LegacyGT.com

Ignition or starter???

radzio

Hello everyone,

Recently I noticed that when i put the key into ignition and turn it to start the car it does not do anything,

after trying for few times it finally clicks and starts the engine.

The battery is fine, the lights do come on after turning the key, the starter would be cranky noise before

going dead, could it be that the ignition system/resistor is going dead?

Clean all grounds, and the terminals on the battery and on the starter.

My car would do this when the temperature would change from warm to cold quickly, or when it was damp.

Don't go replacing the starter right away, the rebuilt ones are pieces of shit, and you'll be replacing it again in another 10k miles.

I've had similar problems with other vehicles. It could be a dead spot on the starter or a starter relay. If you hear a click when you turn the key it's the starter (Probably a dead spot). If you don't hear a click it could be either the starter relay or the solenoid, but proably not the solenoid. It was easier for me to check my relay on the vehicle with the relay issue, because it was a diesel pickup. All I did was pull the relay and use a piece of wire to make the connection manually. When the connection was made the engine turned over. It's not going to be as easy on your car...

Archived