LegacyGT.com

Legroom revisited...

Well, I was totally prepared to buy a LGT until I realized how short the passenger side is on legroom. My wife is a hair under 6' and for long trips, I'm worried the car won't be comfortable. I'm 6'3" and even the driver side isn't super roomy, but doable. I got a good price lined up from the dealer on a '06, silver, manual like I requested, and now I'm questioning the deal.

Any tall peoples here taken long trips in the LGT and been uncomfortable? I'm just trying to decide if this is a concession I'm willing to make.

Rant off.

I haven't taken a long trip in my LGT yet (I don't even pick it up till tomorrow), but FWIW LGT's feel like they have comparable leg room to my last car and it was fine for 3-6 hour trips. I'm 6'2" and I rode shotgun in it for several hours at a time when I traded off driving with friends. The passenger footwell is definately shorter than the driver's, but then that's the case in every car I've been in long enough to notice. IIRC the Legacy's seats go pretty far back on their tracks too, so for two people I think you'll be fine. Just don't expect as much room as in a Camry, Altima, etc - the Legacy is much closer in size to a compact than to a midsize. If you two don't feel like you have much room to spare on long trips in those cars then you should pass on the Legacy.

In fact, my biggest complaint with the passenger's side is the seat itself - I could not get comfortable in it at the dealer, and I've heard the same from other folks when they tried out other 05/06 Legacies/Outbacks. I find most cars' passenger seats to be less comfortable than their drivers' seats just because they usually have less adjustments, but the Legacy's is an extreme example for me. I'm hoping I don't get too many complaints ;) If I do I'll probably look into getting the seat partially reupholstered, or maybe even getting a driver's side seat and swapping the controls to the right side if that's practical.

I am 6'4 and i have taken drives over 4 hours straight. Compared to the altima the drivers seat is a lot more cramped. But once you find a good driving position its pretty comfy. Yes there are more roomy cars but the LGT is not that bad. You will find that the car fits like a glove once you find a good position and you get used to it. I drove an suv before this and i haven't complained about the front legroom thus far. Plus the LGT is just fun to drive!

Thanks for the replies. It's good to hear from some taller guys. The world just isn't made for us. And it's good to hear that you can get comfy once you find the right position. It's hard to really know when you're only test driving a car. Too many other distractions (how does it accelerate, brake, handle...does the salesguy think I'm revving too high, etc.).

Well, I'll probably decide tomorrow after going back to the dealer. They don't have the car I want, they would swap another dealer for it. And that would put about 70 miles on the car. But it's for a good price ($500 below invoice). We'll see. Thanks again for the insight. Other experiences welcome.

I’m 6’5. With no sunroof, I’ve got plenty of headroom. I don’t mind having my legs bent, but I want to be able to sit up strait. It all depends on how much room you need to feel comfortable.

I could buy something big and comfy, but it wouldn’t perform like the legacy. I’ll probably buy some buick eventually, but I’m not there yet.

My wife is a hair under 6' and for long trips, I'm worried the car won't be comfortable.

I'm not a tall guy, but I do clock in at 5'11".

It sounds as if your wife and I are nearly the same height.

With that being said, I have been able to do 5+ hours without feeling uncomfortable in the passenger seat of my own LGT.

-Jim

Sometimes being of average height is an advantage. :lol:

I haven't been in the passenger seat longer than an hour and a half, but 17 hours in the driver seat with no discomfort!

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

It's hard to really know when you're only test driving a car. Too many other distractions (how does it accelerate, brake, handle...does the salesguy think I'm revving too high, etc.).

When you go back to the dealer pick any LGT LTD either in the lot or the showroom and just sit in both front seats for a bit. Play with the seat adjustments and see how comfortable you can get. Make sure you stay comfortable for more than 30 seconds once you do find a good position. If the salesman bothers you tell him to bugger off :)

Two things that I notice tho are that the front of the seat bottom does not extend forward or up enough leaving little in the way of thigh support at my knees

Unfortunately it's a rare car that has even just halfway decent thigh support for people our height. For thigh support the Legacy is average at best for its size. Good thigh support would make the seats off-limits for short people without making the seat cushion length adjustable, and that doesn't seem to fit in most carmaker's budgets.

I don’t mind having my legs bent, but I want to be able to sit up strait. It all depends on how much room you need to feel comfortable.

That's a very good point - are you and your wife comfortable in cars with your legs splayed? If so you should be fine in the Legacy so long as you like the seats. If you're not comfortable without being able to keep your legs straight then you'll need a (much) bigger car.

I'm not a tall guy, but I do clock in at 5'11".

It sounds as if your wife and I are nearly the same height.

With that being said, I have been able to do 5+ hours without feeling uncomfortable in the passenger seat of my own LGT.

-Jim

+1 Just recline a bit. I find the passenger seat smaller than my tastes...but then again...it is easy to find a comfortable position. By moving the seat backwards and_or reclining...I have more space than I need.

My wife is 5' 11" with a 36 inch inseam and she HATES the passenger seat in my OBXT. We've done several ski trips (2.5 hours each way) and it hasn't killed her yet, but there is not enough room for her to get comfortable. Her thighs can't rest flat on the seat because there is not enough room for her feet to extend all the way.

I wish there was a way to make the seat go back a little further when there are no passengers in the back seat...

6' 2" here wife is 5'9". I have heard the legroom comments before but I don't see the problem. The LGT has more than engough leg room for me on either side of the car. I think it depends on your driving position. Just did a 600 mile weekend and was very comfy the whole way.

Fine for me and the wife as well. 6'2" and 5'11". the footwell is odd, but not uncomfortable, imo.

I would take one for an overnight test drive. if they have a demo they shouldn't mind you putting a couple hundred miles on it. hell, I put 60 miles or so on a non demo a couple days before I purchased and he knew I wasn't going to take that one because it was a sedan.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad to hear you guys are making the LGT work. As an aside, is the OBXT the same in terms of legroom on both sides? It felt the same on the driver's side; didn't sit in the passenger's side.

How about pedals and footroom? You guys have trouble shifting the manuals in the OB and Legacy? Once I was driving the car, the space issue completely disappeared. I didn't think about legroom once. But again, I was a little distracted. ;)

I'm coming from a crew cab full size pickup and a Mercedez 300 wagon, so legroom has always been abundant. I'll spend some more time in one today and make the decision.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments!

not all of us. I'm 6'8", and also fit in nothing. I specifically went for the non-limited wagon, because the sunroof cuts into the headroom too much.

I'd like to move the drivers seat back another 2-3", and drop it 2" - but have not figured out how to do that.

my 5'7" wife is fine, but I'm starting to hear grumping from my 12-yr old daughter who is consigned to the back seat - she is already 5'8" - luckily, my wife can comfortably pull the pass. seat forward and give the back seater a bit more room.

Someone else commented here that the Camry is more roomy...this is definitely true! It is wider by a small margin but it is enough to really feel the difference. As far as leg room it is smaller there as well. But a big factor is that you can not put your feet under the rear of the front seats; There isn't enough clearance....at least not with shoes on.

This really makes a difference in comfort for the back seat passengers.

This is to bad, the car is really close to my Wife's Camry in dimensions...but the size is lost to the passengers. The rear hatch isn't really any bigger either.

Oh well....to bad the Camry is so darned boreing.

The space thing is probably the most dissatisfying aspect of the car...#2 is the radio situation...and #3 - the HVAC....

06 Legacy 2.5i SE sedan: driver seat (8 way power)is good, just a bit hard, passenger seat is too hard and a bit cramped for legspace, but doable. Back seat sucks: legroom is ok but seats are very hard and uncomfortable. That is the verdict of my three young-adult daughters who had to suffer in it for a 500 mile trip. No one is over 5'9. I think the seating is my biggest (really, only) disappointment with the car. If Toyota can do it (they've had great seats for decades) why can't Subaru?

Well, I was totally prepared to buy a LGT until I realized how short the passenger side is on legroom. My wife is a hair under 6' and for long trips, I'm worried the car won't be comfortable. I'm 6'3" and even the driver side isn't super roomy, but doable. I got a good price lined up from the dealer on a '06, silver, manual like I requested, and now I'm questioning the deal.

Any tall peoples here taken long trips in the LGT and been uncomfortable? I'm just trying to decide if this is a concession I'm willing to make.

Rant off.

I'm 6'3" and find the car to be very comfortable (but firm).

Also, I've been riding in the passenger seat frequently since this my wife's set of wheels (technically :icon_lol: ). I don't have a problem getting comfortable there, although since we aren't doing our first trip in the car until the end of April I can't speak to any rides longer than 1/2 hour or so.

Best of luck with your decision - I'm a fanatic about cars, probably a little too obsessed with performance, and for the money I there is nothing even close if performance, handling, and a reasonable degree of comfort are what you're after.

Fav site: http://crunchycon.nationalreview.com

Gone but not forgotten:

'00 Porsche Carrera

'88 Porsche 928S4 5sp

Forgotten:

'04 VW R32

'01 BMW M3

6'7" 38" inseam. I've taken trips up to 3 hours in the car with no ill effects. No opportunity for a real long trip yet.

passenger side seating is motsly about foot room rather than leg room IMO. SO unless she has real big feet, it shouldn't be too bad.

Front passenger seat legroom is the worst I have seen in just about any car. Any compact I have owned or been in had better front seat legroom.

My LGT is the non-LTD, so no 8-way adj seats. If the passenger seat could be adjusted up at the front that would make it feel a bit more roomy.

I am 6 feet with long legs and like the drivers positioning. I like my drivers seat up a couple of notches from the back, but the passenger seat just sucks if you are tall.

Better cars for front seat passenger leg room:

Honda civic

Mazda 3

Mazda Protege

Mazda 323

Geo Metro

Toyota Corolla

Toyota Echo

I think you get the idea.

If your wife is under 6 feet she might be OK, have to check it out and see. If her legs can go straight ahead and sit flat on the sit I think you are good.

Hope it works for you becasue nothing else touches an LGT for the price!

Rant off.

6"1" No problems with legroom for me, however my wife isn't as tall as yours and since I rarely ride in the passenger seat, can't comment on that.

Well, I went ahead and did it. I went and drove another 5spd and figured for the money and performance, I'm willing to make a concession or two. ;)

Thanks for the positive words!

Archived