LegacyGT.com

Deep rumble when coasting in gear

hey all. Taking my 2006 Legacy GT Spec B in for service, just wondering what you all think about this. I get a rumble noise when Im coasting, in gear. Any gear but its louder in lower gears at higher RPM like the 2500-3500 range. The higher RPM the louder the rumble but ONLY when I am coasting in gear with foot off the peddle, as soon as I hit the peddle it goes away, or if I slow down belows 2000 RPM. Im sure its still there but I just cant hear it. Does this ring a bell for anyone about what it could be? Hard to describe the sound but to me it sounds like what an 18 wheeler sounds like when it down shifts. I think its comming from the driver side front left but Im not positive. Thanks!

No. I could upshift to 3rd gear, give it some gas to get to over 2500 RPM or so, let go of the gas and just coast and then I can hear it. or I could downshift, let off the gas and I hear it. Only when I am coasting. Everything feels fine. It shifts fine. Power is fine. Other than this strange sound, I would never think anything was wrong with my baby.

Living Legacy... did you ever get it checked out or did it go away? Was it imtermitent? I can make that noise happen whenever I want. And like you, it is most noticible in 1st, 2nd gear at higher RPM but in higher gears I think its still making a noise, just not so loud.

It was intermitent. I mentioned it to Subaru (of course they found nothing), and it did end up going away.

I never noticed it below 2K and only noticed it in 1st and 2nd. The noise was deffinetly from the front end, but I didn't notice a bias towards one side or the other.

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly unbalanced flywheel can cause that. Not good for the bearings in the long run but since it was only noticeable when coasting it had to be a minor case.

But keep any receipts/data from that just in case there is a later issue.

453747.png

Yeshia, I had that exact same problem, but I would not have guessed it to be a flywheel. My sound did go away the very day I wanted to take it in to the dealer. Figures, right?! Anyway, to me it sounded like an exhaust leak created by the engine braking, but I couldn't narrow it down before it went away. And it only happened when the car was cold, but once it was up to temp for about 20 minutes, it went away. Very strange.

Dave

Archived