LegacyGT.com

COBB TURBO Heat shield

ivtec

Just found out my annoying rattle is coming from the heat shields. I have the one from cobb which covers the turbo with my Cobb CBE and DP setup. Problem is it was made with 3 bolts but there is no way to put more than 2 on it. Anyone know what kind of fix i can do to make it stop sounding like my exhaust is hanging?

Also, is it ok to go with no heat shields at all? Would there be too much heat in the engine bay? Anyone have no turbo heat shields?

I just put the Cobb heatshield on my car 2 weeks ago. I got 3 bolts in it. The top and back side bolts are on the same bracket and the lower front bolt goes into that little bracket just off the UP. Which bolt are you missing?

It is not a good idea to go without the heatshield since your intercooler is right above the turbo and DP.

Let's kick this pig!

cobb redesigned the heat shield because the older design was off and caused a horrible rattle and fitment problems. i called them and they did a warranty exchange on it. i'm sure that's the problem with yours.

cobb redesigned the heat shield because the older design was off and caused a horrible rattle and fitment problems. i called them and they did a warranty exchange on it. i'm sure that's the problem with yours.

Yea I had the same problem, called Cobb and they replaced mine under warranty.

Only problem is I just put the new one on and it is rattleing as well.

I may be just trying to get my money back from cobb.

I had cut the factory one and it works perfect other than the looks.

No rattles here mines been on for a few weeks. It rattled once and I just tightened all the bolts down real tight those stock bolts look like they could use an upgrade too.Mine are all corroded and hard to turn. I'm thinking next time I'm in checking DP bolt that I'll use lock washers and new bolts on the heatshield . Mine clears everything fine, it's close on the WGA link but it clears.
Let's kick this pig!

when i had the original design on, i modified the mounting point so i could secure all 3 bolts. i couldn't exorcise the rattling, though. i think it was the wastegate actuator coming into contact with the shield. it was an awful, woodpecker like sound.

Took mine off today and found the rattle. On the inside edge it rubs on the transmision ribs. Tried to move it up. We will see. I have all three bolts in no problem.

This new one I recieved is better than the old though. It doesnt rub the actuator valve at all.

ok...my car had been rattling louder and louder over the last week. it got worst when i tried to adjust it by hand couple days ago. i contacted Cobb about 2 weeks ago after reading a post about the new design. I explained my problem and they sent me a new Heat shield. I swapped mine out today and voila..the problem is fixed. It was rubbing on two spots on the inside and 1 on the outside of the shield. Drove me nuts for weeks! Hopefully this one stays quiet for the long haul.

• 9 months later...

I had the stage 2 bits installed a few weeks ago and I believe I have a rattle coming from the cobb hs. It is only a slight rattle, usually around 2300 and 2700 RPM when piddling around, yet annoying. I just haven't had the time to root cause it yet.

I bought the hs used. I have access to a machine shop at work, so if I need to increase the slots or space it out further, that is no problem.

Can anybody confirm some easy fixes? If none of that works, I guess cut the stocker.

• 2 months later...
Took mine off today and found the rattle. On the inside edge it rubs on the transmision ribs. Tried to move it up. We will see. I have all three bolts in no problem.

This new one I recieved is better than the old though. It doesnt rub the actuator valve at all.

bingo! i took mine off and just bent it a little bit problem solved.

• 2 months later...
funny you should say that, I actually heard my rattling a little today, so I need to double check the bolts.. anyone else have it rattling with all 3 bolts in?

YES..big time. Funny thing...I just posted in another thread...I bot my shiled from another memeber and it could be the old design which rubs/rattles. Anyone know how I tell?

BTW, i had a shop install it back in March and it just started rattling. Unreal!

Rehab is for quitters.

If you are standing on the passenger side of your car facing the turbo, lean over and look at the far side of the heat shield closest to the middle of the car. Mine was rubbing on one of the transmission ribs right there and so Cobb cut a notch in one and mailed it to me to fix the problem. Hope this helps

Archived