LegacyGT.com

New owner, familiar Legacy GT.

Hey LGT,

My name is Patrick. I'm from upstate New York, and I just bought a Legacy GT you all surely recognize. It's a 2008 5MT, used to be owned by another member. It now has about 140k on it. I think I did alright on it, but it does have it's issues.

The body isn't perfect, it appears to have seen some sort of bodywork. It threw a few codes on the ride home (4 hrs). 0011, 0021, and 0420. From what I understand, 0011 & 0021 are codes for the OVC senders on either side of the motor. The PO claims that the turbo was replaced, so I assume these could potentially be the cause of the prior failed turbo. 0420 appears to be caused by the up-pipe.

I'm crossing my fingers that I can change the OVC senders, change the oil (check the pickup), and everything will be fine... It does make a funny whistle when under full boost, so I will be checking the prop shaft as well. All-in-all, if it's salvageable, I think I did alright on the car.

I'll get some more pictures this weekend, but this is all I have for now. Let me know what you guys think!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/mrpatman/08LegacyGT/12974357_10153952816905943_1728131789248827948_n%201_zpspgped1xg.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/mrpatman/08LegacyGT/12985395_10153953469175943_5027765038475319004_n%201_zps6ngkoiag.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The P0011 and P0021 codes are the death codes for the turbo. That whistle/whine from the turbo is not good either, or does your turbo just whine.

When I had those codes my turbo lasted 1000 miles before it began to whistle.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The P0011 and P0021 codes are the death codes for the turbo. That whistle/whine from the turbo is not good either, or does your turbo just whine.

When I had those codes my turbo lasted 1000 miles before it began to whistle.

It seemed to make the 250 mile trip home w/o much trouble, it feels strong. The turbo does whistle tho... It almost sounds like a vacuum leak. I don't think that it whines... I plan to pull the turbo and check it. PO says it was recently replaced, but who really knows why.

Welcome to the forum. I have read that a whistling noise can also be caused by a leaky Up Pipe, maybe check to see if the gaskets were replaced when the turbo was done?

The up-pipe was replaced, I believe. So that could be too...

Let's hope its just a boost leak like that.

It feels like it boosts well... would I necessarily notice the boost leak?

Congrats! He's a great guy from what I hear!

When you're ready to do some parts/tune shoot us a PM! Would love to help!

-Brian

Excellent!

Between those wheels, interior, and the transmission parts you should be pretty much OK dollar-wise even if the motor takes a dump and you have to part the whole car out!

Have fun and good luck :)

All the PO said was that it had an 'HD transmission'. He wasn't overly informative about it, or the car in general. The wheels will need refinished, PO hit a curb. Or maybe all the curbs.

Also just throwing this out there, if the original turbo failed I would remove and inspect the banjo bolt at the oil supply behind the turbo. They are notorious for clogging and starving the turbo of oil.

Won't hurt to check, and potentially could save you headaches down the road. Search the forums there are tons of threads that cover this topic.

Also just throwing this out there, if the original turbo failed I would remove and inspect the banjo bolt at the oil supply behind the turbo. They are notorious for clogging and starving the turbo of oil.

Won't hurt to check, and potentially could save you headaches down the road. Search the forums there are tons of threads that cover this topic.

PO said he recently replaced it, and that the howling noise started right after that. I assume there's still some sort of oiling issue as the 0011 & 0021 codes were set after the trip home.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Well - after going through this a few times... I would take those codes seriously and go through and inspect the turbo and try and find a shop that can smoke test the car for boost leaks.

I just put a new engine/turbo including replacing all oiling parts - and still blew the new turbo in 500 miles... Shop is now looking into it more - but belief is one of the previous blown turbos clogged up an oil galley in the heads....

Basically as you read through the posts here - the Legacy has a bigger issue with blown turbos taking out the block and heads and it's a crapshoot to just throw a new turbo on it and go - most of the time particles end up lodged somewhere in an oil passage or other oiling parts and the next turbo is starved of oil.

Well - after going through this a few times... I would take those codes seriously and go through and inspect the turbo and try and find a shop that can smoke test the car for boost leaks.

I just put a new engine/turbo including replacing all oiling parts - and still blew the new turbo in 500 miles... Shop is now looking into it more - but belief is one of the previous blown turbos clogged up an oil galley in the heads....

Basically as you read through the posts here - the Legacy has a bigger issue with blown turbos taking out the block and heads and it's a crapshoot to just throw a new turbo on it and go - most of the time particles end up lodged somewhere in an oil passage or other oiling parts and the next turbo is starved of oil.

I moonlight at a full-service shop. We've got a smoke machine we use for EVAP leak testing... Will that same machine expose boost leaks? I would assume, at least. Where would I hook the machine up to best test for a boost leak? I don't have much experience w/ turbo systems.

This obviously wouldn't resolve an oil blockage within the heads, but I could unhook an oil feed line to the turbo and verify oil pressure, correct? If pressure is up, no blockage in the heads.

Is it still advisable to replace the two OCV's? Seems like it. My plan is to drop the pan and check for metal, inspect the pickup, remove all banjo bolts, and remove/check the turbo for slop.

Boost leak test; pull the hose off the air filter box, plug that hose with a pint size paint can, pull the small hose off the blow off vavle. give tht hose a short blast of air from a compressor, put your thumb over the hose, listen for leaks.

You need to pull the banjo bolt on the back of the passenger side head and remove the filter from it, leave that filter out. Oh you have an 08 GT. those banjo's are up top. Your one of the very few to have these CEL's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Hey LGT,

My name is Patrick. I'm from upstate New York, and I just bought a Legacy GT you all surely recognize. It's a 2008 5MT, used to be owned by 'Pawloo'. It now has about 140k on it. I think I did alright on it, but it does have it's issues.

The body isn't perfect, it appears to have seen some sort of bodywork. It threw a few codes on the ride home (4 hrs). 0011, 0021, and 0420. From what I understand, 0011 & 0021 are codes for the OVC senders on either side of the motor. The PO claims that the turbo was replaced, so I assume these could potentially be the cause of the prior failed turbo. 0420 appears to be caused by the up-pipe.

I'm crossing my fingers that I can change the OVC senders, change the oil (check the pickup), and everything will be fine... It does make a funny whistle when under full boost, so I will be checking the prop shaft as well. All-in-all, if it's salvageable, I think I did alright on the car. Paid $5,500.

I'll get some more pictures this weekend, but this is all I have for now. Let me know what you guys think!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/mrpatman/08LegacyGT/12974357_10153952816905943_1728131789248827948_n%201_zpspgped1xg.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/mrpatman/08LegacyGT/12985395_10153953469175943_5027765038475319004_n%201_zps6ngkoiag.jpg

Drive ways goals. I'm hoping to pickup an LGT soon! :)

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Boost leak test; pull the hose off the air filter box, plug that hose with a pint size paint can, pull the small hose off the blow off vavle. give tht hose a short blast of air from a compressor, put your thumb over the hose, listen for leaks.

You need to pull the banjo bolt on the back of the passenger side head and remove the filter from it, leave that filter out. Oh you have an 08 GT. those banjo's are up top. Your one of the very few to have these CEL's.

Thanks for the details. I plan to tear into it to some extent this weekend.

Drive ways goals. I'm hoping to pickup an LGT soon! :)

That was actually a Dunkin Donuts in Glens Falls, NY - but both those cars sit next to each other in my driveway as well.... Hahaha. I receive some good commentary about it.

That was actually a Dunkin Donuts in Glens Falls, NY - but both those cars sit next to each other in my driveway as well.... Hahaha. I receive some good commentary about it.

I figured it wasn't your drive way but having both cars must be a special experience

I figured it wasn't your drive way but having both cars must be a special experience

Same color, same year. Didn't expect for it to work out that way, buy it's pretty neat. It's fun to see how similar they are, but how different at the same time.

I see your new here, there are a few of us that have more then one of these cars in the driveway.

;)

Dove in a little. The turbo is definitely missing a bolt... Could be the noise I hear. I got to one of the oil feed lines on the pass. side valve cover. No filter in it. Have to do some more research to find the other two.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/mrpatman/08LegacyGT/IMG_20160417_120530229_HDR_zpsnong6nxc.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/mrpatman/08LegacyGT/IMG_20160417_113350160_HDR_zpsp0ghu2wn.jpg

There is oil/residue at the base of the plastic intake manifold at all four corners. Not sure what that means exactly, bad manifold gasket?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/mrpatman/08LegacyGT/IMG_20160417_124409_zpsfzeck5xa.jpg

The air filter needs to be replaced or cleaned.

That missing bolt on the turbo could be an exhaust leak. easy fix.

the bracket for the stock heat shield is missing, that missing bolt and the other one hold the bracket.

Oil vapor at the bottom of the intake is just normal grit, I wouldn't be to concerned about it.

Try to see if the larger orange o-ring are between the plastic intake manifold and the TGV's. The stock black ones tend to leak when it get cold out.

08's don't have the same issue with banjo filters as the 05-06.

That's not a stock exhaust out the back of the car.

The air filter needs to be replaced or cleaned.

That missing bolt on the turbo could be an exhaust leak. easy fix.

the bracket for the stock heat shield is missing, that missing bolt and the other one hold the bracket.

Oil vapor at the bottom of the intake is just normal grit, I wouldn't be to concerned about it.

Try to see if the larger orange o-ring are between the plastic intake manifold and the TGV's. The stock black ones tend to leak when it get cold out.

08's don't have the same issue with banjo filters as the 05-06.

That's not a stock exhaust out the back of the car.

:whore:

There's a bunch of easy, low hanging fruit, in terms of maintenance: clean the intake, clean the MAF, add a bolt to the turbo/DP, check your intake mani gasket areas for blowby... and definitely get some sort of heat shield back on that turbo, ASAP. Right now it's just cooking the plastic underside of your TMIC.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Archived