Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

I recently Sold my legacy and have some items from my carputer project.

I have a info Display relocation kit. Part#H0017AG931. which moves the clock to were the ash tray is. Same as this one http://www.avojdm.com/product_info.php?products_id=107&osCsid=414b36ee30b5e4f2735e5f01d0bc7e63

I also have Vent dash piece i modified to put a screen in. Which is great if you are thinking of starting a screen project.

Let me know if you are interested.

You should post this in member classifieds with pictures and prices.

Winning the internet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone used this screen? http://store.mp3car.com/Xenarc_705TSV_7_TFT_LCD_Touchscreen_Monitor_p/mon-053.htm

If not what do you guys think about that screen?

Pretty sure other people have used that screen. And even if not, it looks like it'd work perfect. Shouldnt have any problems with it. Good luck!

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I just dropped a cheap nettop into to my car, and looking for a touch screen.

Not asking for models and such but, wanted to ask about options.

Does transflective make a huge difference ? , same with optical bonding.

http://www.mo-co-so.com/7-Transflective-Optically-Bonded-Lilliput-669GL-p/mcs-lil-669-tfe-3.htm

vs

http://www.mo-co-so.com/Lilliput-669GL-70NP-C-T-7-Touch-Screen-Monitor-p/mcs-lil-669.htm

is like $400 dollars difference for the same model.

Just wondering if its worth the upgrade/money for the better visibility.

thanks

^ short answer:

Transflective works in the sun.

Lots of times my screen is useless during the day because of the sun.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I read a review of a non-bonded screen and it didn't sound good... MoCoSo's bonded transflective screen is on my to-do list, I read a good review of it at MP3Car.com.

http://store.mp3car.com/Mimo_720_F_Flex_Screen_USB_Powered_7_Touch_Screen_p/mon-115.htm

Anyone seen this yet? Pretty cool that all you need to do is plug in a usb cord. I wonder how well it works.

Nice and cheap... Not saying it wouldnt work, but considering it all goes through USB, I would think that there might be some lag time/delay. Thats a lot of info to be pushing through USB and processing a touch interface at the same time. But hey, technology has come a long way.

So looks like my CarPC died. Honestly not sure what's going on with it.

I have an Artigo Kit (Pico-ITX) -- and the computer will get power (lights turn on, fan goes, etc) -- but the computer just doesn't start.

Even if it's the RAM or HDD, I should still get to BIOS. It's almost as if the Mobo is toast. :(

^ I can only do the RAM, I haven't tried it yet. Will do it later.

It's a Pico board, so everything is integrated except the RAM:

http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/pico-itx/images/pico-itx-0008m.jpg

http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/pico-itx/images/pico-itx-0007m.jpg

Ah, yeah, could be ram, probably something pre-post, if there is some way to hook up a speaker, or it has one onboard you can enable, that'll probably tell you whats up (with the beeps)

Winning the internet

Nice and cheap... Not saying it wouldnt work, but considering it all goes through USB, I would think that there might be some lag time/delay. Thats a lot of info to be pushing through USB and processing a touch interface at the same time. But hey, technology has come a long way.

You are absolutely correct on this, however if you don't attempt to push beyond the native resolution (IE mirroring display with a built in panel) you *should* be ok. Video over usb 2.0 is a bit of a struggle because of the nature of a serial connection. Basically each device gets a "turn" at using the bus, and afaik there is no throttling for each device. This means adding any [active] device to the usb bus results in another division of available cycles, reducing the total number of cycles per second allowed to each device.

Has anyone seen 2D FPS benchmarks of this unit?

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

I just dropped a cheap nettop into to my car, and looking for a touch screen.

Not asking for models and such but, wanted to ask about options.

Does transflective make a huge difference ? , same with optical bonding.

http://www.mo-co-so.com/7-Transflective-Optically-Bonded-Lilliput-669GL-p/mcs-lil-669-tfe-3.htm

vs

http://www.mo-co-so.com/Lilliput-669GL-70NP-C-T-7-Touch-Screen-Monitor-p/mcs-lil-669.htm

is like $400 dollars difference for the same model.

Just wondering if its worth the upgrade/money for the better visibility.

thanks

I went with a cheap Lilliput 7" to start with just to see if I wanted to "commit". While it is quite usable in most situations, if the sun is at my back and low in the sky, it's pretty much useless.

I would not buy another screen for car installation unless it were transflective, but I am not in a hurry to replace the one I have. If I were moving from Chicago back to Arizona, SoCal, Vegas etc I would probably replace it then. Not sure if that helps :)

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

Ah, yeah, could be ram, probably something pre-post, if there is some way to hook up a speaker, or it has one onboard you can enable, that'll probably tell you whats up (with the beeps)

I don't get any beeps. I haven't tried pulling the RAM out yet. I'll try tomorrow.

I'm thinking it's the Mobo or CPU :(

Damn...my baby thread is at page 92 ? I have not kept up with it in the past year - but then again, it is mostly for the GTs of old, when Navi was not available or available in only certain trims. Cause to be honest, I would not put in a CarPC again. Too much work.

Damn...my baby thread is at page 92 ? I have not kept up with it in the past year - but then again, it is mostly for the GTs of old, when Navi was not available or available in only certain trims. Cause to be honest, I would not put in a CarPC again. Too much work.

I have to agree with you there. My wife just got a new Lexus and honestly, the Nav/bluetooth/music/etc is much nicer and better integrated than my CarPC solution. For my next car I will be looking for a totally integrated system rather than a CarPC setup. The technology/availability has become much more accepted in recent years. For our 05-09's though, CarPC was/is king.

Don't get me wrong. I love the concept and the uniqueness and flexibility of it. And while I was not a pioneer, I was an early user. The market came a long way from modded laptops. Still - you never get the factory integration and frankly I would rather pay 100 a year in map upgrades and 1500 dollars upfront for OEM navi THAN spend 3-4 hours remote-logging into my CarPC and performing maintenance and 1000 dollars on equipment that I have to install and configure myself followed by another 500 dollars in hidden costs over the years.

And the reason I have not been in here is because I solved the software kinks and now I just am afraid to touch it. All I did was replace some wires on the PSU back last year and that was it. Half a day's worth of soldering but I am done tinkering with it till there is a new update from Intellinav / iGuidance. And I am still on Centrafuse 1.47.

I went with the cheap one as well, 7" 1080p, LED LCD, under 170 shipped is pretty good to start. I did not get the touch screen, I have heard some good results from people doing the capacitive TS mod. The screen overlay is glass like vs hazy film of the resistive. This alone with good angle during install should make for usable TS even in mild sun. Its start, and I didn't want to ruin a ~600 LCD on my first attempt at capacitive.

Rest of the build is super simple; used netbook + win7 + centrafuse + GMPC. No special power supply or on/off mod. Win7 sleep mode is awesome for this in the power management tab. Netbook when powered is on, when ignition is off, no power, reverts to battery. Battery mode set to sleep mode after 5 minutes. Capacitive TS is driven by USB HID drivers so it can be set to wake netbook from sleep. So i just tap the TS few times, and its back up in no time.

I went with a cheap Lilliput 7" to start with just to see if I wanted to "commit". While it is quite usable in most situations, if the sun is at my back and low in the sky, it's pretty much useless.

I would not buy another screen for car installation unless it were transflective, but I am not in a hurry to replace the one I have. If I were moving from Chicago back to Arizona, SoCal, Vegas etc I would probably replace it then. Not sure if that helps :)

I agree with you guys. My next car will definitely have an integrated solution.

I really enjoy my PC, even though I mainly use it for Navi, Music, Traffic, and a few other small things..... WHEN ITS WORKING.

Mine has been very frustrating. There have been stretches when it refused to start up right away. Times when the wireless sync (for music) just wouldn't work at all. Other times it would start syncing random songs for no reason! The location of it (under the stock radio) is also causing reception problems with the radio in my area.

And now, it just stops working. It's probably completely dead after only two years. I'm planning on keeping my car for a WHILE, so I will probably replace the system -- maybe locate it differently. I'm just dreading it. I've put so much effort into trouble shooting problems than actually enjoying the damn thing.

Nemo, it will most likely go easier 2nd time around. New technology come a long way, making things smaller, use lesser power, quicker boot up, etc....

Having done it once, you already know all the ins and outs doing the install.

Good luck though