LegacyGT.com

Redline Water Wetter in the Winter?

camber

Going to be flushing and changing the coolant this weekend. I was thinking of using that Redline Water Wetter additive instead of the Subaru conditioner . However, will Redline additive make it too hard for my car to come up to temp in the winter?

Anyone with experience with this product and the winter?

From what I've seen, the Subaru conditioner is required for the gaskets (mainly the head gasket). You can add Water Wetter in addition to the Conditioner and anti-freeze/water mixture. I run it year round in Indiana winters with no problem. The thermostat is what makes the engine warm up quickly and Water Wetter has only a little effect with a 50/50 mixture.

Good to hear....

I'm just skeptical that the conditioner does anything other then delay possible issues. From my other thread "possible solution to HG problems" it seems that one area of the engine gets hot and boils the coolant which cause insufficient cooling in that area. This causes the heads to warp.

From what I understand Water Wetter breaks the surface tension of these boiling bubbles and makes coolant have more contact with hot surfaces.

Archived