LegacyGT.com

Camshaft Sensor Leak?

I'm asking because I'm smoke / boost leak testing the car and I'm getting NOTHING from the smoke test, but when I pressurize the system I'm getting some bubbling at that sensor, almost like it has a bad gasket there or something similar

Are you hearing bubbling or seeing bubbling. If only hearing, then it's possibly just the oil in that area bubbling. If you're seeing it, then it's likely that you also have an oil leak there too. Seems like there should be a gasket or an oil ring that you can replace if that's the case.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Moderators
Are you hearing bubbling or seeing bubbling. If only hearing, then it's possibly just the oil in that area bubbling. If you're seeing it, then it's likely that you also have an oil leak there too. Seems like there should be a gasket or an oil ring that you can replace if that's the case.

Pretty sure it was visible. It's pretty tight in there, but I think I'll try to remove the sensor tonight and see if there isn't an o-ring or something on there, kind of guessing it's just at the end of its life.

*hopefully* I can get in there enough to remove it--tight quarters.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Be care of your coolant tank if you move it. Those nipples get really fragile and crack or snap off. No fun after that.

• Moderators
Be care of your coolant tank if you move it. Those nipples get really fragile and crack or snap off. No fun after that.

Roger that. I'm hoping that doesn't need to come out. If it does then this will probably just get added to the "while the motor is out" list.

Did you ever find a part number for a metal STi tank that would fit?

Ordered two new cam sensors since the motor will be out anyway, might as well replace them.

Let us know what you did to fix the leak.

• Moderators

Well, took a look at it this evening--I don't think it's really feasible to remove the sensor without moving a number of other things around. Beyond that, I can see the tell-tale "pile of grime" that typically seems to follow existing oil leaks. There a mass of grime around the sensor so it seems that has been happening for a minute and is not a newly developed issue.

That said, I think this will just get added to the "while the motor is out" list and I'm going to write it off as a potential fuel trim culprit for now.

• 4 years later...

Major bump:

This will be the second time I am removing the Passenger side camshaft sensor because of my motor pissing oil. Pool of oil sitting ontop of the block beneath it.

Anyone know the dimensions of the gasket that seals the sensor? I am betting that is what is broken ( again )

Local dealership said the gasket only comes with the sensor, I luld and said have a nice day

Edit: Looks like a standard o-ring

Edit: I answered my own question lmao I am a dumbass

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/O-RING-CAMSHAFT-SENSOR/49231756/22445KA000.html

Edited by Volta55