LegacyGT.com

The Stumble/Stutter Thread

eightballrj

TYPE OF STUTTER/STUMBLE

Steady throttle/Increasing throttle/Both: steady/increasing 1/2+ throttle only between 2k-3k rpm, mostly noticable at tip-in and around 2200-2800

MODS

Intake: stock with k&n drop in

Exhaust: cnt catless dp, invidia catless up, stock header/crossover/cbe

Fuel: stock

Turbo: stock

Engine Management: stock

Tuner and revision of tune(if you don't mind): cobb ap base stg 2 93 oct map

MAINTENANCE

Sensors changed: none

Plugs changed: less than 1000 miles and less than 2 wks ago

Coil Packs changed: no

OTHER SYMPTOMS

Check Engine Light: no

Etc: knock count seems high at 25-40 in 1.5hrs in 45-50mile commute from dc to central md, but unsure if of concern after browsing cobbs site in technical/faq sections.

RESULTS

What has and hasn't worked for you: nothing atm

If something worked, how long has it been working for: n/asuggestions? new thread? section to be searching? was wondering if there was a base tune that cobb or vendor had to possibly remedy issue. isnt acting like a plug/coil issue. didnt make a difference between 91/93 stg 2 maps. stumble/hesitate/flat spot less severe with the oem tune/map in it, yet it did it throughout entire powerband. on a 06 lgt mt with 90k. no issues prior to any of these mods. all mods done at once within the last month while it was down for 4-5wks for mods/maintenance and clutch.

TYPE OF STUTTER/STUMBLE

Steady throttle/Increasing throttle/Both: steady, at idle, sometimes while falling back to idle.

MODS

Intake: K&N stock.

Exhaust: stock

Fuel: 93oct

Turbo: stock

Engine Management: cobb ap, fuel saver map, but noticed with performance as well

Tuner and revision of tune(if you don't mind):

MAINTENANCE

Sensors changed: gutted STI uppipe /w bung welded closed and resistor.

Plugs changed: all

Coil Packs changed: switched around, no problems found.

OTHER SYMPTOMS

Check Engine Light: CEL with misfire on CYL4

Etc: Studder only when AC is on and at idle.

RESULTS

What has and hasn't worked for you: plugs, oil, filter, MAF cleaning

If something worked, how long has it been working for: reflash (temporary or permanent)

Noticed this much more after installing new clutch and slighly lighter FW.

Winning the internet

Sounds like yours could just be knock. Have you logged at all? Knock count is only useful when you are logging it alongside rpm, load, etc.

yea have 4 datalog files. need to adj which parameters are crucial to log/watch and which i can ignore to lessen the file size. im thinking its something tune/timing related.

**do base maps exist or have they been made for an LGT equipped with catless up/dp? jw. still datalogging. thinking maybe a boost creep/spike issue but not due to boost levels but in the concept of the undivorced bellmouth of the cnt dp on a stock turbo/engine. pending map availabilty im tempted to reinstall oem two piece dp and retest/re-datalog.

Edited by prodrifterx

• 3 weeks later...

TYPE OF STUTTER/STUMBLE

Steady throttle/Increasing throttle/Both: Steady, light throttle; around 2000-2500 RPM

MODS

Intake: None

Exhaust: None

Fuel: 93

Turbo: Stock

Engine Management: Cobb AP Stage 1

Tuner and revision of tune(if you don't mind):

MAINTENANCE

Sensors changed: None

Plugs changed: ~36k miles ago, according to what I was told

Coil Packs changed: No

OTHER SYMPTOMS

Check Engine Light: No

Etc: Intermittent slight hesitation when transitioning from deceleration or light throttle to part-throttle.

RESULTS

What has and hasn't worked for you: I haven't tried anything yet as I don't wan to just throw darts to try to fix the problem. I've been logging and analyzing different sensor data sets trying to find something anomalous but I haven't found anything obvious. I loaded the Stage 1 as soon as I got the car but, I don't remember or didn't notice the surging on the test drive(s).

If something worked, how long has it been working for: n/a

Edited by BlackWagon GT

• 2 weeks later...
So interestingly the stumble is back, Watched tonight with AC on while idling it would bounce down to about 500 RPM's then jump back up to 1500-1700 then dump back down into the low RPM range. This was totally out of the blue.

Winning the internet

yeah no code at all. What I did was start the car (it was already warmed up), back out of a space, quick bit of power then shift to neutral and brake (waiting for the wife). at that point no pedal input just stand on the brake and watched it bounce wildly for a second or two then it went right back to normal.

Winning the internet

I think the "bouncing" was just an effect of the ECM trying to keep the car from stalling out as the RPM's dropped to critical levels. So really it was bounce up, then fall back down to stall, the back up again.

Winning the internet

• 3 weeks later...
I cleaned my MAF sensor this weekend and my stumble went away completely. We'll see how long it lasts, but it was dirty because the previous owner installed a K&N and I haven't changed back to a paper filter yet.