LegacyGT.com

Oil change...to uh-oh

Good Morning all!

Went to autozone this morning to pick up an oil filter for my oil change this afternoon. Got the car up on ramps when I got home. Crawled underneath to get started and noticed something ugly. Found some gray/dark green fluid on my uppipe...I thought it was oil, but I can't really tell. Any help on this and where it might be coming from?

This is all on my up pipe, it's splattered, and looks like it's from this morning to be honest.

1418785892_ONLINEPOST.jpg.9d5c10d3a3cfa35bf298447a77ef9d96.jpg

• I Donated Too
Yep that's CV grease. You can get a repair kit for that OEM axle or you can replace the whole thing. I got the boot repair kit from Subaru and it worked out very well but you need to be sure you don't have any damage from dirt getting in but it looks to me like yours hasn't been broken open too long.

Thanks for all the help. I'm an idiot and just got scared too fast. But yes, went and picked up a new CV axle after seeing the posts about nightmare rebuilds. I guess I'll be putting it in this weekend! Thanks again

Where did you buy your axle and did you get brand new or remanufactured?

Well I think the boot had literally split that morning. The grease was really fresh and not all that dirty yet. Probably why I didn't have any smell. I got a brand new one instead of a re-manufactured. I got a new one from Autozone since I wanted to do it that morning. I was doing some research on here and it sounds like these things are basically all the same quality regardless of brand and whatnot. Pretty much every brand I found had at least one or two bad reviews....All around the same price too. Threw it on and it's been quiet and working well. I suppose I'll update if something goes wrong!

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE: I'm stuck....Got the entire assembly out fairly easily after following the instructions on this website...Didn't think it would b a problem as I've done several on my roomate's Honda. Anyways, we went to re-install the new assembly, and I can't do it. I get it all the way into the vehicle. It seems to get "stuck" about 2/3's of the way in. I've watched several videos and re read the write up, but no one seems to have any issues re-inserting these. Any ideas?

UPDATE: I'm stuck....Got the entire assembly out fairly easily after following the instructions on this website...Didn't think it would b a problem as I've done several on my roomate's Honda. Anyways, we went to re-install the new assembly, and I can't do it. I get it all the way into the vehicle. It seems to get "stuck" about 2/3's of the way in. I've watched several videos and re read the write up, but no one seems to have any issues re-inserting these. Any ideas?

What's the part # on the box from Autozone? Is it the Duralast brand? If so, those are made by A1 Cardone. Just wanted the part # to make sure it's the correct piece (not sure why it would't be).

Also, you have to push it fairly hard to get seated. I pressed it in gingerly trying not to do any damage but eventually I just had to put some grunt into it (one good shove) and it popped right into place.

How hard is this swap? I need to do mine, and am debating between paying someone (~$200/side parts & labor) or just doing them myself... Are the Autozone ones ok? Should I buy it somewhere else? Reman vs. new?

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

We can't get it out no matter what we try now, and we don't want to push it any further in in case we damage that seal or whatever. I might be in over my head here now, but I'm not sure. The parts lined up almost identically. Now the axle is "stuck" like i mentioned. Can't pull it out anymore, and I'm afraid to push it further in now in case its the wrong part or something

The removal the first time was actually fairly easy. We did everything according to the guide I found on this site actually where a guy was fixing a boot. (sorry don't have time to find the link again) anyways, the only snag happened once we were putting the new assembly back in. We lined everything up and tried to put it in as level and straight as possible (also suggested in that thread) and we got it about 2/3 of the way in and now it wont go in or out. Maybe I need to muscle up and try to seed it in all the way? Thought I was already pushing pretty hard :/

I replaced both of my front axles for the first time around 4 months ago, and I was surprised by how hard I had to push to get them in all the way. They eventually "popped" into place with a little extra muscle. I used regular 7336 axles which are the remanufactured axles, vs the 7336N which is new.

I think what worked best for me was "pumping" the axle into the transmission. I think I ended up holding the shaft in the middle, and sort of pumping it in like a toilet plunger. I had never replaced an axle before, so I don't know how hard this job compared to replacing axles on another car.

Archived