LegacyGT.com

New Legacy or Altima? (Hint: Vote Subaru)

Always Learning

First post.

I have been driving Honda Accords for 20+ years now and I want something else.

My wife and I have narrowed the field to:

• 2013 Legacy 3.6R Limited (my vote)
  • 2013 Altima 3.5 SV (her vote)

There are some technology differences between the vehicles (e.g. the Altima has a proximity key and blind-spot detection). But, the difference really comes down to AWD vs. 4 more mpg.

We live in Northen New Jersey (snow 5+ days of the year, rain 50+ days.)

So, sports fans, please help me spend $30,000.

What are your best arguments to buy the Subaru?

Honestly, Nissan did a great job with the Altima.

From the given specs, MPG difference is actually +9/+13(city/hwy) for the Altima. Lately Nissan has been given praise for making their car's interior more Infinity-ish, which is a good thing. Also, Nissan has a pretty good track record as far as reliability goes.

As far as "drive", the Altima is going to be similar to the Accord so if you haven't ran into issues with the Accord up there; I don't think the Altima will cause any issues.

I don't know what your requirements are but I'd personally choose the Altima. I'd go for the Legacy if you absolutely need it(climbing hills/mountains in incliment weather, rough/slippery terrain, and/or need more "passing"/climbing power). For those needs, the Outback is probably more justifiable which may explain the difference in sales figure between the Outback and the Legacy(2-3x more Outback sales than Legacy's).

Fellow N.NJ here. As K2 said, they did a great job with the Altima. As a 3.6R owner, you're def going to go through more gas than an Altima and from what I can tell, the tech on the Altima is far better. As you said, it comes down to MPG's or AWD.

IMO, FWD for the most part is just fine for most consumers. I personally only buy AWD vehicles ever since we started buying Subarus. Subara AWD isn't bullet proof and it doesn't mean AWD makes you stop better in rain/ snow, BUT AWD gives me the confidence that I can get through pretty much any inclement weather without thinking about it.

So I would say go for the 3.6R, but be sure to test drive the new 4cyl.... I've heard that it drives very well especially with the updated CVT. That is a little more apples to apples going against the Altima for MPG's.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

It's funny how you got the opposite response than what you are expecting.

I have a 07 Altima 2.5 SL in the family, it's a really nice DD. The 2.5 got no power what-so-ever, but the CVT is smooth. I've also read a lot about how the new Altima is great. Interior looks very good! So I'd assume they improved from the previous gen. With the V6 in the Altima, it should be really good car! Not to mention that IMO the new Altima looks WAY better than the 5th Gen Legacy

I'm driving an Altima 2.5 from enterprise cuz my WRX was totaled, and I have to say get the scooby! This is the base crap Altima, but FWD in the mountains is no fun, actually FWD in general is pretty lame. I just don't like the car. Cheap inside, no power at all, and zero fun to drive. Gas mileage is awesome due to the 6spd auto, but other than that, B-L-A-N-D meh overall.

HTH

Edit: even my 65yo father said the Altima is lame, he actually came up with the bland title, not me lol

My dad has been car-shopping, and we've done quite a bit of research into this exact topic. I've driven the 2013 Altima 2.5 and 3.5, as well as the 2013 Legacy 2.5i and 3.6R.

Of all of them, the Legacy 3.6R was my favorite. Handling was good (although our tester's tires may have been low on air), it was finished up nicely inside and out, it was powerful (although the EZ is a bit lazy), and it is, of course, a Subaru :)

The Altimas seemed a little too low-rent for how much money you'd pay, especially for the more powerful engines. We test-drove leather interior versions of every car, and even the Altima's leather interior felt cheap and tinny. My mom owns a 2011 Outback 3.6 that she's put 30,000 miles on already, and I can attest to the fact that the interior in that thing looks and feels really good and lasts extremely well. It handled ok, but didn't blow my doors off.

And don't even get me started on how much better AWD is than FWD. As the owner of a 2008 Acura TL (see my avatar), I can say without a doubt that they should have made that generation of TL with AWD - it would have been absolutely perfect instead of almost perfect.

For what it's worth, though, my dad has eventually settled on... wait for it... the Volvo S60 T5 AWD. With the AWD option, the Beechwood leather interior, and no unnecessary safety overload, it comes out to $37,000. It's about $5,000 more expensive than the similarly-equipped leather interior Altima 3.5 or Legacy 3.6R, but oh my god is it worth it. Sit in and drive this car and you will be transformed. The interior is so nice, and the seats are SO comfortable... it's amazing. The thing drives amazingly, too. Handling is precise and responsive, the car's quick on its feet, very nimble, and VERY fun. Very approachable too; even my mom liked it (and she doesn't like the TL hahahaha). It even returns 20/29 MPG. I am so pissed off that Volvo does not offer a wagon version in the US; if they did I would DEFINITELY be saving up for one. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was... but it basically made all other cars seem kind of irrelevant.

So basically, my final vote is Volvo S60 T5 AWD. Because comfortable, racecar, and MPG :) I know that's not what you were expecting to hear... but it's my opinion based on having driven all three.

And don't even get me started on how much better AWD is than FWD. As the owner of a 2008 Acura TL (see my avatar), I can say without a doubt that they should have made that generation of TL with AWD - it would have been absolutely perfect instead of almost perfect.

I think that may have been intentional in order to sell RLs; the AWD TL basically has the same engine/drivetrain as the AWD RL. The new RL, RLX, is going to have a hybrid AWD system.

Here's what I meant by a difference of 4 mpg:

The Legacy 3.6 gets 18/25 mpg.

The Altima 3.5 gets 22/31 mpg.

Yeah, I was actually looking at the 2.5 SV. My mistake!

I think that may have been intentional in order to sell RLs; the AWD TL basically has the same engine/drivetrain as the AWD RL. The new RL, RLX, is going to have a hybrid AWD system.

Yeah, I was actually looking at the 2.5 SV. My mistake!

I don't think so, because the newest TL also has AWD as an option. It's just too phat to make any use of it haha

I don't think so, because the newest TL also has AWD as an option. It's just too phat to make any use of it haha

I was talking about the older models when only the RL had sh-awd. The current AWD TSX is basically the same as that latest "RL"....and the new RLX have an AWD system that's supposed to be a step up than what the current AWD TL has.

For what it's worth, though, my dad has eventually settled on... wait for it... the Volvo S60 T5 AWD. With the AWD option, the Beechwood leather interior, and no unnecessary safety overload, it comes out to $37,000...

Until the car reaches 80,000miles and everything inside and out starts blowing up and going wrong with it. Volvo = POS. not to mention how the value of the car isn't worth anything five years later. GL working on those cars since everything is ran off of computer boards. Transmissions from volvo aren't even rebuildable, if anything goes wrong you have to buy an entire new tranny. Volvo claims they have some secret technology within them....Aside all that, ill admit the interior of a Volvo is outstanding, comfortable, and practical. Thats where it begins and ends though.

We bought an S60 T6 AWD when the T5 was only FWD. The S60 is a tough car to compare against an Altima or Legacy even though the T5 now has AWD available.

A T5 AWD with nav MSRP's for $41.5. My 3.6R with nav and somewhat comparable features MSRP $33. Of course Volvo throws in City Safety and a 5yr warranty and maintanance. That's a big diff in costs.

We do love our T6. It's plenty fast, gets good MPG's and very very safe.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

We bought an S60 T6 AWD when the T5 was only FWD. The S60 is a tough car to compare against an Altima or Legacy even though the T5 now has AWD available.

A T5 AWD with nav MSRP's for $41.5. My 3.6R with nav and somewhat comparable features MSRP $33. Of course Volvo throws in City Safety and a 5yr warranty and maintanance. That's a big diff in costs.

We do love our T6. It's plenty fast, gets good MPG's and very very safe.

If the 3.6R handled like the Volvo, I'd say get the 3.6R. But it doesn't... the 3.6R too front-heavy because of its big engine. I've never driven a T6, but I'd assume that's a bit front-heavy too given that it weighs 300 pounds more than the T5. I can tell you that the T5 with AWD is easily the best-handling new car I've driven (I have not driven a 2013 BMW 328i).

This also shows how much of a shame it is that Subaru killed the LGT for 2013. It was a mistake to make it only with a manual in the first place, because it would be the best-handling Legacy by far. It would have the balance and peppiness of the 2.5i with the power of the 3.6R. And if it had been made with an auto option it would have sold better because it wouldn't be alienating customers like a manual.

I compare the S60 to the Legacy because the S60 is sold at what is in my opinion a justly higher price. For the extra ~$8,000 MSRP, you're getting better MPG, a better interior, better handling, and more safety. If the S60 was lacking any of these advantages, I wouldn't make the comparison.

For a daily...I vote Altima sadly. At least if you're leaning towards the Legacy mostly because of AWD. I've always subscribed to the idea that FWD + Winter Tires > AWD + All Seasons. I daily drive an Avalon and winter tires + FWD is fine for 95% of our driving. If I need something more I bring out the LGT with Blizzaks, but it is really rare. Also, don't discount the proximity key and other tech. After a year with my proximity key I would struggle to go back. Its just so convenient for a daily driver.

If you are not just shopping for a daily driver but want something more fun to drive on the weekends, the LGT is better than the Altima IMO. Torque steer and FWD kinda ruin canyon carving. CVT vs 5spd Auto is more a matter of personal preference, but I would never own a 'fun car' with a CVT...It just feels disconnected.

Until the car reaches 80,000miles and everything inside and out starts blowing up and going wrong with it. Volvo = POS. not to mention how the value of the car isn't worth anything five years later. GL working on those cars since everything is ran off of computer boards. Transmissions from volvo aren't even rebuildable, if anything goes wrong you have to buy an entire new tranny. Volvo claims they have some secret technology within them....Aside all that, ill admit the interior of a Volvo is outstanding, comfortable, and practical. Thats where it begins and ends though.

I would say that about Volvos made last decade... but this new one looks legitimately very well put together. It's complicated, definitely, but it looks like everything works well and is built to last.

I drove an 2005 SER Altima - loved it. However, todays models are very bland and aftermarket support is almost non existent (not that there was much for my model either - pulley, springs, CAI, and an ebay grille) - which actually had me look towards the Subaru line up. I live in Houston Texas - no winter and no hills - BUT a hella lot of rain, and that is where the Subbie's AWD is like no other FWD. The subbie is actually bigger in the back than the Altima too. My vote - the Subaru. I switched from driving Nissan cars for the last 12 years. IMO.

I would hold of for 2014 Mazda 6 :) Those new engines are pretty sick and if us spec model looks anything like JDM/EURO it will be best looking sedan is US period. I know, I know very helpful post :)

Haha, I'm surprised you bring that up...I've been eying that too!

Archived