LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Scooby, I read that--and it refers to a spec.b R180 diff. I was asking if a matching STi R180 diff for the matching transmission would be ok. From you requoting the first post I'm guessing your opinion is that "no, it will not work" since the OP says spec.b diff?

FWIW I am using a matching transmission and diff from a 2009 STi. I even used the STi tranmission cross member & mounts and the aluminum diff cradle.

Scooby, I read that--and it refers to a spec.b R180 diff. I was asking if a matching STi R180 diff for the matching transmission would be ok. From you requoting the first post I'm guessing your opinion is that "no, it will not work" since the OP says spec.b diff?

The answer to your question is yes.

Been discussed many times in these threads

Only difference to spec b R180 and STI R180 is the yoke.

You can swap your R160 yoke to an STI R180 so the driveshaft will bolt up.

Only other thing to worry about is the R180 gear ratio. Make sure its for the correct STI transmission

Edited by Scooby2.5

My confusion with Deltanu's project is that in a post he states that he is using a "WRX rear-end" (r160) .....so, an automatic or SpecB driveshaft will bolt right up w/o any need for a change in the yolk at the rear diff.

FYI - I have an 08 Spec B transmission, Spec B driveshaft and an 03 WRX (3.54) r160 rear-end. Everything bolted up perfectly.

My confusion with Deltanu's project is that in a post he states that he is using a "WRX rear-end" (r160) .....so, an automatic or SpecB driveshaft will bolt right up w/o any need for a change in the yolk at the rear diff.

Yep--that is correct.

Tits mcgee

Yep--that is correct.

I bought my Spec B transmission and rear-end from Millenium and they were very knowledgeable and helpful. I am not sure why there is so much confusion about the driveshaft on this project.

Edited by KCwagon

Because his supplier said that the STI/Impreza ones would work on a 6MT installed in a Legacy platform and they won't. He was attempting to determine, with specific data, whether his supplier was correct, or not.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I bought my Spec B transmission and rear-end from Millenium and they were very knowledgeable and helpful. I am not sure why there is so much confusion about the driveshaft on this project.

Maybe R180 vs R160? No idea. Obviously, that has nothing to do with length... but... it's different.

Did Millenium also provide rear half shafts? On obtaining a Spec.B tranny, I was told, "good luck."

Tits mcgee

see the attachment in my post here http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4470783&postcount=1340 this should tell you what you need for transmission and diff combinations. As long as the FD matches, regardless of year, your should be fine. So if you go R180, use spec B half shaft, R160 use existing. Edited by Waxiboy

Update...

I talked to Frank at Millenium. If you want to go back & read, you'll see he's the source of my 6MT parts. He had every intention to send me an STi driveshaft for this swap, knowing full well it's going on a Legacy. He's given high credentials in this thread... so when I ask him once, twice, the same question, and he says, "look--I'll give you what you need," who am I to question him again?

Then I come to this thread, and, well, you can read the last 30 posts or so. So I called Frank today & gave him the measurements from the pages SBT quoted. He said he'd see what he can do for sourcing an auto shaft, because the Spec.B shaft is pretty much out of the question.

THAT is all I was trying to do by asking for dimensions. I'll say it again... all I want is the right parts, the first time.

Tits mcgee

Maybe R180 vs R160? No idea. Obviously, that has nothing to do with length... but... it's different.

Did Millenium also provide rear half shafts? On obtaining a Spec.B tranny, I was told, "good luck."

I used an r160 so the Legacy half-shafts just bolt right up. An r180 DOES require SpecB half-shafts.

Update...

I talked to Frank at Millenium. If you want to go back & read, you'll see he's the source of my 6MT parts. He had every intention to send me an STi driveshaft for this swap, knowing full well it's going on a Legacy. He's given high credentials in this thread... so when I ask him once, twice, the same question, and he says, "look--I'll give you what you need," who am I to question him again?

Then I come to this thread, and, well, you can read the last 30 posts or so. So I called Frank today & gave him the measurements from the pages SBT quoted. He said he'd see what he can do for sourcing an auto shaft, because the Spec.B shaft is pretty much out of the question.

THAT is all I was trying to do by asking for dimensions. I'll say it again... all I want is the right parts, the first time.

We all know all too well what you were trying to do. Many of us have done it ;)

And this shows that frank is obviously knowledgable about STI 6 speed swaps in the cars that normally get STI 6 speed swaps. WRX's

Doesn't mean he is not highly recommended for parts

I've talked to frank as well, great guys at millennium. I've bought parts from him. Driven from Kansas City to his business (while on a business trip), but when it comes to 6 speed swaps into a legacy, I'd come to this forum and ask those that have actually physically done the swap. That's what I did and why I did it.

Thanks hammer, NSFW, and groeff

I actually find this all quite comical as the drive shaft length issue was talked about quite extensively in these threads.

Seriously Frank doesn't know that a legacy is a longer wheelbase than an Impreza?

It's like the EJ255 motor. So many think all EJ255 motors were the same. They are not.

Just like the legacy 5 speed and the WRX five speeds were not the same.

While your at all this and trust me on this one.

You need a spec B shift linkage or an 08 and Up STI one. I would look for the 08 up STI one.

Don't let frank give you a shifter and linkage out of a STI PRIOR to 08. The stay rod will be too short unless you want to lengthen it as hammer did.

Also if you go R180 make sure you not only get spec b axel shafts, get the spec b or 08 up STI cradle that holds the R180

And don't forget the spec b downpipe bracket.........

Edited by Scooby2.5

We all know all too well what you were trying to do. Many of us have done it ;)

You need a spec B shift linkage or an 08 and Up STI one. I would look for the 08 up STI one.

Don't let frank give you a shifter and linkage out of a STI PRIOR to 08. The stay rod will be too short unless you want to lengthen it as hammer did.

Also if you go R180 make sure you not only get spec b axel shafts, get the spec b or 08 up STI cradle that holds the R180

And don't forget the spec b downpipe bracket.........

AFAIK, the transmission is coming out of a 2011, so that should include '11 linkage & shifter. I read HD's mod. A clean solution, but one I don't want to have to do. I'm now about 1 month from an install and I've paid for the parts from Millenium, so I should be able to get everything shipped & have time to inspect. I'll post photos here or in a new thread when it all arrives.

I'll have low-mileage 5MT upgrades in the classifieds sometime after that :p ... F/R Cobb bushings, Cobb SS & knob! Some of my first & favorite mods...

Tits mcgee

AFAIK, the transmission is coming out of a 2011, so that should include '11 linkage & shifter. I read HD's mod. A clean solution, but one I don't want to have to do. I'm now about 1 month from an install and I've paid for the parts from Millenium, so I should be able to get everything shipped & have time to inspect. I'll post photos here or in a new thread when it all arrives.

I'll have low-mileage 5MT upgrades in the classifieds sometime after that :p ... F/R Cobb bushings, Cobb SS & knob! Some of my first & favorite mods...

I had all the Cobb shifter stuff in my 5 speed as well, loved it.

I actually just removed my Kartboy (Cobb) front and rear shifter bushings from the 6 speed. The noise in the first few gears into the cabin is pretty bad in a 6 speed.

If I didnt drive my car every day and about 25k a year I probably would have left them. My car is already loud with the Cobb exhaust.

I just purchased and installed stock STI shifter bushings from a brand new STI that someone removed on NASIOC.

I then installed a Cobb double adjustable STS. I love how short you can get the throw and still adjust the stick height.

This combo is perfect IMHO. The Cobb Shifter stiffens everything up (no rubber in the stick) and the STI shifter bushings keep thing somewhat stiff yet quiet.

If you decide to get the Cobb Shifter for the 6 speed, you order the Double adjustable for the SPEC B.

The only difference in the STI vs Spec B Cobb shifters is how the boot attaches.

The way the legacy and Spec B shifter boot is you need the Spec B Cobb shifter

Here is a portion of Ian armstrongs email to me:

"Greg,

The only difference between the 215315 STI shifter and the 224316 Spec B shifter is the top rod. On the STI, the shift boot holder screws in from underneath, so our happy shaft has provisions for this. The Spec B shift boot holder screws in from the side. Therefore, the shaft has a thicker portion where this screws attach to. Therefore, you'll just need to determine how your shift boot holder attaches, and order the appropriate one. If you have any other questions, please let me know. "

Here is a video of what a newer STI transmission sounds like with the Cobb/Kartboy bushings

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op8F8j-eA0s]2010 WRX STi Drive with Kartboy front and rear bushings and SS - YouTube[/ame]

Did you make any progress on this ?

Thanks for checking in--Frank is sending a 4EAT shaft. He said the pallet might go out today, but I told him I'm in no hurry. He's going to send pics of everything before it goes, just so I can see what's there. I asked about the DP bracket, but he couldn't promise me it'd be there. I'm guaranteed a clutch (no idea about condition), tranny, shaft, and diff... slave cylinder & shifter/linkage, harness.

What is this part called--the "clutch fork shaft" that NSFW was missing from the last photo in this post? I just want to be sure I get it... although if it's coming with the clutch, I probably won't have a problem. I'll have a few weeks between the time the parts arrive at the shop and my installation window, so I'll have time to get fluids and bits & pieces that might not show up in the package. Need to find out how much Extra-S I need for the diff. I have two qts at home & will be ordering more from IP. I know there was something else I'm forgetting... but I'm sure I'll remember when it's too late to do anything about it.

I posted in my "imminent 5MT failure" thread that I visited the shop earlier this week, and one of the techs/owners said he's pretty sure it's my 5MT input shaft bearing that is on its way out.

Oh, I remember what I was thinking about... DCCD. I have no real drive to install a controller right now. I'll leave the diff open for the time being. The upgrade is just a side benefit to having a solid transmission.

Tits mcgee

If the Throw Out Bearing is still attached the fork should be there. I guess it would not hurt to ask though.

I have read that it is OK and I have read that it is NOT OK not to use the DCCD so...:spin:not sure about that one.

You may already be aware of this but - Make sure you use the Neutral Safety switch from your 5 speed transmission. It also helps to have your wiring harness squared away before you install the transmission. I learned the hard way that the 6 speed Neutral Safety Switch does not work with the LGT (it has a reversed polarity).

Good luck with everything, you will LOVE the 6 speed.

If the Throw Out Bearing is still attached the fork should be there. I guess it would not hurt to ask though.

I have read that it is OK and I have read that it is NOT OK not to use the DCCD so...:spin:not sure about that one.

You may already be aware of this but - Make sure you use the Neutral Safety switch from your 5 speed transmission. It also helps to have your wiring harness squared away before you install the transmission. I learned the hard way that the 6 speed Neutral Safety Switch does not work with the LGT (it has a reversed polarity).

Good luck with everything, you will LOVE the 6 speed.

From what I read way back when I did my swap. It's both, DCCD is need for 04-05 STI 6MT, because the DCCD is a full electric magnet, wet clutch center diff. 06 & up not needed right away (IMO) do to it's part mechanical & part electric magnet, wet clutch center diff. But neither on was designed to run with out a DCCD controller.

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I read that part & have already advised the shop. If I get the chance, I may just pull the switch out of the 6MT & hide it to avoid any confusion.

Tits mcgee

I doubt Frank will have that DP bracket. It needs to be off a spec b

If he has a spec b or 08 up sti you also need the R180 cradle

I think NSFW was referring to the clutch fork pin and plug. I've seen that missing before.

I think the transmission hold with 3.3 or 4.3 quarts and the rear diff R180 holds 1

I doubt Frank will have that DP bracket. It needs to be off a spec b

Or an 08+ STi.

On a separate note, anyone with a swap also running Cobb DP and Perrin mid pipe? My midpipe is hitting the carrier bearing and is giving me some clunk especially on high torque situations. :mad: I am thinking of GrN trans mount to minimize the tranny (and DP) movement . Also having the pipe flattened a bit to avoid hitting the carrier bearing.

Have you tried undoing your carrier bearing and your trans mount bolts/nuts and letting the whole system re-center itself? Sometimes, during the install, the front-to-rear, axial alignment gets bumped off-center and causes rattles, clunks and contact noise. In many cases, once the system recenters, these issues disappear. If you do go the route of the other "harder" bushings, you'll still want to do this.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -