LegacyGT.com

Dual HVAC Double Din Kit: Completed Install Thread

ksnh

This thread is for COMPLETED installations only of the JDM Dual HVAC Double Din Kit (see dwolson2's main thread HERE).

This is intended to be a clean, uncluttered reference for those who plan to install the kit. It is NOT for follow-up questions and comments, which should be addressed via PM or e-mail to the author of the post in question. He/she can then edit their post for clarification or content if necessary. Alternatively, you can post questions/comments to the original mega-thread via the link in the first paragraph.

My hope is that we will see at least one install here from every possible model year and audio/nav combination, so that the only task for those about to pull the trigger will be to find the post for their specific vehicle and read the content for parts needed and installation feedback.

To keep the scrolling exercise simple, please stick as closely as possible to the following format (cut/paste/overwrite outline if easier):

Car:

-2006 LGT 5EAT

Factory electronics:

-Standard radio, no sub

-No Nav

Parts used:

-JDM Twin HVAC Double Din adapter (JDM part #H6217AG911 from avoJDM Parts)

- SVX Dc parts (AE64.com)

(14 pin audio cable, i88 adapter)

- JDM Hazard Switch (JDM part #107-090-001 from Japanparts)

Comments (include make/model of your aftermarket head unit if any specific integration issues):

Humorous example: Set car on fire when turned on. Lost job (no car) and house (no job); wife and kids took off (no house).

Thanks!

-Kurt

Edited by ksnh

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let me get this straight...this mod actually made your car light up?

Epic...

Car:

-2006 LGT 5EAT

Factory electronics:

-Standard radio, no sub

-No Nav

Parts used:

-JDM Twin HVAC Double Din adapter (JDM part #H6217AG911 from avoJDM Parts)

- Jam in the back first one to do it harness...lol

- OEM Modded Hazard Switch

Comments (include make/model of your aftermarket head unit if any specific integration issues):

I am the godfather!!! Mua ha ha ha

Kenwood DDX710

12" drop down screen

Alpine 4 channel

Hifonics Brutus 2005D

No sub currently(the one I had separated from the surround after running it for 6-8 months)

Just installed this week, sorry the picture is terrible, hopefully I can get some better ones in the near future

Car:

-2005 LGT Wagon LTD 5MT

Factory electronics:

-Standard radio, factory sub under driver's seat

-No Nav

Parts used:

-JDM Dual HVAC Double Din adapter (JDM part #H6217AG911 from avoJDM Parts)

- SVX Dc parts (AE64.com)

(14 pin audio cable, i88 adapter)

- OEM Hazard Switch (See comments)

-Props to the godfather for making it all possible :)

-Kenwood DNX9960 with Sirius and iPod (Sirius box stuffed down the passenger side of the center stack and the iPod cable is run through one of the mounting bolt holes in the center console)

-I found the best place to mount the Nav and Sirius antenna was behind the cubby on the metal support bar the runs along the dash. I get a perfect signal and it's out of sight.

-Regarding the Hazard switch: It was my assumption that by cutting out the plastic behind the dash and rotating the switch, life would be all good. The problem is the US switch has 2 mounting points that are flush with each other. The JDM switch's 2 mounting points are not even so you need to make some modifications. I haven't finished fixing mine yet.

-The picture shows how the kit fits out of the box without modification

-Mike

IMG-20110110-00008.thumb.jpg.09751700a8860df4d33dc3b1c9a40442.jpg

Edited by UBSTANKN

Car:

2007 LGT Sedan 5eat

Factory electronics:

Standard radio, non navigation, no sub

Parts used:

JDM Twin HVAC Double Din adapter (JDM part #H6217AG911 from avoJDM Parts)

SVX I88 harness (blanking out if there was any others hahaha)

Audio equipment: Eclipse avn 5495 headunit, bluetooth adapter from parrot, back up camera from eclipse, audison bitone processor, focal krx3 3 way component set (partial active), audison lrx 400.1 x 2, audison lrx 250.2, audison lrx 300.4, image dynamics idmax 12 d4 v2 x 2... (work in progress, running the components and two amps with the bitone and headunit at the moment)

some reason i have a speed pulse wire issue, i've got it on the correct one under the dash but for some reason i get no signal from it. i'm not really sure why... however the unit still knows where i am and it averages out my speed where it works without it.

hazard switch i'd recommend getting the jdm one, using the state side one is a royal pain in the ass to get sitting correctly/smooth button push/holding in place on the screws. i'd highly suggest spending the money for less headache come install time.

everything is pretty much a piece of cake though, really the best thing i've done to my car that isn't go fast oriented.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/Seth1784/Audio%20Emporium/IMAG0089.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Car:

Subaru Legacy Spec B Twinscroll 2004 (Gen IV) Wagon imported into the UK in 2010

Factory Audio:

JDM Radio/CD & MD along with a Panasonic Sat Nav system

Parts used:

Subaru JDM Double DIN kit

Used Sony BT5000 Single DIN Head Unit (Bluetooth & iPod compatible)

Subaru single din cubby hole/pocket

Aerial Adaptor

ISO Wiring Adaptor to connect from the Sony to the Car loom

Install:

Very straighforward. Removed the JDM system and assembled the Double DIN kit. connected it up and all worked first time. I didn't bother with a new head unit as I had a seperate Sat Nav unit and felt that the Sony set up still had plenty of mileage in it having used it in my previous Legacy a BG5 GT Twin Turbo

Best regards,

David

1437234670_MyDashafter1.JPG.61e4b92c975fff214bd2418864f0b99f.JPG

1907093259_MyDash.jpg.8db3ce4eade9c4d921766729cc3f2943.jpg

1369378620_MyDashAfter.JPG.fcb8b2a339dd3de4fb0697cb2381f485.JPG

Edited by David_S_Walker

Hi,

Car: 2003 JDM Legacy BP5

Factory electronics:

• Standard single CD radio, no sub
  • Single Zone A/C (N.B. JDM car not USDM)
  • Nav (but doesn’t work here)

Parts used:

• JDM single zone A-C Silver AV Panel Set (Part #H6217AG902SC from Japanparts.com)
  • PC2-44-4 Subaru ISO Lead & PC2-36-0 Female to Bare End ISO Connection Adaptor
  • Alpine CDE-W203E (basic but just needed something decent that can receive a) local radio frequencies & b) playback MP3/WMA/AAC discs & USB flashdisk. Plan an upgrade in the near future)

Comments:

Install went extremely well & straight forward. Hazard switch fitted as standard & no need for the i88 harness since the factory one fits JDM kit without requiring any modifications or additions (therefore did not need SVXdc's i88 adapter harness). The stereo doesn't fit completely flash but satisfied as is :cool:

Humorous: Customs here stung me with 25% duty on the AV Panel set :mad:

IMG_3062.jpg.aef1cfc148e587dfd27c0e685420fc28.jpg

IMG_3226.jpg.48796c68ddbd056c7ba9841ab193eff0.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg.099b5171a2f1e5ac289b259576bdf953.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg.241719fab3cc66ee5725d241a4ef5380.jpg

IMG_3239.thumb.jpg.545483545bb1a816bf762478fedeae78.jpg

Edited by hp7909

• 2 weeks later...

my x-post from the main 100+ thread.

first post, figured i'd make it good.

lurked this thread for a couple weeks, got in touch with SVXdc and japanparts. couple weeks later and this is my end result... :) pretty happy with it!

day.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=99094&stc=1&d=1303274062

and night.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=99095&stc=1&d=1303274062

couple notes:

-used jdm hazard button

-12v relay to bypass parking lockout

-painted the panel around the shifter, but not the inner silver part. worked well. matte black paint matched really smooth

-laketown speed and sound helped me a lot to get the dash kit to fit with minimal gaps (still a small one on the right side, but it's minimal) THOSE GUYS ROCK!

-removing the horizontal locking position of the clips on the shifter bezel allows the shifter to sit in place without being shoved to the right from the climate control panel

-used axxess to hook up steering wheel controls (provided by SVXdc)

-used pioneer p4300dvd. has a nice dimming feature that turns down the brightness with headlights which is nice and it makes the audio from my ipod (and other sources i imagine) sound 10x better through the HK Speakers.

quick unrelated question, can anyone confirm if this would work on an '09 outback without modification?

http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_detail.php?submit.x=73&submit.y=10&NUMBER=00028561&VOLUME=107-116-010&DEALER=1&CAR=141&MIDDLE=2&SMALL=13&MAKER=5&VOLKEY=&SEARCH_DEALER=1&SEARCH_CAR=141&SEARCH_MIDDLE=2&SEARCH_SMALL=13&SEARCH_MAKER=&SEARCH_VOLKEY=&SEARCH_page=

^jdm dual console box? i read a bunch of threads on it, one person had to mod their EDM box a bit to get it to work, but the consensus seems to be the JDM box works with not modifications.

finally, last but not least, THANK YOU SVXdc!!!!

^seriously, if you are going to do this mod, go through that guy, he rocks!

Car: 2005 Outback XT

Head Unit: Pioneer AVIC Z120BT

Additional Gear: Sirius Sat Radio

Comments: The install was pretty straight forward. The bummer part was there was not enough room for the sirius modules behind the dash. I ended up having to put them under the driver seat.

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n402/citka4/Sound%20Deadening/DoubleDin.jpg

how much did our government rape you guys for the din to pass through customs?

Mine was $440 total and including the JDM hazard switch. But it was so worth it.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

What color paint did you used?

Car: 2005 Outback XT

Head Unit: Pioneer AVIC Z120BT

Additional Gear: Sirius Sat Radio

Comments: The install was pretty straight forward. The bummer part was there was not enough room for the sirius modules behind the dash. I ended up having to put them under the driver seat.

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n402/citka4/Sound%20Deadening/DoubleDin.jpg

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

2005 LGT LTD 5mt wagon

I just left mine black.

My HU is the no name $279 shipped ebay DVD, NAV, bluetooth, sd,USB, and TV Double din in dash.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/DSCN0069.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/DSCN0070.jpg

I have it connected to a 4x100w amp running 4 Pioneer 4-way 6.5" door speakers and 1 brigded mono amp running 1 10" sub.

Edited by itsme

Car:

2006 LegacyGT Limited Sedan

Factory electronics:

Standard radio, non navigation, 12" Sony Xplod Sub

Parts used:

JDM Twin HVAC Double Din adapter (JDM part #H6217AG911)

14-Pin Subaru Harness & i88 harness (from AE64.com)

Kenwood DDX812 Head Unit

Philips Screwdriver

Pry-tool (screwdriver)

I didn't want to drill or cut anything, so it looks like I will buy the JDM Hazard button and live with the teeny/uneven gaps beneath the JDM HVAC unit.

Wiring was easy enough to figure out - everything was color-coded (matched)!

Words of advice to the next guy - Take Your Time! I rushed and scratched a few parts of my car - shift knob, leather seats, face of stereo... :(

1617066246_2011-05-0615_00.05_Renton_Washington_US.thumb.jpg.af868c1e63c1624bc69ed8d6cd68f379.jpg

990743399_2011-05-0615_01.37_Renton_Washington_US.thumb.jpg.0a3f7b637e739b8dc278e00d3fe857e5.jpg

just purchased the face from jvo. I'm kinda retarded when it comes to wiring. which 14 pin do we want to purchase? i'm seeing 14 pin forward, reverse, and combined. my plan is a single din with the storage area underneath, and my sub and amp. thanks.

Look at this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-dual-hvac-double-din-jdm-kit-thread-113589.html

And then go to http://www.ae64.com and it lays out what harnesses you need.

So, I got to thinking about the fitment issues and was wondering if we could buy the sides and ashtray from japan to see if that would fix our issues? They may not fit, I was just wondering if someone had tried it?