LegacyGT.com

Check engine light with no fault codes?

Hey all; so on Wednesday I pulled into my driveway after work and noticed the check engine light was on. Came back to it later, still on. Plugged in my bluetooth OBDII reader and checked for codes using both Torque and Carista; neither found any fault codes. So, I cleared the code. It hasn't come back since, so far.

Has anyone had a CEL come on and when you plug in an OBDII reader it shows no codes are active?

Was the car acting weird when the light was on?

Nope. Was driving home from work and as I was pulling into my driveway I saw it was on (it wasn't when I left work 15 minutes prior). Otherwise, there was nothing weird about the car that I noticed.

New development: CEL on steady is back on again, same circumstance; left work last night it wasn't on, pulled into driveway it was.

I haven't had a chance yet to see if there are codes with this one. But thinking of it, on both occasions it's been very hot out (100 degrees F) and I drove home with the AC on at nearly full blast the whole way home. That may be coincidental, but the days in-between I didn't have the A/C on, or if I did, I only had the fan speed up to 2 (out of 4).

Has anyone had a CEL come on and when you plug in an OBDII reader it shows no codes are active?

ive had to run my code checker a couple times in a row before to get codes to show up. i figured it was the elm327 bluetooth thing failing tho, not the car

It's dependent on your scanner, not the program you use. Some scanners are unable to detect the proper protocol the OBDII system uses and if it can't autodetect it, it will use the default for the scanner. I have an OBDLink LX bluetooth scanner that works pretty awesome. I've used it on just about every car I've come across and the app is top notch for showing statistics on the engine sensors.

So I rescanned the car again (I have a BAFX bluetooth OBDII dongle) and got a p0325 code. Looked it up and that's apparently the knock sensor circuit malfunction code. So I ordered a new one, but go figure, the light goes off and has been off now for the last 2 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived