not check the LearningView. Logging method K-Line. I tried CAN BUS at first but the logs never worked. As for the Logging Trigger I use the defogger switch (rear), but you can use whatever you want.

Hope this helps

I've attached logs from each pull. 3rd gear was first, then 2nd, then 1st. Looks like i'm knocking a bit? :eek:

Any clue what I should be logging to try and figure out what exactly is causing the knock event? Sorry guys, still pretty new to this.

Curious how your IAM is being listed as 0 yet Knock Correction Advance is positive (unless the parameter spec is wrong...). If IAM was really 0, I'd expect to see Knock Correction Advance 0 as well.

Your Engine Load (Relative) parameter can probably be omitted from the parameter list, it doesn't seem to contain useful data and omitting it might help increasing your logging sample rate a little bit. 5 samples/sec isn't too bad, but once you start w/ the tuning process you'll benefit from increased resolution.

bnguyenbb6's suggested parameter list is basically what I use too. I usually also log Gear Position and TD Boost error. Keep Knock Sum in there too, it'll be useful in determining whether any FLKC that appears in logs are new knock events or a previously learned/applied timing correction.

Edit: Your AF Learning #1 seems a little high (negative), but maybe I'm wrong. Can you post a Learning View, or a short datalog that includes AF Learning #1A, B, C and D? Would be good to see what your fuel trims look like (to see if you might have any vac/boost leaks).

I've uploaded my learning view as an attachment.

My IAM is staying consistent, so I bet that my params were wrong.

Though, my Airflow range is... excessively in the negative. If I understand this correctly, my car is compensating for something, and adding fuel. Therefore running rich?

The only thing that i've done on this map is ZEROED out the CL/OL delay. The only thing i've done to the airbox is delete the intake silencer. I don't believe this would cause the problem that i'm seeing?

Would resetting the ecu and driving for a few days be a good test?

learningview.PNG.60cb03cecc5a43b5c7213d2f12690d85.PNG

It's not running rich or lean, per se. It's subtracting fuel (in your case in all of the defined airflow ranges to varying degrees) to hit the closed loop fueling target. Doesn't seem to be a vac leak, since those usually cause the lowest range (the 1A) to sit at/near the maximum positive value the tune allows for (usually 15%). Maybe check/clean the MAF. Are you running stock airbox w/ OEM filter?

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this, I seafoamed my GT through the diverter valve and I noticed seafoam smoke coming out of where my downpipe meets my turbocharger. I'll have to get under the car, unbolt my exhaust from the hanger, and bring it forward and retorque the bolts. When I changed my up pipe I bolted the exhuast to the hanger before torquing it to the turbocharger, I believe this is the issue.

I replaced my lower intake manifold gaskets and the stockers were really shot. They were hard in several areas and non-pliable. Replaced them with superceeded intake manifold gaskets. My sketchy idle is almost entirely gone after replacing these gaskets. I have a MY05 GT. I was aware that this was a problem with 07-09 GTs, but it was definitely a problem on my 05 as well.

EDIT:

It's the wastegate arm leaking :(

• 5 months later...

Going to bump this thread again, as the title captures my exact thoughts. I got to the point where I can read basic data from the Romraider Logger function using the OP2.

I'd like to get the SD logging capability set up; I'm having some issues.

- I know the card (16G Toshiba, formatted to FAT32) can be read by my laptop

- I cannot see the card going through the OP2. I feel this is slightly important, as that's likely how the OP2 writes to the card.

I can insert the card, though I don't feel a positive connection has been made between the card and the OP2. Is there a better quality card I should be using/how can I verify I should be able to see the SD card through the OP2?

when you insert the card, you should feel some slight resistance and then it should go a bit further forward and when you let it go it should basically lock into place all the way within the OP2.

Make sure the pins are aligned with the side of the MicroSD where they are facing. Sounds stupid I know but just double check all of these things.

I typically use my ignition key to insert the MicroSDCard in and then get it back out.

No, doesn't sound stupid. I made sure I saw where the contacts are before inserting the card just so I didn't destroy everything. The card only slides in in one spot, but stops about half way in. I'm afraid to use brute force on electrical components.

I also had to trim some plastic on the side of the card to get it in at all, which is why I'm wondering if I would be better off with a different one.

There is a definite click once you get the SD card all the way in. If you push it in with your fingernail that should do the trick. No trimming of any plastic should be needed. We insert/eject an SD card in every unit as part of the final programming/testing cycle here in our office so an SD card should seat properly unless the catching mechanism has malfunctioned. If you think there is something wrong with the unit, you're welcome to send it in and we'll take a look. Just shoot us an email at support at tactrix dot com.

-Mike

Tactrix

Just to followup my issues, I found why the card wasn't going in. For anyone wondering, the SD card sits recessed into the dongle.

I connected using romraider logger to determine my ECU ID, checked my desired parameters, saved that as a profile, and used the online tool to configure the logcfg file. Copy paste onto the SD card through the dongle and now logging works perfectly.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Archived