LegacyGT.com

short throw question

I recently bought a '08 spec.b from a dealership in New Jersey, and at some point the previous owner must have installed a short throw kit but the guys at the dealership didn't know anything about the car's history so I don't know what kind or when it was put in. None of that's really a big deal to me, but the thing is the kit (I'm assuming that it's responsible) has the entire shifter and lever seated really far forward in the boot. It's to the point that the leather of the boot cover is starting to crack a little bit from being pulled tight while parked in gear, and when driving in 4th the shifter looks like it should be in neutral.

It's not really bothersome or anything, but I was just curious if anyone thought that was out of the ordinary for some reason or cause for concern. A fellow spec.b driver has driven it and noticed the forward positioning right away but wasn't sure what exactly that meant as far as what kind of sts kit was installed.

Any thoughts? All input is appreciated

Any chance this could have done any damage if that is in fact what happened? Is it worth me having it fixed? I'd kind of like to have it set back in a more normal positioning as I have long legs and need to sit a little further back.

From what I've read a backwards shifter installation wont cause damage to anything. Remember, a short shift kit is nothing more than a different shift lever utilizing different angles and articulation -- it doesn't affect anything related to the actual transmission. Really the only "damage" is the shift lever being too far forward and getting in the way of your 12V accessory port and climate controls and the fact it defeats the purpose of a short throw because it makes you reach further to shift.

Sounds like the guy who installed it was a bit clueless as to what he was doing, and he somehow didn't notice it after the install :spin:. It was probably a DIY job by someone who had no idea what they were doing.

Archived